1.    #1  
    I and an officemate with T650's on Sprint both want to use Business Connection Personal Edition to access our Exchange email, and both of us use notebooks as our primary computers. So, we will need to install the BC redirector software on an old PC somewhere on our network. My question is, can a single PC run the redirector for two BC users? If so, do we need to somehow install two "instances" of the software on that box? Or, will we need two boxes, one for each of us?

TIA for any advice on this.
    Last edited by John P. Smith; 05/11/2005 at 02:55 PM.
    You can use "Connection Sharing" to allow both to access their email over the web from a single BC program, but you cannot have both people using their Treo 650s with a single redirector.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. Can two instances of the redirector run simultaneously on one PC, or will we need two PC's?
    2 PC's. We have tried that.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    2 PC's. We have tried that.
    Or, if you want to get fancy with it and keep from running multiple PCs, you can run one PC with Microsoft Virtual PC and run multiple instances of Windows simultaneously. I use Virtual PC for running a web server and for training for MCSE certification. I can have any version of Windows and practically any other O/S running and each one is seen as a separate computer on the network.
    Can BC be run on Terminal server?
    Could I have a copy of it running on my log in through TS?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xpgeek
    Or, if you want to get fancy with it and keep from running multiple PCs, you can run one PC with Microsoft Virtual PC and run multiple instances of Windows simultaneously. I use Virtual PC for running a web server and for training for MCSE certification. I can have any version of Windows and practically any other O/S running and each one is seen as a separate computer on the network.

Interesting, I have never ran Virtual PC on a Windows machine, only Mac. So, you install multiple copies using different directory locations for each install?
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    Interesting, I have never ran Virtual PC on a Windows machine, only Mac. So, you install multiple copies using different directory locations for each install?
    Correct. The operating systems are installed into a single file that can be moved to any machine you would like to should the need arise. It also uses generic drivers for video, NIC and sound so moving the operating system images from one machine to the next is a snap. I think Virtual PC is available now for around $150, but I'm not quite certain. It's great for my MCSE lab training and I've ran a web server and email server without any problems. All O/S use the same NIC but are looked at as separate machines on the network.

I'm telling you, its worth doing it this way instead of spending money on multiple machines and wasting space to house them. Make sure you purchase enough memory though in the computer you use to host all the operating systems running at one time.

What operating system are you wanting to use and how many redirect clients will you be running? I can give you a good idea of the amount of memory you will need to run all of them efficiently. I can also give you any help you need should you encounter problems with getting Virtual PC up and running but it's very easy to setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by xpgeek
    Correct. The operating systems are installed into a single file that can be moved to any machine you would like to should the need arise. It also uses generic drivers for video, NIC and sound so moving the operating system images from one machine to the next is a snap. I think Virtual PC is available now for around $150, but I'm not quite certain. It's great for my MCSE lab training and I've ran a web server and email server without any problems. All O/S use the same NIC but are looked at as separate machines on the network.

I'm telling you, its worth doing it this way instead of spending money on multiple machines and wasting space to house them. Make sure you purchase enough memory though in the computer you use to host all the operating systems running at one time.

What operating system are you wanting to use and how many redirect clients will you be running? I can give you a good idea of the amount of memory you will need to run all of them efficiently. I can also give you any help you need should you encounter problems with getting Virtual PC up and running but it's very easy to setup.

There are only a handful(4-5) of us that might want to utilize one machine for our redirect. Some of us are migrating to laptop/docking stations.

Is the setup on a Windows machine about the same as setting it up on a Mac? I have installed it numerous times on a Mac, but never thought about any scenarios for adding an additional OS to an existing machine. I might want to do this with my FileMaker Server setup that I use for surveys, management databases, etc. Currently I run 4 boxes. 1 Filemaker Server, 1 Web Server with Filemaker Web Connector and FileMaker Unlimited on a different port, 2 FileMaker Unlimited boxes. Installing those on one box would be great.

Thanks,