1.    #1  
    Im curious to know if anyone has done a comparison between these two.

Apparently the MMCmobile is designed specifically for Smartphones. Link

Since the treo uses both, i would rather invest in the more tailored memory card.
  2.    #2  
    Nobody has even checked into it?
    the 13 pin new tech is great, but the Treo 650 will not be able to use the full 13 pins, just the standard 6

The Sandisk Extreme are cool cards, but not supported (speed wise) by the 650. Best bets; Sandisk Ultra 2, or ATP
    are there observable real world advantages to the Ultra SD cards ??

has anyone done an A/B comparison of the same application performed on the 650 -- once with an Ultra SD, and identically once again with a standard SD (a movie playback for example) ??

I understood that smoother video playback at higher resolutions would be a possible application where the higher speed would be advantagous -- or shooting Treo "video".

But my movie playback using a standard 1gb SD is fine, (as long as there's not a high rate of pixel change, like for a chase).

what have you or others seen ??
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Tagging along
    I actually use a MMC card in my 650. Works great and MMC cards are a little cheaper than SD cards and 100% compatible.. From what I have read though, MMC cards are a little slower, but not materially slower.
    The Treo 600/650 are meant to be used with SD1.01 and MMC 3.2 spec cards (the current SD/MMC cards out on the market).

The next generation MMC (spec 4.1/4.X) are called MMCplus (MMC successor) and MMCmobile (RS-MMC successor). The new spec offers much higher transfer speeds via higher clockspeeds and a wider transfer bandwidth.

Although the new MMC cards are backwards compatible, you won't be able to take advantage of the higher speeds with the Treos since they are designed to run on the old spec.

If you do want to buy a new gen card for your Treo, an MMCplus is probably a better choice as Treo's don't require the small form factor of the MMCmobile and will be cheaper per megabyte.

I think when you're referring to "extreme SD" you might mean the Extreme III sandisk SD. The extreme III is running on the SD1.1 spec, the next generation SD. Just like the new MMC spec, SD1.1 offers higher transfer rates and is backwards compatible with (SD 1.01), but you won't be able to really see this on your current device (i.e. your treo).

The new speeds are great. We're seeing 30MB/s transfer on our MMCplus and 20MB/s on our SD1.1 cards, hopefully we'll see more devices out there ready for the speeds =D

-Jeff
    www.atpinc.com
    jwh@us.atpinc.com
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    ...The Sandisk Extreme are cool cards, but not supported (speed wise) by the 650. Best bets; Sandisk Ultra 2, or ATP
    The Sandisk Extreme III card gives a higher write speed than the Ultra2. The difference in write speed was 41% vs 221% using VFSMark.

My VFSMark results:

Extreme III
    File Create: 386%
    File Delete: 189%
    File Write: 221%
    File Read: 692%
    File Seek: 786%
    DB Export: 216%
    DB Import: 508%
    Record Access: 754%
    Resource Access: 738%
    VFSMark: 498

Ultra II
    File Create: 608%
    File Delete: 256%
    File Write: 47%
    File Read: 653%
    File Seek: 737%
    DB Export: 235%
    DB Import: 423%
    Record Access: 683%
    Resource Access: 662%
    VFSMark: 478

The difference taking pictures and video to the SD card, and doing SD card backups is AMAZING. I know, I have both. (Actually, I have the Extreme, my wife has the Ultra. She is not a speed freak like I am.. )
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    ^i stand corrected then. Sorry, its just i remembered that when the Treo 650 was launched, the people at palm said the Treo 650 would be able to use the speeds made for the U2 but not for the extreme
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    ^i stand corrected then. Sorry, its just i remembered that when the Treo 650 was launched, the people at palm said the Treo 650 would be able to use the speeds made for the U2 but not for the extreme
    What? He IS saying the Extreme 3 is faster then the U2.

So can the treo take advantage of the speed?

Or should i say, should i buy an e3 card or u2 card?

I plan on watching movies.
    From my VFSMark results, the read speeds are similar. They are both plenty fast for movies and MP3s. The difference in write speeds will be most noticeable when taking pics and videos directly to SD card, or doing backups directly to the SD card, but whether its worth it for you or not is completely up to you. The Ultra cards are excellent cards. If watching movies is your primary use, either works fine.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    zboater i remember our discussion from before. We've looked into this from our last discussion since the same question was asked about our ATP SD1.01 spec cards.

We came to the conclusion that the reason for this slower write speed is due to the way that VFSmark performs the benchmark. We started by talking to our buddies at PalmOne and asked them about the issue. It turned out that they had their own in house benchmarking program that they gave us. I actually couldn't find the results from before so I performed the tests over again today. I'm not allowed to post the name of this program, but I can post the numerical results. I tested a Sandisk Extreme III (SD1.1) and one of our 2.0GB SD cards (SD1.01). I grabbed a few treos from the lab and ran this test on, a Sprint Treo 650, a Cingular Treo 650, and a Treo 600.

See below link for benchmark results (BPS->bits per second):
    http://flash.atpinc.com/temp/5-18-05.jpg
    http://flash.atpinc.com/temp/treos.jpg

RD1 = Small file read
    RD3 = Medium file read
    RD32 = Large file read
    WR1 = Small file write
    WR3 = Medium file write
    WR32 = Large file write

Of course I can't account for the exact performance difference between the Ultra II and the Extreme III. All I can say is that in general, SD1.1 cards on SD1.01 devices won't be running at close to their full speed and will be on the same playing field as SD1.01 cards.
    www.atpinc.com
    jwh@us.atpinc.com