Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I figure it's time we have a new thread specifically dedicated to the Nexchange Email Application.

I'm not sure I understand why the company split out email as a separate product... email is just one of several categories of data that I want to download wirelessly to my Treo (with no redirect or middleware). Granted, email is the killer app for me... just don't get why it was divorced from other Exchange data like appointments & notes. This really makes it seem like there was some big problem with email that they hadn't anticipated.

David, can you please shed some light on this for the throngs of eager would-be customers? Thx.
    Disclaimer: As the author of an email application for the Treo, I may fairly be accused of some kind of bias. However, it is well known that I got into this "business" as a hobby, and am otherwise retired after 26 years in the software business. The opinion that follows is based entirely on my experience in software development in general, and in Treo/email development in particular.

Anyway, here goes:

No fully functional email app is created in a matter of a few weeks, as dtdionne claims to be doing; it is beyond nonsensical. I'd say 6-12 months at a BARE minimum to get the sort of functionality and interface that people would expect on the Treo, say to make it comparable to VersaMail, Snapper, and/or Chatter. And since all three of the above will happily sync with Exchange servers already (Chatter with real push), I don't see why anyone would think there would be throngs of would-be customers unless this goes SIGNIFICANTLY beyond them. Especially at a proposed price which is a multiple of the price of the others.

So I wish dtdionne well with this endeavor, but I wouldn't be holding my breath for the release of a polished, fully functional email product anytime this year. And if dtdionne's proposed hire of 30+ engineers is in any way related to the development of the email product, I'd add an extra 6-12 months.

But hey, what do I know?

Marc

p.s. Have I mentioned the months of testing that will be required?
    Last edited by Chatter; 05/10/2005 at 07:19 PM.
    Marc -

Count me amongst the throng - no other software offers a solution for my situation other than Nexchange.

Neither Chatter, Snapper or VersaMail can help when Exchange is behind a firewall - unless I purchase Movian (for IPSec but which doesn't work on a T600) or Mergic (which only supports basic pptp.)

Redirection solutions can require always-on PCs and authorisation from the IT dept, to redirect sensitive corporate mail.

GoodLink isn't a solution when the IT dept. has invested in BES (Blackberry) or is otherwise unwilling to install server based solutions.

The company I work for has a mobile solution of it's own but currently offers neither push nor sync (being designed for workflow, collaboration and document management.)

I can't comment on the price or development requirements of Nexchange.

So, if you know of another solution that fits my requirements, I'd like to know about it otherwise Nexchange probably still has a market with me.

-Ben
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    swing - I didn't say there was no market for it; I said there weren't likely to be "throngs" clamoring for it. Yours is exactly the situation that the app is for; my guess is that in the near/mid term, the tradeoff will be not needing VPN vs. not having a full-featured and robust application. My sense is that the market is fairly small, unless there is a tie-in with a phone manufacturer or carrier.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    the tradeoff will be not needing VPN vs. not having a full-featured and robust application.
    I'm not sure what you meant here - I expect a full featured (meets or expeeds my requirements) and robust app (stable, able to handle large amounts of data); not a trade off

-Ben

...Just thinking, it wouldn't tale much to add optional IMAP4 or SMS notification probably - then the app will have push and all else.
    The market for Nexchange should be pretty big. At my company alone there a lots of Treo users who cant access their email without a VPN because of firewall security. Especially since most large companies prefer BlackBerry instead.

I do agree with Marc though, it will probably be a trade off at first. Using a less featured email client just to access mail through OWA. Unless the new version is a huge update from the first release.
    Nexchange would be huge at my company. We only provide Outlook Web mail outside our firewall. None of the other email apps will work in our environment.

Movian is a hassle. Business Connection with a server somewhere has security implications.

I'm waiting for Nexchange to be a stable product. I'd be one of the first to pay for this product.
    Since it requires OWA to function, Firewall issues will come in to play. If OWA is already in place then it might be worth looking at a PDA version of OWA. I have used it and found it quite usable. At under $200 for unlimited users it surely won't break anyone. It takes all of 5 minutes to install and requires no client installs or setup.
    Adam West
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamwest
    Since it requires OWA to function, Firewall issues will come in to play. If OWA is already in place then it might be worth looking at a PDA version of OWA. I have used it and found it quite usable. At under $200 for unlimited users it surely won't break anyone. It takes all of 5 minutes to install and requires no client installs or setup.
    This doesn't help the people who are interested in NexChange. A server based solution doesn't help. We have no control over our IT department. Our IT dept. has given us OWA. They won't give us anything else (except maybe blackberry).
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I've got two questions about how this app will handle email:

1) Folders: Will the mail client only do inbox/outbox or will it support filing emails in folders. I've got about 30 folders I save my emails in (all on my exchange account). I'd like to be able to move emails from my inbox to one of the folders from my Treo.

2) Offline access: Will I be able to view/create emails when not connected to the network?
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    hey all, thanks for the support, we have been working like mad

tDot, the email split was a tough decission that i really was kind of against but i took the opinion of a very sr. developer. the decission was based on the internal differences between email and the other data store's databases and the sycn logic used to communicate with the exchange server.

nexchange rc 1.5a is ready and so far, AWESOME!!! here it is:

http://www.nextworks.com/nexchange/n...ngeRC_1.5a.zip

NexMail should be out in 24 - 48 hrs.

I also wanted to say that future versions are going to support on a user selectable basis subfolders of all data stores as well as access to all public folders and the global address list.
    Last edited by dtdionne; 05/19/2005 at 09:40 PM.
    Hi DT,

What's changed in this new version?

-S
    it is MUCH MUCH more stable, it can sync 64000 records in each datastore, it has a timer, it has a daylight savings box, and it has tons of fixes.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    David,
    I am still having the same problems. It times out and I got a whole bunch of dup calneder events. But I can live with hot syncing, ineed the email app. How is it coming along? ETA? Will it work independently of nexchange?
    So close! yet so far....
    My first full synch went ok, but then I got an error when I went back into the
    app to try a manual quick synch...
    The app seems so close to working, but definately needs a lot more QA.
    lemongrass, thats why its a beta and all of your input helps with the QA process. what error did you get? it was most likely an assertion warrning about a numRecord which is just a warning we used to help debugging. there is code in place to fix the error and the warning is almost always caused by a snoozed sync. but like i said its fixed, we have just left the condition checking code in place to get some time under the fix before we remove the check.

rjt2846, email is coming along well, should be this weekend and yes it will be independant of nexchange
    I was able to do the first full synch, but then when I clicked on quick synch,
    I got this error message:
    numRecord=0, physicalRecords=1, expected=0
    If I click ok on the error msg, it just spits out another error message
    incrementing the numbers, and I can't exit NexChange except by doing
    a stylus reset. It never continues on it's own when I click ok, so it is an error stop, not a warning where I could click "ignore" for instance and it might continue.
    Thanks.
    great, thanks lemongrass...very useful
    Quote Originally Posted by lemongrass
    I was able to do the first full synch, but then when I clicked on quick synch,
    I got this error message:
    numRecord=0, physicalRecords=1, expected=0
    If I click ok on the error msg, it just spits out another error message
    incrementing the numbers, and I can't exit NexChange except by doing
    a stylus reset. It never continues on it's own when I click ok, so it is an error stop, not a warning where I could click "ignore" for instance and it might continue.
    Thanks.

I had the same error. I solved it by deleting all the nexchangeSyncxxxdb files. (xxx = Calendar, Notes, Contacts). Then resynch. You should be good. this error apparently happens because the first synch gets halfway finished, then aborts. Then on the second attempt to resynch, it throws that error.
  20.    #20  
    Sorry to sound cynical, but I think we should start to keeping a counter for how many times we see a phrase like "Nexchange Email is 24-48 hrs out". While I appreciate that there may very well be difficulties in launching a product like this, (as someone else on TC suggested) ...this is part of software development.

What irks me are the "any minute now" comments from the CEO. Maybe they are trying to fan the flames on this board to spark investor interest? IMHO they would be better off saying it will be 6 MONTHS, and go and finish the product before coming back here and making unrealistic promises.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast