Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I tried DBCacheTool on my unlocked GSM 650 on TMO and I got a spurious reset when I was trying to configure it. The second strange thing that I had never seen before was when I took a picture and tried to send it via MMS. What was sent was the wrong picture. This was repeatable every time I tried and a soft reset did not change it. So I did a hard reset and restored from a BackUpMan file that I had created before installing DBCacheTool and all was well again. I think I will leave DBCacheTool alone for now.

I know it is too much to hope for but it would really be helpful if in the next ROM UG PalmOne would provide a Prefs panel that would give us the same options as DBCacheTool. At least let us take care of the problems manually until they can write or fix the code that handles the cache correctly.

Frank
    That's wierd, seems GSM users are having more issues than the CDMA users. Let me ask this, you GSM/GPRS users, have you applied the NVFS patch that is similiar to the one applied with the SprintPCS 1.08 update? The original forum (see 1st topic post) alluded to NVFS patched versus vanilla I believe.

I guess, when posting experiences can you give firmware numbers/etc; I wonder if the app only plays nicely with the new NVFS version with the adjusted cluster size.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    That's wierd, seems GSM users are having more issues than the CDMA users. Let me ask this, you GSM/GPRS users, have you applied the NVFS patch that is similiar to the one applied with the SprintPCS 1.08 update? The original forum (see 1st topic post) alluded to NVFS patched versus vanilla I believe.

I guess, when posting experiences can you give firmware numbers/etc; I wonder if the app only plays nicely with the new NVFS version with the adjusted cluster size.
    No, I have GSM FW UG version 1.23 installed with about 14MB free and Tutorial, Versamail, RealPlayer, and World Clock removed and TimeCopy, FileZ, NetSelect, CleanUp, Uninstall, ResetMe, and SysInfo added. I have also had no resets in the last eight days except once when I loaded DA with under 3000KB left. DA seems to make a large demand on DBCache.

So maybe the tool does work best with the CDMA FW.

Frank
    My two reset today are CDMA. But, I do have a custom ROM that I made using Shadowmites instructions. I have been having more resets lately anyway. I think I am going to have to do a hard reset and reinstall all apps one at at time.
  5. tmt
    This tool doesn't free any memory. What it does is flush the dbcache, which is used on devices with NVFS, since apps cannot be executed in-place. Instead, they are copied to a cache and executed from there. In certain cases, very large programs can fail to launch, and this program attempts to fix that.

It appears to work by simulating a hotsync, which poisons the cache entries since the programs may have changed. The author mentions that if you're uncomfortable with his app, you can just perform a hotsync. The "DA" is a desk accessory, which is a plugin for a third-party launcher. It just makes it easier to start the program and seems to be optional.

I don't see the need for this program unless you're having issues launching programs. The 650 and T5 manage the cache internally, and flushing it does not yield any useful new resources. There's a knowledge base article on this at palmone somewhere if you're really interested.
    well it made dialing from contatcs, or speed dial for that metter, much faster on my CDMA 1.08. It's a keeper for me
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by tmt
    This tool doesn't free any memory. What it does is flush the dbcache, which is used on devices with NVFS, since apps cannot be executed in-place. Instead, they are copied to a cache and executed from there. In certain cases, very large programs can fail to launch, and this program attempts to fix that.
    I don't think it's just with 'very large programs' since the "out of memory" type errors can happen with any app that asks for heap memory which isn't available. Conceivably it could ask for a very small chunk which isn't contiguous. If that chunk isn't available - you get the error message.

It was definitely disappointing to go through the Sprint 1.08 rom upgrade, think my "low memory" problems are solved (with 5.2MB free) only to run into the low cache memory problems.

It appears to work by simulating a hotsync, which poisons the cache entries since the programs may have changed. The author mentions that if you're uncomfortable with his app, you can just perform a hotsync. The "DA" is a desk accessory, which is a plugin for a third-party launcher. It just makes it easier to start the program and seems to be optional.
    Thanks for the explanation.

I don't see the need for this program unless you're having issues launching programs. The 650 and T5 manage the cache internally, and flushing it does not yield any useful new resources. There's a knowledge base article on this at palmone somewhere if you're really interested.
    For me at least, I was running into this issue by 3:00p every day - and this was after I started doing a soft reset every morning to start with a fresh cache. I installed dbCache last night and so far, it seems to be making a difference as I have it clear the cache after every Blazer exit.

Using memoryInfo to monitor the free cache, it's been pretty steady at just under 3MB instead of eventually dropping to below 2. It's only been a few hours, so I plan to monitor over the next couple of days to see if it truly makes a difference.
  8. tmt
    Well, I guess it's good if it helps avoid problems, but one thing to remember is that the best cache is a full cache - not an empty one. I would suggest looking for root causes of the behavior, instead of using the bandaid. But if the bandaid works, I can't argue with it.
    Generally, I agree with you. In this case, it seems Doctor PalmOne is out golfing.
    Just as a status update it seems the dbCache tool has increased the stability of my Treo 650 by leaps and bounds. I've not had a crash since installation. While I did have a stable treo to begin with I would have frequent crashes using the actual Phone application whenever a secondary event would occur or just general crashes while switching from an application into the Phone.

dbCache appears to have cured these problems, I have had zero crashes thus far.

Additionally, the phone seems to respond faster while switching applications (IE, application load time has decreased).

I have not defined custom [Apps] settings and am using the Auto mode. With that being said, dbCache is a keeper.
    Just as a status update it seems the dbCache tool has increased the stability of my Treo 650 by leaps and bounds. I've not had a crash since installation. While I did have a stable treo to begin with I would have frequent crashes using the actual Phone application whenever a secondary event would occur or just general crashes while switching from an application into the Phone.

dbCache appears to have cured these problems, I have had zero crashes thus far.

Additionally, the phone seems to respond faster while switching applications (IE, application load time has decreased).

I have not defined custom [Apps] settings and am using the Auto mode. With that being said, dbCache is a keeper.
    Please advise, what other settings have you set? Free and max limits?
    Pilot Professional 1MB -> Palm III -> Palm 515 -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by crenshaw
    Please advise, what other settings have you set? Free and max limits?
    Check out Post #5, those are the settings I am using
    Check out Post #5, those are the settings I am using
    Doh! Missed that
    Pilot Professional 1MB -> Palm III -> Palm 515 -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by crenshaw
    Doh! Missed that
    No sweat... Let me know if I can provide any additional information.
    No sweat... Let me know if I can provide any additional information.
    Noticed you set max < 0, and you did not check "soft reset (always clear)". Any benefit to set max < 2, for example, and to check "soft reset (always clear)"?
    Bumping this thread for visibility...watching closely.

I also, installed it myself on a Sprint T650.
    Update: Zero crashes since installation. I used to average about 1 to 2 crashes a day when using the Phone application. The entire device is 'rock solid'. DBCache has made a huge improvement. Thanks for sharing this application.
    I installed it a day or so after this thread appeared. At first, I thought maybe the dialing delay was reduced, but now I believe that was wishful thinking. I don't notice any significant difference. I had no real problem with resets before, and have no problem now. (Pretty much the only resets I get are occasional ones in Blazer, and that doesn't seem to have changed.)

So no harm, and maybe it will help once in a while. I'm leaving it installed.

(Sprint CDMA 650, for anyone who cares.)
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I've installed the application today. So far it seems to have made no difference at all.
    Sprint PCS Treo 600 & 650
    Verizon Treo 700w
    www.James-K.com
    Update: Zero crashes since installation. I used to average about 1 to 2 crashes a day when using the Phone application. The entire device is 'rock solid'. DBCache has made a huge improvement. Thanks for sharing this application.
    I've been using the app for quite a while now. Evilghost's setting (post 5) proves to be the most effective one. I havent had a reset up to know. Im running 1.21 with a custom rom. Normally, I should have had a reset already with all the heavy use earlier today. My dbcache has been holding at the 4mb level. The only downside to this is that my 3rd party launcher (Initiate 1.5) is no longer launched when I press the application button. Is there an app that can map the application button?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast