1.    #1  
    Hi,

My name is Lee and I am in Dallas, TX. I am a totally newbie and not all that computer savy. I have been reading the posts on this board and I have to confess...some of it goes totally over my head.

I have read a lot posts...and I use the newbie posts as my treo bible. I still have some questions and I am hoping that ya'll can answer them for me since I can't seem to find the exact answers.

I want to upgrade my locked cingular phone to the new beta firmware. I am not sure how to do this. Do I have to have a card? I ordered one on treocentral today but was wondering if I have to wait for it in order to upgrade?

Also, I bought this phone mainly because I need to get my emails when I am out of the office. I can't find outlook on my phone and yet I read about it on posts. Is there some place that I can get outlook?

I have not downloaded anything or tried anything (except to get on the internet). I have just been using the treo as a phone (like your newbie posts specified). I think I am ready now to install the cd that came with the treo. I am hoping that the cd will hold the secrets to outlook...will it?

Also, is there a way that I can have outlook or any other email program that you can recommend check my email for me every set five minutes when I need it to on my treo?

Lastly, is there a better browser for the treo? I tried to connect to the internet using the blazer browser that came with the treo and it makes everything look strange. Is there a program (browser) that will just make everything look in proportion...like just a small screen that looks like what I see on my computer monitor in the office?

I know these are a lot of questions. Thanks so much!!!
    Lee
    Take a deep Breath.

Take one thing at a time.

Enjoy your new companion!

Trust me (I'm a newbie also) alot of what is posted here goes over my head. (It's nice to know the expertise is and will be here when you are ready for it.)

Make a hit list on what you want to do. Take one thing at a time. Read up on the topic here and in the manual. Get it working, play with it and then move on.

I use the VersaMail program that came on theTreo 650 CD-- with it you can connect to POP servers. My work e-mail server is a POP and so is my Comcast.net home e-mail server. So I can connect to my work and home "In Box" while on the road. The account set up process within Versa Mail is fairly straight forward. You will need to know your e-mail user name and password and incoming and outgoing mail server names. These should be listed under account setup within Outlook.

There is a Web site called Skweezer.com that provides a free service of squeezing Web Site content down to fit your Treo. I have Blazer set to that as my homesite. You can compress to "text only" or "PDA format." Works great. I get all my news from MSNBC.com thru this connection. Very workable.

I did not need an SD card to do my firmware update to 1.08 on my Sprint Treo 650. The process was very well documented at PalmOne under Support, then select your Palm unit / carrier, then scroll down to the firmware update download. Directions should come with the download. Main need is to have enough working memory free to do the update, so you may have to temporarily delete some programs you may have added to get enough open free space.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/10/2005 at 09:49 PM.
    Versamail is your email application(outlook) on your treo. Versamail is already installed on your treo. You don't need to reinstall it from the CD. Read the owner's manual and it will show you how to set up your email account(s).

The best thing for you to do is to see if you can get someone local to help you setup your phone. You may wanto to check with palmone or palmsource's web site and see if there is a palm user group (PUG) in the Dallas area. Contact someone in the PUG and attend the next meeting. Just my $0.02.

Good luck.
    Hi Lee,
    First of all, you might want to help get up to speed by checking out this FAQ: http://mytreo.net/faq/ There aren't many updates to the Treo 650 FAQs but many of the Treo 600 FAQs do apply. Hopefully that won't confuse you more than get you up to speed.

Regarding outlook.
    I assume you want to access your outlook mail on your company's exchange server. Well there are several options:

1) Use Versamail which came with you Treo. It will access your company's exchange server though Microsoft Activesync. Check with your IT department and find out if activesync is running or can be set up on your exchange server so that you can access it outside the firewall. This should be a good out of the box solution.

Also, when you install the CD, it'll ask you if you want to use outlook to hotsync your treo's calendar, notes, and contacts with Outlook. It's designed to do this out of the box.

If option 1 won't work, then you have 2 other options.
    2) Beyond Contacts is a full Outlook client for your Treo. But it does not work over the air, it works through hotsync only. It has a companion mail program that also hotsyncs your email which may be useless to you.
    Either way, it's a great program for hotsyncing your calendar, contacts, and notes from outlook to your Treo regardless of what email program you have. I love it and use it in addition to XPress Mail (below, #3)
    This takes the place of using Palm Desktop to sync your Treo's internal calendar, notes, and contacts with outlook.
    I use Palm Desktop software for my personal calendar, contacts, etc. and I use Beyond Contacts for my business/outlook stuff. But that's a more complicated and redundant solution. Still BC is an elegant software package.
    http://www.dataviz.com/products/beyo...cts/index.html

3) Cingular XPress Mail Personal Edition. This will give you over the air (internet) access to your exchange (outlook) email, calendar, and contacts through the corporate firewall. It accesses the exchange server natively just as outlook does, so it does not require MS Activesync.
    It doesn't cost anything extra to register for and use, you just need to have (ANY) data plan.
    Simply go to http://www.xpressmailpe.com/ and register. Then log in to this URL and download the software and user manuals.
    The catch is that it has to be running on your desktop PC to work. It works by running on your PC, it logs in to the exchange server, and establishes a connection out of the firewall to Cingular's XPress mail server. When you check your mail from the Treo it connext to the XPress mail server and contacts your PC desktop to retrieve the mail.
    XPress mail is very basic, but it gets the calendar and email in real time.
    There is also a version called XPress Mail Network edition which is the same thing but instead of you running it on your PC, you have IT install it on the Exchange server. But if you have my luck, IT won't want to do this for you.
    http://www.cingular.com/business/email_solutions
    Again, they say you need to make sure you're set up before registering and that it cost $40, but what they really mean is that they want to make sure you've subscribed to an unlimited data plan. Registering and using XPress mail won't add anything to your bill at all.

No matter what over the air solution you have, make sure you have an unlimited data plan on Cingular. Otherwise you'll be unpleasantly suprised with a several hundred dollar phone bill. $25 Media Net, or $45 PDA unlimited plans will both work just as well. If you look around on here most people will tell you to try to get or switch to the $25 plan.

For web browsing:
    First, make sure you set your fonts to "small fonts" in Blazer which will give you almost double the page width. Also set Blazer from optimized mode to wide mode. Optimized mode reformats the page in to a vertical column to fit on the narrow screen. Wide mode retains the layout of the page but makes you scroll left/right to view the width of it.

Two alternate browsers are Xiino and WebViewer.
    Xiino is the most popular. It uses a proxy server to download the page, and reformat and resize the graphics before your treo downloads them. This speeds up the download by many magnitudes. Unfortunately pages look much worse in Xiino than in Blazer, but they download much much faster.
    http://www.mobirus.com/eng/products/Xiino/
    No matter what, it's considered a must-have for your Treo.

The second is WebViewer by Reqwireless. It's also proxy based, and it also makes pages look pretty ugly, and it also is very fast.
    It requires you to install IBM Java which is free on the Treo 650 support site, IBM java takes up 2MB of your memory though.
    http://www.reqwireless.com/
    The only benefit to WebViewer is that it has excellent javascript support so it'll actually work with many web pages that Xiino won't, and even a few that Blazer won't. In general, though, Blazer will work with just about any page if it isn't too darn big to download.

So start with Versamail for your outlook mail (if you can access activesync.) and definately chose the "Outlook" sync option when you install the CD (your choices are Palm Desktop or Outlook.)

I won't even touch the Beta Firmware issue right now, that's a whole other lengthy post and my fingers are tired. Maybe someone else can help here.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by dfwgal
    :...Lastly, is there a better browser for the treo? I tried to connect to the internet using the blazer browser that came with the treo and it makes everything look strange. Is there a program (browser) that will just make everything look in proportion...like just a small screen that looks like what I see on my computer monitor in the office?!!! - Lee
    On the Blazer screen at the top, there is an icon to the left og the globe icon. If you click this, it will give you the option to pick either "Optimized" or Wide page".

Optimized is the default. Optimized forces everthing to be in one column. Most web sites have three columns: The left where the menu typically reside, the center (where the meat of the site resides) and the right column that hold typically ads. So with the Optimized view, the left is displayed first (top) and the center is displayed in the middle and the right is displayed at the bottom. It is Optimized so that you only have to scroll up and down to see all the content. It takes a sec to adjust your thinking to this layout and to determine how far you scroll down to see what you intent to view.

The Wide page view is closer to what you would see on a desktop. You would need to scroll left to right and top to bottom to see everything.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Wow - that's a very generous response, taylorh. Good for you.

I just switched to a Treo-650 and have been lurking/learning in these forums for over a month now in preparation for actually getting the unit. Your post answered many questions that I would be using the 'Search' function for (and yes, I do know how to use it, being an active member of many other online forums (fori?) - and as someone mentioned in another thread I just finished reading, this forum isn't the most 'accepting/forgiving' of newbies asking the same 'silly' questions over and over again.

FWIW, I'm certainly NOT a gadget newbie - to switch to my new Treo-650 I am putting out to pasture a Sony Clié PDA, a Blackberry 7280, and a _brand-new_ Motorola Razr V3.

I have owned over 28 different cell phones, at least 6 Palm units, several HP-LX100's, an Atari Portfolio (still have it - MINT!) and a dozen or so laptops.

So I'm certainly gadget-friendly. But this whole Treo-650 thing has me baffled, amazed, and a bit saddened. I'm a writer/producer and I need the Treo-650 as just another tool to make my job easier. I'm not interested in wasting time on 3rd party apps, work-arounds, and make-do's just to get this thing to do the job I paid it to do! If this was a car, we wouldn't just 'accept' all these problems, would we?

Anyway, I ramble on.

I just wanted to speak up and let you know that you did a very nice thing. Now I'm going back to lurking, learning, and searching.
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cockroachfarm
    Wow - that's a very generous response, taylorh. Good for you.

I just switched to a Treo-650 and have been lurking/learning in these forums for over a month now in preparation for actually getting the unit. Your post answered many questions that I would be using the 'Search' function for (and yes, I do know how to use it, being an active member of many other online forums (fori?) - and as someone mentioned in another thread I just finished reading, this forum isn't the most 'accepting/forgiving' of newbies asking the same 'silly' questions over and over again.

FWIW, I'm certainly NOT a gadget newbie - to switch to my new Treo-650 I am putting out to pasture a Sony Clié PDA, a Blackberry 7280, and a _brand-new_ Motorola Razr V3.

I have owned over 28 different cell phones, at least 6 Palm units, several HP-LX100's, an Atari Portfolio (still have it - MINT!) and a dozen or so laptops.

So I'm certainly gadget-friendly. But this whole Treo-650 thing has me baffled, amazed, and a bit saddened. I'm a writer/producer and I need the Treo-650 as just another tool to make my job easier. I'm not interested in wasting time on 3rd party apps, work-arounds, and make-do's just to get this thing to do the job I paid it to do! If this was a car, we wouldn't just 'accept' all these problems, would we?

Anyway, I ramble on.

I just wanted to speak up and let you know that you did a very nice thing. Now I'm going back to lurking, learning, and searching.
    Are you in Clearwater now or are you up in Canada for the summer like the rest of your countrymen?
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Are you in Clearwater now or are you up in Canada for the summer like the rest of your countrymen?
    Spent the past 18 years living in Clearwater (Largo, actually) during most of the summer months and in Toronto during the winter. Never could figure out what I was doing wrong.

And for the record, they're not really MY countrymen - I've considered myself to be more of a 'North American' for the past 30 years. Was dragged to Canada from Germany when I was 9 years old. Never forgave my parents for that! I suggested Arizona or Texas, but who listens to a kid when you're emigrating.

FWIW, I'm much more American in spirit, attitude, and lifestyle than I am Canadian.

The knowledge base this forum represents is nothing short of amazing. I've been in advertising and marketing for over 30 years and I can't for the life of me understand what makes PalmOne so insulated from direct user feedback. I guess it's like Sony - successful in spite of themselves.
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cockroachfarm
    Spent the past 18 years living in Clearwater (Largo, actually) during most of the summer months and in Toronto during the winter. Never could figure out what I was doing wrong.

And for the record, they're not really MY countrymen - I've considered myself to be more of a 'North American' for the past 30 years. Was dragged to Canada from Germany when I was 9 years old. Never forgave my parents for that! I suggested Arizona or Texas, but who listens to a kid when you're emigrating.

FWIW, I'm much more American in spirit, attitude, and lifestyle than I am Canadian.

The knowledge base this forum represents is nothing short of amazing. I've been in advertising and marketing for over 30 years and I can't for the life of me understand what makes PalmOne so insulated from direct user feedback. I guess it's like Sony - successful in spite of themselves.
    Well as you can see I am right next door to Largo (avatar area says "Indian Rocks Beach"). I agree there are alot of "wizards" here, hell most of what I know about this damn device I learned here, starting with the 300. Well I hope some of us can be of use to in your quest for more knowledge. I would check out the thread titled "Cool Things ................" can't remember the rest of the name. Anyways there is a whole a**load of tips and tricks in there that are really worth checking out. It even taught this old Treo hound some new tricks.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Well as you can see I am right next door to Largo (avatar area says "Indian Rocks Beach")....
    Next time I'm down, I'll buy you a beer at PJ's Oyster Bar!
    No matter what over the air solution you have, make sure you have an unlimited data plan on Cingular. Otherwise you'll be unpleasantly suprised with a several hundred dollar phone bill. $25 Media Net, or $45 PDA unlimited plans will both work just as well. If you look around on here most people will tell you to try to get or switch to the $25 plan.
    taylorh - which unlimited data plan do you have? $25 or $45?
    ..dino
    I actually have Media Works ($20/month.)
    Media Works used to be unlimited data (unlimited data, 1500 text messages, 200 multimedia messages.) for a 'limited time.' But back in Feb '05 they changed the plan so it has more MM messages and only 3MB of data getting rid of this super bargain.
    When I saw the plan offered I jumped on it switching from AT&Tws where I was paying $50 unlimited data + $10 for text messages on two different phones and switched to Cingular getting the $20 package on both ($80 savings per month.)

However, Media Works is really the same thing as the MEdia Net plan bundled with a text and picture messages. So if I had to do it today I'd be on the $25 MEdia Net plan.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    And even though the "MEdia Net - Unlimited" plan ($24.99) is not an option for the Treo, one can still get it? When going on the Cingular site, I only see this plan available if selecting a different phone (i.e. Motorola Razor). But when selecting the Treo, that option disappears. How does one go about getting it?
    ..dino
    No, they are not supposed to sell you MediaNet on a Treo as far as I know, but you can get it.
    Get the Treo without a data plan. Then go register on Cingular's web site to access your account. Click on "features" then "add features" and you should be able to add MediaNet this way. It's possible the option won't be there, but every single plan from PDA connect to media works is on my page.
    If that doesn't work, you call up customer service and ask them to add $25 MediaNet unlimited to your account. They should just do it. They most likely won't even ask you what phone you have.
    If they do, either simply say "Motorola Razr" (They just want to know if the 'plan' is compatible with the 'phone')
    Or be truthful and tell them it's a Treo. If they say it won't work, say you just want it for WAP only and your friend has it and it works for them. The Cingular CS people think Media Net only works with WAP... it's a long story but it's just they way they're trained to sell the plans.

Or lastly, go ahead and get it with the PDA $40 plan. Then later switch to the $25. Call and cancel $40 on the phone, then add $25 on the web. Or call and simply ask them to switch you. You may get a savvy CS person that will refuse to switch you, so just politely end the call and call back until you get a CS person that'll do it.

This is quite common, I know of quite a few people that have successfully switched from the $40 to the $25 plan.

Short story, no it's not available anymore for Treo, but you can get it.
    The $25 was sold with the Treo 650 for a while but they took it off and added the $40 PDA plan later.

Bottom line, play dumb and pretend you just want to access sports scores through the wap browser (and that you know it'll work.) That's all customer service needs to hear. But in reality you may have no hassle at all, they'll just do it.

I myself signed up with Cingular and got a Samsung phone with Media Works (old MW unlimited plan no longer available.) I already had an unlocked Treo from Palmone and just put my SIM in it and don't use the Samsung. However my case is not common.
    Last edited by taylorh; 05/16/2005 at 05:49 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)