Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    It seems to speed up things that use to take long to do. For example waking up the Treo, dialing from contacts and even running progrmas from the memory card. However, it doesn't work fine with Chatter. I keep getting a message that Chatter is shutting down and then my Treo resets. (especially when you are running an application from the SD card) I think it is messing the qsync in the background feature. Anybody has a solution for this?

Thanks,

Al
    Last edited by TreoRock; 05/25/2005 at 01:16 AM.
    I installed this app (GSM fw 1.21) and i dont know what is going on. It seems to of speed up all my apps and other stuff but when i go back to check it my Free and Max allocated keep going down. is this the way its supposed to work. i am using evils settings since hes the only one whos posted. just wanted to make sure im doing it right.
    I've been using this tool since it was first posted and it has definitely cut the resets out completely. I had worked hard to get a stable setup before this tool and had succeeded but I still had the once or twice/day reset in "phone." No more resets!!!

Incidentally, I have found the my phone dials slightly faster......
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Since installing this app I have had a couple of resets, and my palm somehow lost my user name....so it is resyncing all the data....over bluetooth...ACK!

I am not ready to give up on this app yet, as it did seem to make the phone a bit more stable outside of these issues, and it may be due to my error.

I will post my updates as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    It seems to speed up things that use to take long to do. For example waking up the Treo, dialing from contacts and even running progrmas from the memory card. However, it doesn't work fine with Chatter. I keep getting a message that Chatter is shutting down and then my Treo resets. (especially when you are running an application from the SD card) I think it is messing the qsync in the background feature. Anybody has a solution for this?

Thanks,

Al
    I had this problem and resolved it by not specifying chatter (or any app for that matter) in the DBCacheTool app list. I just let it auto clean with the default settings on it's own and all has been fine since. I'm using the settings as indicated in evilghosts screenshot early on in this thread.

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    Here are the updated settings I'm using, I wonder if there is a way to perhaps configure an exclusion where dbCache won't touch Chatter?

Zero resets since installation of the tool, where-as before I would average about 1 to 2 a day relating to the Phone application itself. Every now and then other applications would crash.

I'm a very "aggressive" user, using Verichat, Ptunes, PdaReach simultaneously. I'm not a virgin Treo user who subscribes to the false rationale that all these "free applications" and "loaded up Treos" cause stability issues. People who scream that's the cause for instability are easily deceived and are simply regurgating some trash they've heard from another user.

I have the following applications installed:

Freeware/Community Tools/Treo Enhancement
    dbCache
    Filez
    AlwaysOn
    KB LightsOff
    Resco Explorer
    KeyCaps600
    PXA Clocker
    Keepoff
    LEDOff
    TreoHelper
    PdaReach
    ScrollJump
    Network Assistant (Circuit ID/Site db tool)
    PalmVNC
    pSSH
    RadioControl

Others
    Documents to Go
    DreamEngine (TG16 Emulator)
    NesEM (NES Emulator)
    Mobile TS
    MovianVPN (IPSEC)
    Snappermail
    upIRC
    Verichat
    VoiceDial
    pTunes

Rom
    Shadowmites #5 1.08, with custom modifications.

I've attached a screenshot of the current settings I am using. My Treo 650 has been rock-solid since installation of the dbCache tool. Simply put I am absolutely thrilled that I stumbled across this thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    eg-

Except for the soft reset check, thats what I've got as well. Amazing the difference this thing makes. I almost trashed it due to the chatter problem until I remembered that I added chatter as an app in DBCachetool's app list. Once I removed it from the list it's all been quite happy.

Some things I've noticed:

I can now power up the 650 with 1 short press of the red phone button (used to take 2 - 3 long presses)

Launching Phone App is way faster.

Dial lag is reduced.

Entire GUI seems more responsive. (even with chatter doing is background processing)

-X

PS: and off topic, I know... Docs2GO offered an update this morning in case you missed it.
    Xathros

Xathros,

I don't have Chatter in the list. In fact I have 0 applications on the apps list and I keep getting the Chatter is shutting down message. What version of Chatter do you have? I'm using b25 Are yo using IMAP?

Thanks,

Al
    Yep - Running the latest beta 25 and have 3 imap accounts and 2 pop accounts setup.

