Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Finally got tired of waiting, so switched to Cingular to get a '650. Literally, the next day I got a call from CNG customer service and an email from the local store manager telling me my wait is over, hurray! I have a couple of weeks left in the 30 window in which I can return the unitl and stick with Verizon. So far I have found the coverage to be worse than Verizon. Any reasons why I should not switch back, such as features, plans, data speed? I rarely leave the country, so GSM is not a big deal. But I often use my cell phone for internet access for my business notebook, and so far the CNG data rate with PDANet has been about 50K. I am in San Fran area. Is EVDO better? Anyone know for sure if the VZ 650 will support it? If not, should I expect about the same speed with 1XRTT as I'm getting with Cingular. I know the VZ data plan is higher, but better speed is worth something to me financially. With CNG I have the 600 minute plan plus unlimited data at $40.

Mike
    Last edited by oldmike; 05/11/2005 at 05:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I would recommend leaving Cingular soonish.

Cingular still cannot predict the exact amount of your monthly billing. Few if any of the Cingular CSRs can accurately describe Cingular's internet billing policies and practices. Please see many other threads here on bills ranging from $300.00 to $1,100.00 in overages because CSRs signed us up to plans that they, and we, did not understand and could not possibly discover with the information available.

Cingular also has billed me an additional $150.00 for early cancelation even though I CLEARLY canceled before the 30 day grace period.
    Why isn't Unlimited really unlimited, is what I'd like to know! How can unlimited get a $1K bill?? "Cingular still cannot predict the exact amount of your monthly billing." No, they know full well what's going on, I bet! Bait and switch is basically what people are describing! I can't believe no one has reported them for fraud! Another reason I haven't signed up for data service, they don't seem trustworthy with the billing.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Damn, I love Sprint more and more every day. I would probably say go back to Verizon. I would switch to Verizon from Sprint if their data plan pricing was somewhat reasonable. I don't understand why they have such a chip on their shoulder when it comes to data pricing. I love getting into arguements with Verizon salesmen...I tell then I pay $10 for unl. data and they squirm all over trying to justify their astronomical pricing.

I thinl VZW would be the better bet if you are willing to cough up the charge for data.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I like VZW the best but I *need* GSM.
    I think some of the Cingular customers with outrageous overage charges were signed up for the $19.99 MediaNet plan which USED to be unlimited. It was grandfathered in for some customers which led to the confusion.

The $19.99 MediaNet plan now has a 3MB limit. The unlimited is $24.99. Though it took 2 months, it's finally consistently right on my bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Why isn't Unlimited really unlimited, is what I'd like to know! How can unlimited get a $1K bill??
    Wow! Do you have the Unlimited Media Plan ($39 or so a month) as well as an unlimited calling plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    I think some of the Cingular customers with outrageous overage charges were signed up for the $19.99 MediaNet plan which USED to be unlimited. It was grandfathered in for some customers which led to the confusion.

The $19.99 MediaNet plan now has a 3MB limit. The unlimited is $24.99. Though it took 2 months, it's finally consistently right on my bill.
    I saw several say they were actually switched from the $24.99 unlimited to a lower plan, BUT THEY DIDN'T DO IT. They had to call a rep to get it back on, some MORE THAN ONCE. Someone on the unlimited PDA plan said they got switched to pay per use, so in effect the plan they signed up for was removed, BUT THEY DIDN'T DO IT. Bait and switch and/or just plain fraud IMO! Until I quit seeing complaints like this, no data plan for me! It just doesn't sound right, this happening so many times.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill ATL
    Wow! Do you have the Unlimited Media Plan ($39 or so a month) as well as an unlimited calling plan?
    No, no data plan at all. I was just referring to those posts that pop up EVERY WEEK about how someone got screwed with the data billing, even though they're supposed to have unlimited. Cingular needs to explain what "unlimited" REALLY means!

10.    #10  
    Not part of the question, but the explaination to me was that for $40/month I have unlimited data regardless of type or source: data to Treo, data through to my notebook, and media stuff. But, no first bill yet, so can't comment on the veracity of it all.

Does anyone actually have a VZ 650 that came from them, not something hacked to make it work? Experience so far?
    Old Mike,
    I'm with Cingular and have the 600 minutes, unlimited data and 50 text messages which should come out to $92.97 + tax. I just got my first statement from them for a full months use, the total is $144.13. There is a $26 Usage Charges (whatever the heck that is), then $21.31 for Government Fees & Taxes and for some reason I have a Credit/Adjustment of $4.35. I figured my bill would be around $110 a month, so it's not too bad of a shock.

If I were you, I would call the Cingular Rep. and verify that with the Unlimited Data Plan, you will not get outrageous charges for using your phone as a modem for your laptop. My rep told me a story of a client who only signed up for the 20MB per month Data Plan and used their Treo as a modem for their laptop, they ended up with a $5,000 + monthly phone bill (the five grand seems extreme but that's what the rep told me).

The nice thing about Cingular is you can log into your account and verify the plan you are on and features you are signed up for (data plan, text messages, ect.). You can also add or change your plan or features at the web site as well. Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Why isn't Unlimited really unlimited, is what I'd like to know! How can unlimited get a $1K bill?? "Cingular still cannot predict the exact amount of your monthly billing." No, they know full well what's going on, I bet! Bait and switch is basically what people are describing! I can't believe no one has reported them for fraud! Another reason I haven't signed up for data service, they don't seem trustworthy with the billing.
    Unlimited is unlimited. THese are just unfortunate billing errors due to the the packages being so complicated that the Cingular employees can't seem to activate them properly.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I switched from Verizon to Cingular in March because I wanted the 650 and GSM service for international travel. I had one initial billing problem when they charged me to port over my Verizon number after trying out the Cingular service for two weeks to make sure I had coverage where I needed it. When I called about the charge they immediately removed it without me asking when I explained why I didn't port immediately.

I got the MediaNet Unlimited plan for $24.99 and my bill has been right so far. I even got them to provide me with the subsidy unlock code after only being a Cingular customer for a month.

I have been absolutely shocked at how well things have gone and at how good my experience has been with Cingular.

If you don't care about the GSM service and you're willing to pay more for a full data plan you might as well stick with Verizon since you know what their coverage is like in your area. Verizon costs more but you seem willing to pay extra for the piece of mind.
    I have had no problems, I have two phones on Cingular with Media Works. 19.95 unlimited 200 mms and 1500 sms. Great coverage and killer EDGE, no complaints.
    You might want to check the bluetooth functionality of the Verizon Treo. When they rolled out the Motorola V710 they called it fully bluetooth compatible. In reality about all you could use the bluetooth for was a wireless headset. Verizon dis this on purpose, ostensibly for network security reasons. It was a big bruhaha.
    All good points above (superiority of customer support and coverage of Verizon, international roaming for GSM, value of Sprint), but two other issues not routinely discussed:
    1. (-) GSM phones produce a lot of interference. I can't keep my Treo anywhere near my office landline, and that's a problem.
    2. (+) GSM, for the most parts, lets calls through much more reliably than CDMA while using data. So, there will probably be fewer missed called, especially if you're using Chatter Email to keep a data connection open constantly.
    I think GSM sounds significantly better than CDMA, the call quality that is. I have plenty of friends on Verizon and even with a strong signal their call quality breaks up, and that's sitting still, not even driving. This is no matter where they are, home, work, friends house, starbucks, etc, I frequently have to make them repeat things. By way of comparison I can drive from work to home and never experience any kind of call break up, never repeat myself, it sounds as clear as a landline (on GSM that is.) Same with my relatives that are still on TDMA, the quality sucks comapared to GSM (but we all knew TDMA quality is for the birds, that's what the early adopters get.)
    This, folks, is the main reason I'm on GSM. I know a lot of it may depend on the phone used, but these are my consistent experiences between the two.
    I don't know what makes it better, but I think GSM sounds much better.

As for errors in setting up packages and accounts and billing, I've had multiple screw ups with every single wireless carrier I've used (except TMobile ironically, I think I just got lucky) so Cingular is no exception. As with all things when shopping it helps to know what you need before you ask for it, but that doesn't help if they push the wrong buttons.

Between verizon and Cingular there are just as many reasons to go with one vs. the other. My priorities put me on Cingular.
    Last edited by taylorh; 05/12/2005 at 01:19 AM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Unlimited is unlimited. THese are just unfortunate billing errors due to the the packages being so complicated that the Cingular employees can't seem to activate them properly.
    I have seen at least 10-15 posts here about outrageous overbilling, if not a bit more. How incompetent can Cingular employees really be? Or is the problem CINGULAR itself authorizing or encouraging(by making the plans confusing) bait and switch? I get suspicious when I see this many billing errors in a board community that for the most part MANY don't visit. How many out in the rest of the country that don't come here? Makes me wonder.

Unlimited is unlimited, but only Sprint & verizon understands that I guess , but Verizon want you to pay more than sprint for better understanding :-)
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
    I agree Cingular has it's billing problems, but Verizon was down right dirty rotten to me. Was told if I did not like it to leave. Well I did, and went to Cingular. Of course I cannot speak for everyone, but my experience has been poor with Verizon and great with Cingular. Please keep in mind that you are paying for your service in advance with Cingular, so your first bill is going to include the partial first month that you used and the following full month. Hope this has been helpfull to someone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast