Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After upgrading to 1.23 and having problems with stability and random slowness and then downgrading to 1.15 and still having problems, I am going to do a hard reset, upgrade to 1.23 again and then reinstall all my apps 1-by-1. Since other users have reported "trouble free" operation with 1.23 I think my plan would have good results. Let me know if you think otherwise!

My only gripe is that I have spent a lot of time getting Zlauncher and TakePhone set up just the way that I like them. Both apps have their own DB files which I hope hold the custom settings. After I reinstall these apps can I overwrite the DB files with the old ones and restore my customization? Could this be "risky" and reintroduce the problems that I had previously?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Sweider,

I am using v1.23 now after about 24hrs my phone slows to a crawl. I'm sure it is one nasty app with a big memory leak. What programs are you running besides the two you mentioned? Maybe we can narrow this down and put an end to the memory problems.
    FW 1.23 works fine for me. I have a Cingular branded 650 and here's what I did. Using Missing Sync on a mac, I mounted a freshly formatted SD card and copied over the PALM folder, ran the update, and reinstalled everything new. I did this last night.

I haven't had one crash since...except with Versamail. I hate that piece of garbage anyway, so I'll stick with Snapper...

I never trust backup management...it's a nice way to quickly get back on track, but it doesn't trash prefs and whatnot...and those can cause problems aside from tweaky apps with memory leaks and bad code.
  4.    #4  
    Attached is a list of programs that I have installed on my treo. Any suggestion on misbehaving program let me know ASAP.

thanks
    SW
    Attached Files Attached Files
    From your list, it appears that the programs we share in common are FilesZ and Verichat. I just updated to the most recent beta of Verichat and maybe that will fix the problem. I will know in 24 hours.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Axiomjunglist,

Thats sounds great and just what i want to do and I have missing sync, do you mind explaining in a little more detail what you did?

thanks for your help
    Quote Originally Posted by omoanya
    Axiomjunglist,

Thats sounds great and just what i want to do and I have missing sync, do you mind explaining in a little more detail what you did?

thanks for your help
    Download the 1.23 firmware from here:
    http://home.austin.rr.com/violet/Treo650-fw123.zip

Extract the files (they extract into a PALM folder), then copy this folder over to a CLEAN and EMPTY SD card. To make sure it's done right, format the card on your palm (using the Card Info app), and then using the Missing Sync palm app, mount the freshly formatted drive on your mac, throw away everything on the card, and copy the PALM folder over. Unmount the card from the desktop, pull the card out of the Treo, and then plug the card back in. It will ask you to plug in the charger.

Once you do that, you select the Updater on the screen that pops up, it starts installing, gets to 100%, then runs the scripts.

Finally, it resets (i counted 4 resets) choose the language, another reset, press Z as usual, calibrate the stylus, set the time and your done. Make sure you also pull the SD card out so it doesn't go through the set up process again after you're all done.
  8.    #8  
    Craig -

I just upgraded Verichat to 2.84b. I have Vericaht logoff after I exit.
    I am using FileZ 6.6
    Quote Originally Posted by axiomjunglist
    Download the 1.23 firmware from here:
    http://home.austin.rr.com/violet/Treo650-fw123.zip

Extract the files (they extract into a PALM folder), then copy this folder over to a CLEAN and EMPTY SD card. To make sure it's done right, format the card on your palm (using the Card Info app), and then using the Missing Sync palm app, mount the freshly formatted drive on your mac, throw away everything on the card, and copy the PALM folder over. Unmount the card from the desktop, pull the card out of the Treo, and then plug the card back in. It will ask you to plug in the charger.

Once you do that, you select the Updater on the screen that pops up, it starts installing, gets to 100%, then runs the scripts.

Finally, it resets (i counted 4 resets) choose the language, another reset, press Z as usual, calibrate the stylus, set the time and your done. Make sure you also pull the SD card out so it doesn't go through the set up process again after you're all done.
    I followed the steps outlined in #7, but got an error message. When I inserted the SD, screen pops up stating "Please select the Device Customizer scenario you wish to run," and listing "Treo 650 Release" as the only option to select. Immediately after that screen appears, however, I get an error screen stating "General Error: 0x50070201." Does anyone have any idea what this means and how I can fix it? Thanks.
    It appears that Verichat was the nasty little memory leaker. It has been over 24 hours since I upgraded to the newer version of verichat and I have had no slow down or lockup
    Quote Originally Posted by mrothstein
    I followed the steps outlined in #7, but got an error message. When I inserted the SD, screen pops up stating "Please select the Device Customizer scenario you wish to run," and listing "Treo 650 Release" as the only option to select. Immediately after that screen appears, however, I get an error screen stating "General Error: 0x50070201." Does anyone have any idea what this means and how I can fix it? Thanks.
    Try a soft reset on your palm. I had no problems, however, I don't run a launcher or anything special. Those could cause errors too...
  12.    #12  
    Good news about Verichat. Let's hope that really was the problem. I am now running 2.84b

I took the plunge tonight and upgraded my Cingular (unlocked) from 1.15 to 1.23 again. Instead of doing a backup/restore I manually installed all my apps and databases. The biggest pain was setting up Zlauncher and re-registerred all my apps.

I have 11M free with no custom ROM or programs running from SD.

I sure hope things are stable. I will post any news good or bad to this thread. If this setup works for a week then I may look to create a custom ROM.
  13.    #13  
    I must be going crazy. After thinking that all was good, my phone button has stopped working. I was convinced that I had a hardware failure until I did a hard reset and the phone button statted working again.

I am using TakePhone and have tried the button fix program along with restting the button the defaults via the Treo prefs. Any suggestions on what to try next?

Update: I did another hard reset and restored via Hotsync and the /backup folder and now the phone button works again! A recovery from the SD card did not work. What's the difference between recoverying from the Backup folder via hotsync and recovering from an SD card with BBVFS? I would like to understand what caused this wackiness.

Gonna quit for tonight - My treo and I need a rest.
    Score so far with 1.23 - losing by a run
    Last edited by swieder; 05/13/2005 at 11:19 PM.
    Verichat was definitely the problem app for me. It has now been over 3 days since upgrading to the latest version with no resets and I never turn my phone off. I have to say that v1.23 is quite stable. I am pleased
  15.    #15  
    I have been running FW1.23 for 36 hours with ZERO problems such as slowdowns or instability.

I reinstalled my apps from scratch and also upgrade Verichat to the latest release.

All seems good in Treo-space.
    Hi everyone,

I am so new to Palm device (in fact this is my first post) but as a geek, I could not resist installing the new firmware update.

It seems that the firmware update process went without hitch but when I went to Phone info, IMEI number, Formware, and SA number entries are empty. I think IMEI is empty because I have unlocked GSM phone but is it normal to have other entries to be empty? I have used Treo650-fw123.zip for my update.

When I check the Quick Installer, the available memory has indeed increased after update.

Kind answers/advices from you Palm wizards are most appreciated.

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by atuchan
    It seems that the firmware update process went without hitch but when I went to Phone info, IMEI number, Formware, and SA number entries are empty. I think IMEI is empty because I have unlocked GSM phone but is it normal to have other entries to be empty?
    Even an unlocked phone will show its IMEI, but some of those fields are blank if the phone radio is turned of. Perhaps that's your problem?
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    Even an unlocked phone will show its IMEI, but some of those fields are blank if the phone radio is turned of. Perhaps that's your problem?
    Dear Jetkins,

First of all, thank you so much for pointing me out to the feature. Yes, you are absolutely right! The phone radio was off as you have asserted and when I turned it on, it showed the firmware version (1.23).

This really showed me how little I know about the device (and also Palm OS) and how much information I need to pick up.

Thank you! I really appreciate the help from Palm Wiz like you!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrothstein
    Hi mrothstein,

that happens in some cases, when there are conflicts with other installed apps on your device. Just reset your Treo650 to its factory defaults ( push hard-reset, wait for the P1 logo and hold the red phone button etc. ).
    Insert your SD card with the upgrade files and the error should be gone and the installation should proceed without issues.

Enjoy
    Ibo
    I did the Upgrade to FW 1.23 last friday, I all went smooth. Did not use any backup prior to the upgrade, Just hotsynced it with my desktop (Via Bluetooth) and everything returned to the setup I had prior to the upgrade. My only additional software that I am running is Snapper mail, 5250 emulation from Mochasoft, mobile TS, Palm VNC & Documents to go. I also use numerous Custom written applications Via My companys website. I'm an IT manager and I bought the 650 (actually 12 of them for all of our managers) so the only Game installed on them is Solitare. All of the Phones including the one i just upgraded work fine. The upgrade did Appear to improve the Phone Volume & Quality a Little But most of us use either the wired or Bluetooth headsets which allows You to use the other software on the Treo while on the phone. I will be Upgrading the rest of our units shortly..

Barney
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast