Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After all the mayhem of everyone talking about bluetooth on the 650. what is the outcome of palmone updating to 1.2. can it be done, are they going to do it, and if they can and are WHEN? Are we ever going to be able to listen to music or use voice dial? Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    The consensus is that these features will be part of the next Treo! Knowing myself, I'll jump at the chance to beta test the next one just like I did with the 650!
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    I've read several times that the Treo 650 HARDWARE can support BlueTooth 1.2, but it doesn't support it currently. I suspect what this really means if the BT hardware itself can be flashed to support 1.2. Perhaps just software updates in the Palm firmware, but I suspect the BT hardware would need an update itself.

So the question is, will Palm take the time to do it, or have they decided to wait for BlueTooth 1.2 on the next device.
    My understanding is that PalmOne did not license BT 1.2 rights for OS5. As a result, PalmOne cannot legally upgrade the 650 to BT 1.2. However, they do have a BT 1.2 license for the next OS (Cobalt). So, it will likely only be made available in the next Treo.
    They need to dangle some carrot before us to make us upgrade to the next Treo ...

Cynically yours,
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Here is the simple answer:

No, no, and never.

The 650 (or any device) cannot be flashed to BT 1.2. BT 1.2 is a chipset implementation, so unless they are going to send you a chip and a solder kit, it ain't happening.

An analogy would be a Pentium 1 processor to Pentium 4 - you cannot "flash" a Pentium and and make it a P4. You must replace the chip.

Licensing has zero to do with it. They could put any version they want; the chose 1.1. OS 6 (Cobalt), the famous mistware, uses 1.1 currently.

So basically, you are out of luck until the next (or next next) Treo.

I would venture that the next Treo is still 1.1, and the one after (in Fall of 2006) is BT 2.0. They will just skip 1.2.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Here is the simple answer:

No, no, and never.

The 650 (or any device) cannot be flashed to BT 1.2. BT 1.2 is a chipset implementation, so unless they are going to send you a chip and a solder kit, it ain't happening.

An analogy would be a Pentium 1 processor to Pentium 4 - you cannot "flash" a Pentium and and make it a P4. You must replace the chip.

Licensing has zero to do with it. They could put any version they want; the chose 1.1. OS 6 (Cobalt), the famous mistware, uses 1.1 currently.

So basically, you are out of luck until the next (or next next) Treo.

I would venture that the next Treo is still 1.1, and the one after (in Fall of 2006) is BT 2.0. They will just skip 1.2.
    Uhhhh...I think you missed the part where it was mentioned that the hardware is capable. Let me be more specific.....the Broadcom 2035 chipset in the Treo 650 is BT 1.2 capable. The only thing holding us back is that Palm will not release an update to support it since they did not license BT 1.2 for Garnet.

So while the simple answer is "No, no, and never," your explanation is completely incorrect.

Edit: Oh, and you are also wrong about Cobalt and BT 1.1. See here: http://www.palmsource.com/palmos/cobalt.html
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    The consensus is that these features will be part of the next Treo! Knowing myself, I'll jump at the chance to beta test the next one just like I did with the 650!
    Oh BS...

I've got some swamp land in FL with all of your names on it...

C'mon guys...
    1. They haven't even bothered to address or support the bulk of the great BT headsets that are out there now...
    2. They're selling voicedialing for $30 as though it actually works with BT... the unsuspecting buyer that doesn't read the fine print only finds out later that it DOESN'T AT ALL!
    3. This NEW AND IMPROVED MEMORY system they have in this thing is what is causing ALL.... that's right ALL of the anomolies you hear about.
    4. And finally, they stuck with 32megs of it.

When are you going to finally stop sucking up all this crap they're shovelling to you and actually make some phone calls to P1 to say ENOUGH!

Here's a napkin... you've got a little drool right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by LMBvideography
    After all the mayhem of everyone talking about bluetooth on the 650. what is the outcome of palmone updating to 1.2. can it be done, are they going to do it, and if they can and are WHEN? Are we ever going to be able to listen to music or use voice dial? Thanks in advance.
    First things first...

I'd settle for BT working with most headsets and voicedialing...

.. let's just worry about 1.2 later on eh?
    If I'm not mistaken you NEED BT 1.2 for BT headset voicedialing. If you meant plain voicedialing I don't think Palm will ever "give" it to us as a free application and agree that it's a crock that they won't
    Are you sure you need 1.2 for BT voicedialing? BT voicedialing worked on my sonyericsson t39m and I could swear that phone didn't support 1.2. I can't seem to find any details on it now though.
    Yup....worked on my SE T608 as well. BT 1.2 is not necessary for BT headset voice dialing.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    I like the earlier answer of no, no and never.

Let's remember, P1 is a hardware company, not a software company. Any ROM updates it produces are only a function of what they HAVE to do to support their hardware. P1 execs are probably thinking "Why would we enable BT 1.2 on THIS phone, when we can use it as a reason to buy THAT phone?" The bottom line for P1 is, they need to sell phones. Upgrading the capabilities of existing products doesn't support that objective.

Many consumer oriented companies (like P1 and Sprint) will do what they have to in order to sell product with the least path of resistance (BT DUN update, BT 1.2, Blackberry Connect). Once that objective (selling phones) is accomplished, there is no need for the originally stated initiatives until it's time to sell again.
    KitMoni
    Quote Originally Posted by docmaster
    Senseles trolling...
    Hey, drink a nice cup of st*u sometime, nobody cares. If you're upset about your Treo, leave.
    According to the info I have read, the reason BT voicedialing doesn't work right is because the PalmOne messed up the API not b/c bt 1.1 isn't supposed to support it:

http://www.voiceit-tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=439
    Quote Originally Posted by kitmoni
    Let's remember, P1 is a hardware company, not a software company.
    This is an important point that people seem to forget. Give up waiting, it will NOT happen.

Another important point that I would like to make is that Palm is not an innovating company. They follow the industry, they don't lead it. This is obvious in their corporate culture and is even continually stated in leaked presentation slides.

On a related note, this explains why Palm has yet to even sign up and register to start any sort of Bluetooth 2.0 development according to the www.bluetooth.org (SIG) website. Don't count on seeing any improved Bluetooth functionality coming from Palm for another year or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    Uhhhh...I think you missed the part where it was mentioned that the hardware is capable. Let me be more specific.....the Broadcom 2035 chipset in the Treo 650 is BT 1.2 capable. The only thing holding us back is that Palm will not release an update to support it since they did not license BT 1.2 for Garnet.

So while the simple answer is "No, no, and never," your explanation is completely incorrect.

Edit: Oh, and you are also wrong about Cobalt and BT 1.1. See here: http://www.palmsource.com/palmos/cobalt.html

Gecko,

I was not wrong, just not clear...Cobalt 6.0 was BT 1.1; Cobalt 6.1 now has BT 1.2, but again this is still all mistware until devices come out.

Being "BT capable" and having it are two different things. You will not see a BT 1.2 Treo 650 upgrade; I will bet a Treo 700 on it.

It is not a license issue; I do not know where you get you info; but the BT licensing does not work that way (unless Palm is special).
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Gecko,

I was not wrong, just not clear...Cobalt 6.0 was BT 1.1; Cobalt 6.1 now has BT 1.2, but again this is still all mistware until devices come out.

Being "BT capable" and having it are two different things. You will not see a BT 1.2 Treo 650 upgrade; I will bet a Treo 700 on it.

It is not a license issue; I do not know where you get you info; but the BT licensing does not work that way (unless Palm is special).
    You said "Cobalt", you did not specify a version. Still wrong. Agreed that it is mistware for now.

Agreed on "capable vs having it."

Care to elaborate on the licensing details of BT? Apparently you are very familiar w/ how the licensing is sold. From what I've read though, what Palm actually did was license Extended Systems' XTNDAccess Blue SDK version 2.0 specifically for Cobalt (so apparently their licensing is product specific.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek

Just wondering, but what is to stop PalmOne from licensing BT 1.2 for Garnett, now. Although I am quite sure PalmOne will not do so because they have to offer something new in the next Treo.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    I'd say money.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast