Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    I have two problems that I am experiening with this app. First, I still soft reset after using BackupMan and when ChatterEmail picks up (I have Chatter set to go to summary when the unit sleeps. Then, when a app that is stored on SD using ZL is being returned to the SD after use, for some reason, Avantage RX thinks that its a good time to prepare for hotsync. ANybody got suggestions or more detailed instructions on the app?
    Sorry, I can't help with the BackupMan problem but I would guess that when DBCache flushes the cash, the timestamp on one of the Advantage RX dbs is getting modified. That would explain why it thinks it's a good time for a backup. I've seen similar things with other apps. I thinking turning off Auto clear will likely help. If it doesn't, I'd suggest adding just a few selected apps to the Apps.. button list (obviously not Advantage RX) and see if that works.

From limited experimentation, it seems that Blazer gradually uses cache (even when it's cache limit is set to 0), so the only app I have listed in the Apps... list is Web. If I notice any other apps that need cleanup, I'll be adding those one-by-one.
    interesting postulation. thanks
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Let me know if/when it works
    Does anyone know how SharkCache compares to dbcachetool?

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7883
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Quote Originally Posted by pda_jedi
    Does anyone know how SharkCache compares to dbcachetool?

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7883
    Based on the documentation and my limited understanding of the DBCache Tool/SharkCache it looks like SharkCache application is doing the opposite of DBCache. The issue with Treo's is that due to the small cache size and the fact that it is not purged as aggressively as it needs to be out of memory and general instability are created because applications are copied from NVFS to cache before execution. By aggressively purging the cache it seems to speed up the Treo device as well as increase stability by not exhausting available cache.

With that being said, I believe SharkCache does the opposite. To speed up application load times it prevents the dbCache from being purged/cleared for a certain application, preventing the load from the microdrive to dbcache, to execution (straight load from cache).

While I don't have the hard data to support it, I believe transfer times, random seek, and data throughput are greater on the solid-state NVFS filesystem we have versus using a microdrive like the LifeDrive uses.

I hope this makes sense, and if any parts are incorrect others please feel free to correct those.
    with the new treo 650 firmware, is dbcachetool still needed? I turned it off, but haven't uninstalled yet....guess I'll wait and see.
    any thoughts, insights?
    I stopped using it on my 1.08 since it kept messing up PXAClocker. I would check periodically and it would have turned off PXAClocker for some reason.
    I did a clean install and chose not to re-install it for now. Guess we'll see what happens.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I'm wondering the same thing... does it have benefits after the 1.12 update? I haven't tried it before, so I can't really say what the difference is... Anyone?
    It's still valuable in 1.12, 1.12 did not do anything to address the cache issues in my experience. DBCache Tool also appears to improve application switching speed, making it faster than when running DBCache Tool in 1.08.
    Does the phone have to be daily reset for this program to work or does it just clear the cache during regular useage?
  12.    #92  
    If one is still needed on new firmware, Which one is better SharkCache or dbcachetool?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilkeraktuna
    If one is still needed on new firmware, Which one is better SharkCache or dbcachetool?
    As others have said, they do completely opposite things. SharkCache tries to keep things in cache longer and more aggressively, thereby giving you additional performance (especially useful on things like the LifeDrive). DBCacheTool clears out your cache frequently, which while it may decrease performance for application launching, it will avoid resets due to low cache memory conditions (which I've found to be relatively frequent).

Depends on what you want - speed or stability. Personally, I'd like Palm to properly manage the cache and make both tools irrelevant. I don't see "cache managers" needed for any other computing system.
  14.    #94  
    you are right. I'd prefer not to use either of them but, if one's gonna need it. Then I'd personally prefer stability I guess. But I'm not sure DBCacheTool provides stability as needed. Maybe I should try SharkCache...
  15.    #95  
    Btw, both firmwares (SPRINT and GSM) can be downloaded as SD card updates from Mytreo.net

I'm not sure how mytreo.net achieved them though.
    Btw, both firmwares (SPRINT and GSM) can be downloaded as SD card updates from Mytreo.net

I'm not sure how mytreo.net achieved them though.
    They probably took them from shadowmite's site and posted them as their own creation. Much like they did with his BtManager.patched file with BtDUN enabled.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    you are right. I'd prefer not to use either of them but, if one's gonna need it. Then I'd personally prefer stability I guess. But I'm not sure DBCacheTool provides stability as needed. Maybe I should try SharkCache...
    I think you're failing to see the big picture here. Sharkcache is going to do nothing for you in the realm of stability. Sharkcache is designed for devices with a larger cache, allowing them to permanently cache applications to allow for perceived faster execution.

DBCache Tool is a completely different animal, effectively managing available cache (which is quite limited) on the Treo 650. When the available cache is depleted the device crashes. DBCache Tool prevents that.

So, as far as stability is concerned, SharkCache is a non-solution.
    At the risk of sounding dumb, when is this app supposed to clear the cache? I copied evilghost's settings, but when I check the size of the cache it is often below the 4MB limit. I am missing something in the settings?
    Zane
    Quote Originally Posted by zvandiver
    At the risk of sounding dumb, when is this app supposed to clear the cache? I copied evilghost's settings, but when I check the size of the cache it is often below the 4MB limit. I am missing something in the settings?
    Zane
    You may just have so many background applications open, and cache isn't freed until the application is terminated. May I also guess that you're a Goodlink user (Good uses an excessively high amount of Cache)?
    evilghost,
    I don't run anything in the background. I only use Versamail, and that infrequently. I also always disconnect from the network after using Blazer. I do use KBLightsOff, Butler, and Zlauncher.
    I was getting regular resets with BackupMan (when exiting back to Zlauncher), but nothing else unusual.
    Any other thoughts?
    Thanks, Zane