Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1.    #1  
    Okay so I've been meaning to get GPS for my Treo 650, and well think its time to move on it.

    Now I will be purchasing a product from TomTom. Reason; a lot of users seem to love it here, and even Palmone's GPS kit for the Zire 72 is that of TomTom's. Anyways before I move, I got a few questions

    1. Well I have to make a choice here. Now I could get the Bluetooth one (http://www.tomtom.com/products/produ...=27&Language=4), or the wired one (http://www.tomtom.com/products/produ...=26&Language=4). Bluetooth is wireless and well once you go wireless its very hard to go back to regular wired technology. But there is always the downside. I'm not worried about battery power, but the connection between the two. I want to make sure it will hold.

    2. I have a tendency to free drive. I just go in random directions just to think and to relax (meh im weird okay i know). Now does the Tom Tom system allow free drive. Meaning if I were to start to drive, could the screen show my location in real time even though i dont have a route programmed. Or is this not allowed nor supported?

    3. Instead of getting the Tom Tom PalmOS kit, could i get either one of these products: http://www.tomtom.com/products/categ...D=0&Language=4

    Thanks guys for all your help, its very much appreciated
  2. #2  
    If you're really concerned about the reliability of the BT connection, don't worry, it's quite solid in my experience. If there's ever a glitch it's occasionally the unit takes a while to hook up with the satellites; or, sometimes (if the entire handshaking process takes too long, I think) I'll get a reset -- but as soon as I start up TomTom again everything is fine again.

    As for how you decide to drive: if you have the voice turned on and a destination chosen, the voice will keep telling you to make a U-turn, take the next left, etc. to get you back where it wants you to go -- but when this happens to me, I just shut off the sound. I'm not familiar with a "just shut up and show where I'm at" setting, but there might be one -- if not, it's a good suggestion.

    As for the standalone units -- sometimes I'm not sure why I didn't get one of those, except maybe it's cheaper (?), and it's more convenient to have one device than to carry around a bunch.
  3. #3  
    I played around with a few PDA GPS solutions, but they all suc*, in my opinion. I bought the Tom Tom Go stand alone, and although it costs a bit more, it works like a charm!!! Love it!!! From my experience, it is much better to have a separate GPS unit as opposed to PDA integrated. Trust me!
  4. #4  
    If there's no route programmed in it, ie you didn't set a destination, it will show your current location, speed, etc. just fine in my experience
  5. #5  
    TomTom is simply awesome for the Treo IMO.

    With respect to your questions:

    1 -- Bluetooth is extremely reliable. As for the Bluetooth GPS, I have the GlobalSat BT 338 and its battery life is around 15 hours. It charges up quickly, is small, and has the option of charging from the car lighter.

    2 -- Yes. TomTom Navigator will display where you are driving even if you do not indicate a destination.

    3 -- Obviously, it's your choise whether you get it for your Treo or as a stand alone. I like having it in my Treo since it's portable, cheaper, and I haven't had any problems.
  6.    #6  
    swwwwweeeeeeeeetttttt guys swwwwweeeeeeeetttttttttt

    no I gotta find a place here in Ottawa/Montreal where I can see the product before I get it
  7. #7  
    Great question on whether to go with stand-alone kit or Treo. Small screen with maps that need to be loaded are significant disadvantages. These are somewhat mitigated by speaking turns (really helps) and large SD cards (load'em once or move back and forth between computer).

    I really perfer the Treo solution because the cost is substantially lower than stand alone unit and I really want it when I'm traveling for work; which is normally flying and then renting cars. It's so portable and handy - it's a great solution.

    I have NEVER had a pairing problem, even though I have a HS850 and a ThinkOutside KB. TomTom is one of the few really stable programs I run; it has never reset while running, but I have had it reset upon starting. At first I thought it might be buggy, but now I'm convinced it is determining if there are memory allocation/register/etc. issues and it is simply deciding to flush them with a soft reset before starting.

    The only things I'm not crazy about: The GPS unit has a fairly strong magnet in it (to stick it to the roof?), so don't put it in same pocket as your wallet; the On/Off button turns on too easily in your briefcase/pocket, yet you have to hold the button for a while, to turn it off; I wish the display had a compass (I think the new software will); it currently won't remember a "custom" route (but I think new sofware will).

    Awesome package - wait for the new software (just a couple of more days) which will have the updated maps and order from internet - you will not be disapointed!!

    p.s. I think the interface is fantastic, but be advised, this is no different than any other GPS product (airplane, boat, etc.) you really do have to work with both the hardware and the software to prevent problems (e.g. the difference between the commands "bear right" and "turn right" as your comming up to an exit ramp on overpass), because it is nearly impossible to trouble shoot any small screen in heavy 70mph traffic - enjoy
    Using my Pre to help run: www.at-peace.net

    Sharp Zaurus->HP Jornada->Sony Clie T615->Treo 650 (CDMA)->Treo 755p->Palm Pre (Disappointed) -> Iphone4 (Happy)
  8. #8  
    For those of you using the Bluetooth GPS, do you also use a Bluetooth headset? Do you have any issues receiving inbound calls on the headset while using the GPS?

    As for the interface, I've used a number of GPS interfaces, and I've found TomTom to be one of the easiest to use - I bought the wired version for my wife to use w/ her Tungsten C, and it's fantastic (other than a pesky reset issue that I think has more to do with her PatientKeeper S/W than anything). And as mentioned above, as long as you don't have a route programmed, it will flawlessly track your progress and speed.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMiami
    I really perfer the Treo solution because the cost is substantially lower than stand alone unit... It's so portable and handy - it's a great solution.

    I wish the display had a compass (I think the new software will); it currently won't remember a "custom" route (but I think new sofware will).
    Kev is right. Portability is important, and less $ than a tomtom go. I also wish there was a simple compass reading on the screen.

    I'm amazed that tomtom has restaurants in the database. In Vegas recently, it brought us to a local Olive Garden and Applebee's with no problem.

    I cannot recommend tomtom highly enough!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Katway
    TomTom is simply awesome for the Treo IMO.

    With respect to your questions:

    1 -- Bluetooth is extremely reliable. As for the Bluetooth GPS, I have the GlobalSat BT 338 and its battery life is around 15 hours. It charges up quickly, is small, and has the option of charging from the car lighter.

    2 -- Yes. TomTom Navigator will display where you are driving even if you do not indicate a destination.

    3 -- Obviously, it's your choise whether you get it for your Treo or as a stand alone. I like having it in my Treo since it's portable, cheaper, and I haven't had any problems.
    Yeah I remember hearing about the GlobalSat BT GPS reciever destroying the competition. I just realized something, Tom Tom is the software provider, who are kind enough to offer it in a bundle pack with a GPS reciever. Who makes their reciever?

    KevMiami thanks for your input!
  11. #11  
    I'm confused. I went to the Tom Tom website and I see there is a Tom Tom Navigator 5 and a Tom Tom Mobile 5 wich are supposed to work for the treo. Then on buy.com
    http://www.buy.com/retail/searchresu...igator&loc=101
    there is a Tom Tom Navigator 5 wired/wireless.

    What and where should I buy if I want to get the latest version 5 both hardware/software?

    Thanks,

    Al
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by VBGlacier
    For those of you using the Bluetooth GPS, do you also use a Bluetooth headset? Do you have any issues receiving inbound calls on the headset while using the GPS?

    As for the interface, I've used a number of GPS interfaces, and I've found TomTom to be one of the easiest to use - I bought the wired version for my wife to use w/ her Tungsten C, and it's fantastic (other than a pesky reset issue that I think has more to do with her PatientKeeper S/W than anything). And as mentioned above, as long as you don't have a route programmed, it will flawlessly track your progress and speed.
    Anyone with an answer as to how well a bluetooth headset will work with a bluetooth gps?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by SFTreo650
    Anyone with an answer as to how well a bluetooth headset will work with a bluetooth gps?
    I havent tried it but they *recommend* to turn of the phone part of the Treo650 while using TomTom, I have never received a call so cannot comment if it works.

    **I have had appointments and stuff pop up while navigating and simply pressed "clear all" and they went away

    The TomTom with the BT338 is an excellent combo! ...someone mentioned a magnet? mine doesnt seem to have one and I tried on a few metal surfaces and nothing...mine simply has 2 small rubber feet on the bottom and I have set on a few dash's and it stays secure while driving
  14. #14  
    Anyone have some pics. of their Treo 650 with Tom Tom Navigator running on it? Isn't the screen really "too small" to be usefull? TIA!!
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    Yeah I remember hearing about the GlobalSat BT GPS reciever destroying the competition. I just realized something, Tom Tom is the software provider, who are kind enough to offer it in a bundle pack with a GPS reciever. Who makes their reciever?

    KevMiami thanks for your input!
    While I can't vouch for the info... GPSPassion forum has indicated that the new TomTom GPS receiver is made by GlobalSat. While the TomTom will be thinner, I believe it will also be longer. So, there really isn't much of a size difference since the GlobalSat is pretty darn tiny, as is the new TomTom GPS receiver. Once TomTom Navigator 5 is out there, Globalsat will probably sell more bluetooth GPS if it is indeeed making them for TomTom (exclusivity means guaranteed sales), then it will from its own brand, which must compete with other manufacturers.
    Last edited by Katway; 05/13/2005 at 07:16 AM.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    I'm confused. I went to the Tom Tom website and I see there is a Tom Tom Navigator 5 and a Tom Tom Mobile 5 wich are supposed to work for the treo. Then on buy.com
    http://www.buy.com/retail/searchresu...igator&loc=101
    there is a Tom Tom Navigator 5 wired/wireless.

    What and where should I buy if I want to get the latest version 5 both hardware/software?

    Thanks,

    Al
    TomTom "Navigator" and "Mobile" are different products. I don't think Mobile is a product for the US market, while Navigator is available in both markets. In any event, it does not appear that TomTom Mobile is available to Palm platformed smartphones.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo4me
    Anyone have some pics. of their Treo 650 with Tom Tom Navigator running on it? Isn't the screen really "too small" to be usefull? TIA!!
    See the screenshots on the TomTom website @ the bottom of this page http://www.tomtom.com/products/produ...=27&Language=4

    I have had no problems with the screen size. That being said, I don't look at the screen that often and the voice prompts have been great.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo4me
    Anyone have some pics. of their Treo 650 with Tom Tom Navigator running on it? Isn't the screen really "too small" to be usefull? TIA!!
    I was skeptical about this also, but since purchasing Tom Tom for PalmOS the screen hasn't been a problem. I prefer the 3D view and the voice prompts are loud and helpful.

    Just an amazing product...
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

    Catch me on Twitter

    Google+ Me
  19. jkoons's Avatar
    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    Okay so I've been meaning to get GPS for my Treo 650, and well think its time to move on it.
    I have this package and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I've used it in PA, MD, NY and NJ so far and it's been spot on every time! I’ve used it in cities as well as on “the back roads” and it has never steered me wrong.

    The GPS Bluetooth connection has never been a problem for me; it has worked every time without a problem. It pairs up with my Treo 650 right away and stays connected until I turn the unit off. I continue to have problems with my Motorola Bluetooth headsets, but these problems are preexisting and it seems as if there is no hope.

    If I am not using the system to take me somewhere, I sometimes leave it on and it shows me where I am at. You can use it to ‘free drive’, which is actually pretty cool. I have done this around my neighborhood and I have actually learned some new roads by doing this.

    I opted for the Bluetooth receiver because I wanted the portability. I have actually placed the BT-338 on my belt and used cotoGPS for Geocaching. I also like the fact that I don’t have to worry about mounting another gadget in my vehicle. I don't have to run a power cable to the GPS receiver as the battery life is 15 hours. I have not tested this, but I have had the unit on for nine hours straight and it never failed.

    I can only recommend this bundle to anyone who wants to add GPS navigation to their Treo 650. Semsons, Inc. offered the bundle at a great price and it was shipped as promised and on time. The TomTom software installed without incident. I was able to add maps to my SD card without a single problem (I currently have 4 map sets loaded). I’d say that I’ve used the GPS pretty hard this past week, and it definitely gets an ‘A’!
    Sprint PCS Treo 600 & 650
    Verizon Treo 700w
    www.James-K.com
  20. jkoons's Avatar
    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJstreet
    Just an amazing product...
    I second that!
    Sprint PCS Treo 600 & 650
    Verizon Treo 700w
    www.James-K.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions