Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 166
  1. #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    If you do a "move to card" from ZL, ZL will put the files on the sd card in the \Palm\PROGRAMS\ZLauncher\Apps\DBCacheTool folder. When you launch the shortcut, all the files in that folder get copied to ram and executed from there.
    Oh, i know how that works. What I couldn't (and haven't) figured out is how to get ZLauncher to see the DA. ZLauncher proclaims DA support, but I haven't found a shred of information that says where it expects to find DA's or how to "install" them in ZL.
  2. #122  
    from zlauncher, go to menu-> options -> ZL preferences -> Top/Bot Bar.
    Then at the top or bottom bar, press on any area(within the top or bottom bar) for a few seconds and let go. This will bring up a popup window listing apps.., da, plugin, function buttons and info buttons. Pick DA and if you installed the dbcachtoolda.prc it will show up as DBCacheDA. THen it will be visible in zlauncher from your top or bottom bar, depending on where you added it.
    I hope this helps you. If not I guess I can provide screen shots.

    update: here is a screen shot of the screen to add the da:


    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...p-BF20F346.jpg
    Last edited by LewisL77; 08/11/2005 at 11:28 AM.
  3. #123  
    Is anyone on this thread using a custom rom and have you noticed any difference in the amount of available dbCache as a result?

    On my Sprint/CDMA phone, I'm down to 7576KB of free dbCache (from 11647KB) right after boot. Since the 4MB must be used by the OS but we don't know exactly what part uses how much, it got me wondering if a custom rom might have a positive impact.

    I've never had a driving need to do a custom rom, but if it helps better manage dbCache, it would be worth it to me.
  4. #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    Oh, i know how that works. What I couldn't (and haven't) figured out is how to get ZLauncher to see the DA. ZLauncher proclaims DA support, but I haven't found a shred of information that says where it expects to find DA's or how to "install" them in ZL.
    Ok, I guess I misunderstood your question. It looks like LewisL77 has provided what you were probably looking for.
  5. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    Is anyone on this thread using a custom rom and have you noticed any difference in the amount of available dbCache as a result?

    On my Sprint/CDMA phone, I'm down to 7576KB of free dbCache (from 11647KB) right after boot. Since the 4MB must be used by the OS but we don't know exactly what part uses how much, it got me wondering if a custom rom might have a positive impact.

    I've never had a driving need to do a custom rom, but if it helps better manage dbCache, it would be worth it to me.
    dbCache increase in size when more apps were removed from rom BUT decrease in size when you add any other apps into rom. My custom rom leave me with total 13887KB and largest chunk of 11074KB.
  6. #126  
    Thanks for the info - you've given me hope again.

    I'll have to do some figuring on how I might want to customize to see what benefit that'd provide. From your results, it looks like moving some of the apps (that are always running) out of dbCache into rom can make a big difference. I'd expect getting even just 2MB more dbCache would just about make my 650 as useful as my 600 was in terms of memory usage.
  7. #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    ... it looks like moving some of the apps (that are always running) out of dbCache into rom can make a big difference.
    Unfortunately moving any apps into rom will always depletes dbCache size. If you want maximum dbCache size, then do not add apps into rom rather remove as many unused apps from the original rom.
  8. #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisL77
    ... This will bring up a popup window listing apps.., da, plugin, function buttons and info buttons. Pick DA and if you installed the dbcachtoolda.prc it will show up as DBCacheDA. THen it will be visible in zlauncher ...
    Well, that's what I figured... except that even though I have the .prc installed, selecting "DA" from the pop-up menu results in a "None" list. That is, ZLauncher doesn't recognize the DA is present. Thus leading to my original question of "where does ZLauncher expect to find DA's" or "Is there something special I need to do in ZLauncher for a DA to be recognized?"
  9. #129  
    Definitely true for rom apps that are never used - they just waste space in dynamic ram.

    Otherwise, if it's an app that is always running in the background, it's always taking up memory anyway. Might as well have those take up some of the dynamic ram allocated for apps coming from physical rom (9.5MB). Since apps in that part of dynamic ram are not in dbCache, it should free dbCache up for other uses, correct?

    What customization did you do?
  10. #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    Well, that's what I figured... except that even though I have the .prc installed, selecting "DA" from the pop-up menu results in a "None" list. That is, ZLauncher doesn't recognize the DA is present. Thus leading to my original question of "where does ZLauncher expect to find DA's" or "Is there something special I need to do in ZLauncher for a DA to be recognized?"
    Mine is in the Treo's internal memory (not on the SD card) and ZL finds it just fine.

    HTH

    -X
    Xathros

    SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
  11. #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    Definitely true for rom apps that are never used - they just waste space in dynamic ram.

    Otherwise, if it's an app that is always running in the background, it's always taking up memory anyway. Might as well have those take up some of the dynamic ram allocated for apps coming from physical rom (9.5MB). Since apps in that part of dynamic ram are not in dbCache, it should free dbCache up for other uses, correct?

    What customization did you do?
    For more info on dbCache effects with custom rom, please visit:
    http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597

    I only remove original apps from rom. All languages except english, versamail, tutorial and Real Player.
  12. #132  
    Thanks. I was in the midst of going thru shadow's forum, so thanks also for the link to the right thread. Hadn't seen that one yet.
  13. #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xathros
    Mine is in the Treo's internal memory (not on the SD card) and ZL finds it just fine.
    ugh... the problem seems to be that I was trying to copy the .prc from SD back to RAM and it wasn't successfully occurring (despite lack of an error). I "installed" it by retrieving it via a web link and now it's being recognized. Sorry about the confusion.
  14. #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenChoi
    For more info on dbCache effects with custom rom, please visit:
    http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597

    I only remove original apps from rom. All languages except english, versamail, tutorial and Real Player.
    Thanks again for the info. I assume you deleted VersaMail and RealPlayer because you already had Snapper and pTunes, right? Either that or you just don't need those apps.

    After reading through the forums some more, it doesn't look like a custom rom is going to make a big difference for me. VersaMail and RealPlayer are good enough for my needs, so I don't need to remove them. The only things left to remove are the non-english language files, tutorial, and a couple of other files. A savings of ~150K just isn't worth doing a custom rom.

    Appreciate the help though, I learned something in the process.
  15. #135  
    I was getting a good deal more instability with dbcachetool installed. So I finally uninstalled it, and have instead been locking the background apps with Resco Locker, and that seems to have stabilized things much better on the Treo.
  16. #136  
    Does Palm OS do anything to manage the dbCache?

    When I monitor the NVFS Cache (RAM) with MemoryInfo, the free value starts at about 7775 KB and decreases as I launch the heavyhitters (VoiceDial, Java, datebk5, pTunes etc) until apps no longer launch and a soft reset gets required.

    If an application like dbCache can clear the cache, why doesn't the OS, especially if applications make demands on the cache? Isn't that how a _cache_ is supposed to function?

    Its better that applications load slowly than not run at all ...

    PS:

    Is http://www.jade.dti.ne.jp/~imazeki/palm/DBcT/ still the place to get the latest dbCache?

    Has anyone translated the readme file?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  17. #137  
    I don't know all the details of the PalmOS memory manager, but I suspect it's got to be doing some cache management. Apparently, not well as it should because I have had the same symptoms you have. I start with about 7775KB after boot but as soon as I fired up GoodLink, I'd be down to 1536KB largest free chunk and ~2000KB total free. Didn't take long after that before a soft reset was needed.

    Lately, I've been playing with dbCache again and seem to have it working fairly well. My largest free chunk doesn't get above ~1500KB, but I routinely get up to 4226KB or more total free. So far, I've gone 3 days without needing a soft reset, so that's 6X longer than before. Here are my settings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  18. #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    PS:

    Is http://www.jade.dti.ne.jp/~imazeki/palm/DBcT/ still the place to get the latest dbCache?

    Has anyone translated the readme file?
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $that$'$s$ $still$ $the$ $url$ $to$ $go$ $to$. $I$ $saw$ $a$ $rough$ $translation$ $either$ $here$ $or$ $mtdn$ $but$ $it$ $didn$'$t$ $give$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $insight$.
  19. #139  
    One last thing, I have noticed 2 or 3 times wierd behavior after dbCache did the purge (Causerie couldn't find a TCP/IP lib, GL crashed, soft reset, etc). Nothing serious and a soft reset fixed it. I can only guess that dbCache was being a little too aggressive in the purge.

    Hasn't happened today in the last 36 hours or so, so it's not frequent. Even if it happens again, it's still better than not having dbCache running at all.
  20. #140  
    Is there a way purge the cache manually (on demand) using dbCache?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Posting Permissions