Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I've been using SnapperMail for 3 days now, and the stability of my Treo 650 has gone way up since switching from the standard VersaMail. Every app that goes onto my precious meets the PalmOne Treo 650 Compatibility List standard so I was annoyed and a bit flustered at my one or two per day resets. Since the switch to Snapper I have had one reset in 3 days. My mail is POP3 so I went with Snapper over Chatter, mainly from what I've read on these boards. All I can say is, "Nice call guys and girls!"
    I've got both, Chatter for my Fastmail acct (personal) and Snapper for my IMAP work acct mainly because this one requires a VPN connection and Snapper handles that much better. Would be nice if Chatter and MergicVPN worked better together because by themselves, they are excellent...it just takes too many button pushes and navigation to engage Mergic and than have Chatter (push or pull), but with auto connect, Snapper is go to go with one button fetch...
    LouisW,

Yes, good question...does anyone know if Chatter can archive old messages onto SD card? I don't have 15mb worth of email like Louis, but one day I might.

By the way, yes, I am a SnapperMail Enterprise user...very happy with it so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    LouisW,

Yes, good question...does anyone know if Chatter can archive old messages onto SD card? I don't have 15mb worth of email like Louis, but one day I might.

By the way, yes, I am a SnapperMail Enterprise user...very happy with it so far.
    I don't use Chatter (yet), but there is a Chatter forum here, if you have questions. (Provided someone, maybe Marc doesn't answer it beforehand.)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    snapper isetting to relaease snappermail 3.0. it will rival or surpass Chatter. You'll see...
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    As a long time SM user, I admit, I'm starting to jump on the Chatter bandwagon a little. I paid for SM Ent. last year and it works for the most part, but I frequently get "DB already exists" errors. Some sort of corruption error, I guess. I usually just restore from my previous backup, but it's a PITA, and you know they'll charge for upgrade costs.
    I'm not a Chatter convert yet(using trial version), but the fact that POP3 is now available is forcing me to reevalaute. That what pretty much kept me from trying Chatter.

Anyway, not trying to hijack this thread, just my .02.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwman
    Anyway, not trying to hijack this thread, just my .02.
    I don't think you're hijacking it. It is afterall, "Is Snapper Dead?", and you're giving a reason why you may switch.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    treoneo - I can't wait to see it!

Marc
    For what it's worth, and at the risk of provoking, all the chatter nazis ... frankly, despite all the product enhancements to Chatter, I will continue to support Snapper. Here's why, arguably, these are all subjective:
    1. Stability - for me, a completely stable product - I don't get errors, conflicts, nor do I have to download, 2,3,4,....10 new versions per week to keep up with the bug fixes,etc. I am a heavy (mobile) corporate email user and stability is paramount. But then again, I don't download a lot of software - I have 2day, takephone , agendus and a couple of other standalone (DA,keycaps,mergic vpn)
    2. Interface - simple, clean, intuitive, just live every other email client I have ever worked with...absolutely no learning curve.
    3. Support - I am comfortable with their level of support - as noted, the product has shown solid stability and the few times I have needed support, they have been reponsive.

Yes, it is unnecessarily more expensive than it should be. And no, I do not like paying for upgrades. As for IMAP - is a technical not a business issue for me so as a feature it carries little relevance.
    Yes, I tried Chatter. I found it awkward to use. full of errors - buggy,etc.(btw Marc if the first thought out of your head is what version did I try...pls try the latest version, you would only be supporting my view.) Difficult to setup and frankly, exactly what it is, IM software morphing into email software - a mixed bag of an interface without a clear design or focus - like it is growing and being developed by committee.

Anyway, I believe it is this lack of polish, "productization", and stability that will continue to relegate chatter to the hobbyists and allow snapper to continue to license in the broader corporate community.

-B
    Basic,

Don't get me wrong but we all know what you are saying and that's why some of us use chatter and others snapper and some others both. Now if Snapper comes out with all the features Chatter has then there would be no reason in using Chatter. Marc is a great one man show while snapper has a whole development team, but still both of them do a great job with email.

Al
    basic -

The stable versions of Chatter have been very stable, unless you're trying to use background SSL, which really isn't supported. The VAST majority of people loading 3, 5, or 10 versions a week are people who are active beta testers; only a small percentage of my users even TRIES the beta versions. And it may surprise you to know that many of my users find Chatter MORE stable than either VersaMail or Snapper. And, as you surely must realize, much of the instability that people have had in the past was BECAUSE they were hobbyists, and therefore loading LOTS of software onto their Treos. To a large extent, you are confusing cause and effect. The other reason hobbyists will be more attracted to Chatter is because it is FAR more powerful as an IMAP client, if that's what you're looking for; obviously, these things don't have any meaning for you, but why disparage those for whom the features and performance DO have meaning?

As for your comments about IM moving toward email, this is utter nonsense. ChatterEmail has almost NO user interface features in common with the IM version of Chatter. In any event, user interface is a subjective thing, and people will always disagree. I happen to find Snapper's screens cluttered and ugly, but I don't go around saying it's because they're foreigners or make other unwarranted assumptions about motivations or history.

The fact that you're happy with Snapper speaks for itself and requires no explanation. The negativity about Chatter strikes me as gratuitous and badly informed.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    The stable versions of Chatter have been very stable, unless you're trying to use background SSL, which really isn't supported. . . And it may surprise you to know that many of my users find Chatter MORE stable than either VersaMail or Snapper. And, as you surely must realize, much of the instability that people have had in the past was BECAUSE they were hobbyists, and therefore loading LOTS of software onto their Treos. To a large extent, you are confusing cause and effect.
    Marc,

While I agree with most of your comments in response to Basic, I've quoted the above because for some of us this just hasn't been the case. I keep trying each new stable version of Chatter (I happily paid for a license), but I keep going back to Snapper precisely because of stability. I sure wish I could put my finger on what makes Chatter cause so many problems on my system (Sprint Treo 650), but so far I can't. My software set has changed very little over the last year, but while Chatter's stability has improved, it is far short of Snapper in my experience (even though I did give up on using background SSL in Chatter, and even though Snapper has not been problem-free, either). I realize that my experience may not be the norm, but some of us have had pretty bad luck with Chatter. Not to be all doom and gloom, Chatter is a great program and I sorely miss it while I'm on one of my Snapper interludes, but until I can get it to work consistently without trashing my Treo, I'll keep going back to Snapper.

Keep up the great work, as you are ahead in many areas and closing the gap in others. For me in many ways it will be a race between Chatter's improving stability and Snapper's eventual use of the "idle" command.

Curt
    Hi, Curt.

In all honestly, I'm not aware of ANY stability issues in the latest betas that aren't related to:

1) Background SSL, which isn't supported, or
    2) "Enable Local Network Time" (which is a Palm OS bug)

If you do have issues on a clean installation that aren't one of these, then we should work on determining exactly what it is. I have gone WEEKS without a random reset (even with all the new debug versions I run), so I think whatever stability issues you're still seeing should be looked at. And you haven't sent me any reports or logs in months, right? (Just curious in case I dropped the ball)

Marc
    Hi, Curt.

In all honestly, I'm not aware of ANY stability issues in the latest betas that aren't related to:

1) Background SSL, which isn't supported, or
    2) "Enable Local Network Time" (which is a Palm OS bug)

If you do have issues on a clean installation that aren't one of these, then we should work on determining exactly what it is. I have gone WEEKS without a random reset (even with all the new debug versions I run), so I think whatever stability issues you're still seeing should be looked at. And you haven't sent me any reports or logs in months, right? (Just curious in case I dropped the ball)

Marc
    Marc,

I don't even try to use background SSL anymore (I do use SSL with Snapper, but of course that is not background ;-) and I never use local network time, as it causes problems with or without Chatter. I always do a clean install. Lately with Chatter I'm down to around 5-7 resets per week, but I also seem to lose one or more of my mailboxes at least once per week. With Snapper I have no resets but seem to lose the ability to see my card archive about once every 2 weeks. I have figured out how to work around that problem. The Chatter problems I cannot seem to solve. Next time I try it (which I will do with the next stable release), I'll keep a log and send it. I haven't done that in awhile.

At the end of the day, I just hate having to spend so much time keeping things going smoothly. Soft resets are annoying, even aggravating, and losing a mailbox is worse. Sigh . . .

Curt
    Curt - The only times I've ever seen lost mailboxes is post-Updater. And people who have done the zero-reset haven't seen the problem since.

Marc

The other reason hobbyists will be more attracted to Chatter is because it is FAR more powerful as an IMAP client, if that's what you're looking for;
    Not in my experience. I've tried both, and found the 2.x versions of Snapper more capable in terms of IMAP functions (moving messages locally, syncing multiple folders in each account, etc., etc.). I can't speak to your stability claims, since I only tried Chatter for less than a week, but I've found Snapper to be very stable (it's never crashed my Palms/Treos as far as I know, except once when I let my mailboxes overflow the available memory on my Treo). I'd believe claims that Chatter is as stable, but it would be hard to believe it's more stable.
    jimf - You can do all of those things (with messages/folders) in Chatter, but you can do them IN REAL TIME (i.e. they are moved as you ask them to be moved, are continuously synced - if you use that option, etc.) In addition, you can have real-time filtered mailboxes and real-time full server folder searches. And of course, you don't have to wait while any of your actions are performed; they happen asynchronously behind the scenes.

Marc
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    I'd believe claims that Chatter is as stable, but it would be hard to believe it's more stable.
    Actually, my experience on both Treo 600 and Treo 650 are quite opposite of yours. SnapperMail has reset my phone so many times I can't begin to count. I will have it set to 20 minute download, and hear the phone resetting from across the room to look at the clock and find it 20 minutes after the hour (Snapper does seem to be a program that does it's interval "by the hour" and not when you first start it).

I've yet to have one Chatter related reset on my Treo 650 (knock wood), and I absolutely love the folders implementation, because as an IMAP user, I have NO need to keep "moved" messages on my phone for a lot of folders. I had created a rule on my master mailbox that "moved" various messages to other folders if they hit my "filed" folder and moved most messages to Filed just to avoid having to define 15 or more folders on Snapper to do the job. Now I can get a message that would go into a folder I might only need to move a message to once a week, and have no problems doing that.

I also recognize that Marc is a Lone Gunman here, and because of that I'm happy to see frequent "fixes" come out. I'm a "Beta tester" by nature though, so for me having "released" code of email products is a rare experience

We all have our own needs for a program obviously. For me, IMAP and seamless sync of message moves and deletions are the primary criteria for choosing an email product. I've purchased many different email programs (SnapperMail included), but except when I'm just "testing" I've been won over my Marc and Chatter! If you had asked me 6 months ago, I would have told you I was using Snapper and "liking" it, but I always had a laundry list of things I wish worked differently. I have only a handful of petty little wishes now <g>.

Danita
    Well, I can't explain your issues, but I've never had a reset problem with Snapper since I started using it around version 1.8. It's been very stable in my experience. Again, I'm not making instability claims against Chatter, since I haven't experienced those either, I just feel compelled to offer my experience as a data point in dispute of general claims that Snapper is unstable.
    That's fine, Marc. Nice work. But that wouldn't lead me to classify Chatter as a "FAR more powerful" IMAP client. Nice features, but not critical ones, and definitely not justification for dismissing the powerful IMAP capabilities in Snapper. I understand your need to advertise your product, though. Good luck with your sales.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast