1.    #1  
    http://laptopmag.com/Features/Skype-...asy.htm?Page=3

You have got to read the article. It is sweet!

They would have to be working on a software for the Palm as well (I hope)

- Blades
    Mother do you think they'll drop the bomb?
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Not according to the skype site.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Yeah, they have recently stated quite specifically they will NOT be developing for the Palm platform. I would venture to guess this is because of the current state of the OS. OS development has all but stopped. Everyone is in sort of a holding pattern until PalmSource finds some sort of direction.

This isn't to say that you will not be able to use Skype on your next Treo I mean, it seems pretty certain that it will be a Microsoft Mobile machine (or whatever they are calling it this month) and Skype IS being developed for that OS.
    I just hope that when it happens, that PalmOne releases a Microsoft Mobile Windows update for our Treo 650s and we don't get orphaned. I love my Treo 650 for the hardware, but I sorely miss Windows. It's so much more powerful as well as easy to use.

Is there anyway to just get a directory listing in PalmOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by puppyfriend
    I just hope that when it happens, that PalmOne releases a Microsoft Mobile Windows update for our Treo 650s and we don't get orphaned.
    As I understand it, the underlying hardware is totally different. What you're asking is akin to wanting to run XP on a Mac, or AIX on your PC - 'taint gonna happen.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  6.    #6  
    Palm Treo with MS Mobile OS - No way no how... That will never happen. Their bread & butter is based on the Palm OS.

Some Wall Street analysts predict that MS Mobile will dominate market share next couple of years.

- Blades
    Mother do you think they'll drop the bomb?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades
    Palm Treo with MS Mobile OS - No way no how...
    Don't be so sure...
    Why else would PalmOne split from PalmSource but to allow for focused development plus flexibility to survive in this fast-paced and unforgiving industry. PalmOne is now a separate organization from PalmSource and while PalmSource tries to develop a linux-based OS, PalmOne can, and probably will, develop products for any OS to develop their separate business.

Furthermore, just as hardware is altered to support the different radio functions (i.e. CDMA, GSM) then so too can the hardware be altered to support a MS Mobile OS. Of course, although a "MS Mobile Treo" may be developed to cosmetically resemble the existing Treos it will be a different device. But, PamOne has the rights to still call it a "Treo", or anything else for that matter...
    Quote Originally Posted by NX01
    Furthermore, just as hardware is altered to support the different radio functions (i.e. CDMA, GSM) then so too can the hardware be altered to support a MS Mobile OS.
    I'm sure that it could be done, though changing the radio is akin to swapping a PCI card in your PC, while changing the hardware to support Windows Mobile would be like swapping the entire motherboard and CPU.

However, the original sentiment that puppyfriend expressed was
    I just hope that when it happens, that PalmOne releases a Microsoft Mobile Windows update for our Treo 650s and we don't get orphaned
    and there's no way that a mere software update is going to enable our existing 650's to run Windoze, Mobile or otherwise.

Now it's possible that someone could come up with a Windoze emulator to run under PalmOS, but somehow I don't think even that would fly in only 32MB of RAM.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    one of the less appreciated factors in P1's inertia in improving their features, and continuing to utilize an older less capable version of the POS, is that they have so much invested in their own proprietary extensions etc. of the POS.

I'm not saying that they won't eventually come out with a product for another OS -- its just that they are very reluctant to jetison all the intelectual investment that they already own -- stuff that the senior people there are most comfortable with.

Maybe they should eventually commit to an OS like Linux or WinMob. But they're not like some monster behemoth from Redmond that has unlimited resources and code smiths to toss around.

They can barely manage to support the one OS they already know well -- how tough will it be for them to take on another OS while still needing to provide some support for the old ???
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Is everyone forgetting that PalmSource bought a chinese linux company?
    I haven't forgotten that PalmSource bought a linux company; have you forgotten how long it takes PalmOne/Handspring to tailor an OS to run on a Treo. History shows it takes more than a year. That is a long time from now. PalmOne cannot wait that long to release another Treo. The market will dry up and disappear.

Actually it would probably be closer to two years because PalmSource has not even accomplished the small miracle of assembling this new linux based OS yet to hand off to developers like PalmOne. Who KNOWS when that will be!?!

Yep, two years is too long to wait for another Treo. That's why I think they will release a Microsoft based Treo. It kills two birds with one stone.

Larger market
    Interim products to continue the Treo line

Let us not forget that PalmOne and Microsoft have already been working together on software solutions for the last year.