1.    #1  
    Okay, I checked my account online to see if Cingular actually replaced my rate plan from PDAconnect unlimited to MediaNet unlimited. They didnt, so I had to call them again. This time i talked to another person who said I couldn't have MediaNet unlimited alone. So, anybody else have unlimited data service without voice plan? If so, how much are you paying? I've had this for only 2 weeks now and I want to switch from tmobile. Tmobile offers 29.99 unlimited data (without voice) so cingular cant compete with that. What's the deal? I guess I'll take this back to the store but maybe buy it and get it unlocked to use in Tmobile. Anybody know how to do that? Thanks.

Ben
    What's the diff. between MeduiaNet & PDAconnect? My guess is just 2 diff. pay structure to suck more $ from the PDA users. Am I wrong?

- Blades
    Mother do you think they'll drop the bomb?
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    I think they're right... you can't have a MediaNet without a voice plan. MediaNet is supposed to be for WAP browsing on regular cell phones, so it doesn't make sense for them to offer it without the voice plan. PDANet, on the other hand, can be used with a voice plan on the Treo, or with a GPRS card in a stand alone PDA... obviously in the latter case you wouldn't want a voice plan to go with it, so they do offer PDANet alone.

You can call Cingular and (sometimes with a bit of trouble) get them to unlock your phone so you can use it with other carriers (like T-Mobile) but remember that even if you do that you'll still be locked into whatever contract you signed with Cingular. If you pay the higher no contract price for the phone, then you'll be good to go.

HTH,
    Brett
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades
    What's the diff. between MeduiaNet & PDAconnect? My guess is just 2 diff. pay structure to suck more $ from the PDA users. Am I wrong?

- Blades
    Basically, yes, but the theory is that PDA users will be using much more data than someone with a regular cell phone browsing WAP sites, so the PDA users should be charged more. I can understand their point, but I think their prices are way too high... especially as compared to Sprint and TMobile.

Brett
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettS
    You can call Cingular and (sometimes with a bit of trouble) get them to unlock your phone so you can use it with other carriers (like T-Mobile) but remember that even if you do that you'll still be locked into whatever contract you signed with Cingular. If you pay the higher no contract price for the phone, then you'll be good to go.

HTH,
    Brett
    I don't mind paying higher no contract price for the phone, as long as I can get it to work on tmobile's network. I need to talk to somebody who has actually got their treo unlocked from cingular and is currently using on tmobile.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades

- Blades
    Blades,

The PDAConnect plan includes unlimited access to the IPS.CINGULAR APN -- which allows full use of the internet (VPN's, etc will work). You will likeley only care about this if you use your 650 as a modem for a laptop or with VPN software on your 650.

If you just want to surf the web on your phone or your laptop, the cheaper plan should be fine.

Also, the PDA plan includes unlimited text messages, I don't beleive the cheaper plan does, but I could be wrong...

Glenn