-X
    Xathros

Quote Originally Posted by Xathros
    I had this problem and resolved it by not specifying chatter (or any app for that matter) in the DBCacheTool app list. I just let it auto clean with the default settings on it's own and all has been fine since. I'm using the settings as indicated in evilghosts screenshot early on in this thread.

-X
    Xathros - perhaps you aren't using the ScheduleCare functionality in ProfileCare, but have you noticed that with auto clean turned on, ProfileCare reapplies the settings after every app finishes? I suspect it's because dbCache is flushing the cache which updates the mod time on the Calendar db which triggers ProfileCare to think a calendar entry has changed so it searches the db to find new settings. Not a problem per se, just kind of annoying to see it happening after every app. I don't think this is a ProfileCare bug, just an unintended side effect of dbCache auto clean.

I probably need to do more experimenting with auto clean on, but with GoodLink taking up 6.6M of the NVFS cache, I'm down to 1.6M shortly after a soft reset. Doesn't take too long for that to be gone even with dbCache cleaning up after Blazer sessions. I may just be SOL but need to look into UDMH as well to see if it helps NVFS cache and dynamic heap or just dynamic heap. I think it's just the latter (which isn't my primary problem - always seem to have ~3M free). Anyone else experiment with UDMH?

I love my 650, but even after the OS upgrade it's annoying to have a continuing stream of memory issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    Here are the updated settings I'm using, I wonder if there is a way to perhaps configure an exclusion where dbCache won't touch Chatter?

Zero resets since installation of the tool, where-as before I would average about 1 to 2 a day relating to the Phone application itself. Every now and then other applications would crash.

I'm a very "aggressive" user, using Verichat, Ptunes, PdaReach simultaneously. I'm not a virgin Treo user who subscribes to the false rationale that all these "free applications" and "loaded up Treos" cause stability issues. People who scream that's the cause for instability are easily deceived and are simply regurgating some trash they've heard from another user.

I have the following applications installed:

Freeware/Community Tools/Treo Enhancement
    dbCache
    Filez
    AlwaysOn
    KB LightsOff
    Resco Explorer
    KeyCaps600
    PXA Clocker
    Keepoff
    LEDOff
    TreoHelper
    PdaReach
    ScrollJump
    Network Assistant (Circuit ID/Site db tool)
    PalmVNC
    pSSH
    RadioControl

Others
    Documents to Go
    DreamEngine (TG16 Emulator)
    NesEM (NES Emulator)
    Mobile TS
    MovianVPN (IPSEC)
    Snappermail
    upIRC
    Verichat
    VoiceDial
    pTunes

Rom
    Shadowmites #5 1.08, with custom modifications.

I've attached a screenshot of the current settings I am using. My Treo 650 has been rock-solid since installation of the dbCache tool. Simply put I am absolutely thrilled that I stumbled across this thread.
    Great post Evil - thanks for the updates along the way, will be loading the program shortly!
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    Xathros - perhaps you aren't using the ScheduleCare functionality in ProfileCare, but have you noticed that with auto clean turned on, ProfileCare reapplies the settings after every app finishes? I suspect it's because dbCache is flushing the cache which updates the mod time on the Calendar db which triggers ProfileCare to think a calendar entry has changed so it searches the db to find new settings. Not a problem per se, just kind of annoying to see it happening after every app. I don't think this is a ProfileCare bug, just an unintended side effect of dbCache auto clean.
    Tom-

I rarely use the schedule care portion of PC. I have 1 category command set up for meetings to mute all but that only gets used once or twice per week. I haven't noticed any side effects from DBcT and PC at all. Only time I see the profiles get reapplied is after a hotsync or at a timed/manual profile change point. That said, SC is enabled and I would expect that I would see this even if I don't have active calendar commands.

Who knows...

-X

EDIT: After re-reading your post, I think I know why I don't see this behavior - I have the alert window in PC disabled...
    Xathros

I probably need to do more experimenting with auto clean on, but with GoodLink taking up 6.6M of the NVFS cache, I'm down to 1.6M shortly after a soft reset. Doesn't take too long for that to be gone even with dbCache cleaning up after Blazer sessions. I may just be SOL but need to look into UDMH as well to see if it helps NVFS cache and dynamic heap or just dynamic heap. I think it's just the latter (which isn't my primary problem - always seem to have ~3M free). Anyone else experiment with UDMH?

I love my 650, but even after the OS upgrade it's annoying to have a continuing stream of memory issues.
    That is exaclty what is happening then. PC/SC looks at the modification time on the calendar database. If dbCache clears these values then you will get exaclty this behavior from PC/SC.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by Xathros
    Tom-

I rarely use the schedule care portion of PC. I have 1 category command set up for meetings to mute all but that only gets used once or twice per week. I haven't noticed any side effects from DBcT and PC at all. Only time I see the profiles get reapplied is after a hotsync or at a timed/manual profile change point. That said, SC is enabled and I would expect that I would see this even if I don't have active calendar commands.

Who knows...

-X

EDIT: After re-reading your post, I think I know why I don't see this behavior - I have the alert window in PC disabled...
    All I have is the LED alert flash as the profile switches. Of course after I post "the world changes". I turned auto clean on a little while ago and was surprised to see the symptom disappear. I know I had it with PC 1.1 or 1.2 when I first saw this thread, but it no longer happens with PC 1.3.1. I think there has been some optimization in that area of PC, so perhaps that's why the behavior is different now. I'm leaving auto clean on for now.
    All I have is the LED alert flash as the profile switches. Of course after I post "the world changes". I turned auto clean on a little while ago and was surprised to see the symptom disappear. I know I had it with PC 1.1 or 1.2 when I first saw this thread, but it no longer happens with PC 1.3.1. I think there has been some optimization in that area of PC, so perhaps that's why the behavior is different now. I'm leaving auto clean on for now.
    If you do not have SC enabled then you should not see this behavior. But I would suspect that if you have SC enabled, this behavior might return.

Jeff
    Thanks for the post Jeff - you've saved me the effort of mentioning it to you.

Yup, SC is enabled. I can force PC to reapply profiles when I make changes to the Calendar db so it's working just as it's intended. I'll leave auto clean on for awhile and see if it comes back. If it's related to the Calendar db getting marked "dirty" in the cache, it's bound to happen again. The weird thing was that originally it seemed to be happening even when I *didn't* make changes to the Calendar db. Not a problem for me, just a curiosity.
    Xathros,

Do you have SplashBlog installed? If so move it to the SD card and run it and view a few pictures. Then exit and you will see the Chatter is Shutting down message.

Al
    FWIW (likely not much), I did some experimenting to get an idea of which apps used how much NVFS Cache. To set the baseline, I disabled all 3rd party apps which hook into the boot sequence (Butler, TreoGuard, etc). The table shows the result where the second column is how much was free after each app was added/enabled. Before I added/enabled the app, I did a soft reset.

Baseline 8956K Apparently the OS and built-in apps take ~3M
    TreoGuard 8952K
    Butler 8947K
    ProfileCare 8832K
    GoodLink 1303K Takes 6.5M after GL initialization and data connection
    Causerie 965K

I've run some of these a couple of times and the numbers seem pretty consistent. Most of them take up fairly little space with the notable exception of GoodLink. From this, it looks like I'm pretty much out of luck in terms of completely avoiding "out of (cache) memory" errors. Even if dbCache helps a little, it's not going to help the 6.5M tied up in GoodLink.

The Treo700 better come with 64+M of memory without these cache size problems - this is too frustrating to live through again. I love everything else about the 650, but I'm beginning to miss my 600.
    Thanks evilghost and others for the feedback. After the 1.08 update things were running smoother, but once again I'm getting frequent resets and general instability (and eying my Clie again). I'll give this a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmt
    Well, I guess it's good if it helps avoid problems, but one thing to remember is that the best cache is a full cache - not an empty one. I would suggest looking for root causes of the behavior, instead of using the bandaid. But if the bandaid works, I can't argue with it.

Can you explain why a full cache is better than an empty one? I understand this in theory, but based on what others are experiencing with DBCache, it seems as though the Treo functions better with a smaller cache.

Also, does anyone have a link explaining how this cache works and why I receive out of memory errors while using blazer?

Thanks.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast