Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    tdot, i am sorry and i understand your point. rest assured that my intentions are pure and have no alterior motive. also know that i completely share your frustration. I am doing the best i can to give realistic status, when i made that status for email, it was on my device working. unfortunalty, the only way to recover from becoming "the boy who cried wolf" is to not say anything....so you got it.
    tDot -

IMO, dtdionne is making a mistake in setting expectations too high. It's always better to underpromise and overdeliver, in my experience. As I've said before, making a top-notch product from scratch is not going to take days or weeks; it will be many months or years.

Marc
    Hey all, please accept my apology for showing my frustration, i am not going to delete it becuase i said it, but i am sorry. I am not going to quit giving status, i am going to continue to do the very best I can.

I dont know exactly what to say about email...its just very close. This version is going to be identical to the version that was in 1.4b execpt it will be a standalone app and have a timer.
    Quote Originally Posted by tDot
    I figure it's time we have a new thread specifically dedicated to the Nexchange Email Application.

I'm not sure I understand why the company split out email as a separate product... email is just one of several categories of data that I want to download wirelessly to my Treo (with no redirect or middleware). Granted, email is the killer app for me... just don't get why it was divorced from other Exchange data like appointments & notes. This really makes it seem like there was some big problem with email that they hadn't anticipated.

David, can you please shed some light on this for the throngs of eager would-be customers? Thx.
    I would have to agree with tDot here. i can't see anyone wanting to sync their exchange calendar, contacts, etc. without wanting to sync their email also.
    Well, there are MANY people out there using snapper and/or chatter(two outstanding email apps), to name a couple, that only want to sync cal, contacts, notes and tasks. So we developed three flavours of NexChange:

NexChange Corporate Lite - Calendar, Contacts, Notes and Tasks
    NexChage NexMail - Email
    NexChange Corporate Pro - Email, Calendar, Contacts, Notes and Tasks.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtdionne
    Well, there are MANY people out there using snapper and/or chatter(two outstanding email apps), to name a couple, that only want to sync cal, contacts, notes and tasks. So we developed three flavours of NexChange:

NexChange Corporate Lite - Calendar, Contacts, Notes and Tasks
    NexChage NexMail - Email
    NexChange Corporate Pro - Email, Calendar, Contacts, Notes and Tasks.

OK. I understand the thought behind the different flavors now. But i'm hoping that I can scrap Versamail all together when NexChange corporate Pro comes out. And I think that most of your customers will do the same
    thanks lyndon_h, and yes you will be able to do that with the corp pro version.
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    I happen to be a user that thinks eMail and the balance of the PIM should be separate.

eMail is much better as an independent application with some limited tie in to calendaring and contacts. On the desktop I still prefer Thunderbird to Outlook.

Reproducing Outlook in a native Palm environment would I imagine be veeery pokey and prone to resets if the resource hog nature of desktop Outlook is any indication.

If indeed the data stores are different for Mail and the PIM it would also make sense to keep these functions separate for stability and clean code. Right now if this is the case I don't know how David is going to write stable hooks so Mail and PIM can live happily together.

Also, as a devoted user of Chatter I can't see giving it up.

I know I could use Chatter for personal mail and a NexChange suite for work but the Treo only has 32mb of RAM (I have tried Launchers and they are okay but internal RAM is internal RAM).

Anyway, I can't wait for NexChange to be a production reality in any form; Suite or Sour.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Hey Dave,
    What is the status of Nexmail?
    bump. Any updates?
    I'm curious to know if this is close to release as well.
  12.    #32  
    I guess we should EXPECT radio silence from Nexchange since we've given David a hard time about making premature promises....

I must say that I'm getting tired of hearing from my iMate-toting coworkers about how seamlessly and easily they can get their Outlook email on their phones...I find myself having to make excuses for why there isn't a decent PalmOS email application that goes directly against Exchange.

I mean it's great that I can load software onto my Treo that will do everything from storing my important login password & account numbers (splashID) to tune my guitar (Guitar Tuner Lite)...BUT, what I REALLY NEED is a *good* phone that *does email well* in a corporate environment that has no email middleware.

Sadly, so far the Treo has proven to be a mediocre phone and a disappointment WRT the aforementioned email software.
    tDot - Chatter does this direct with Exchange; the only issue would be if you need to use VPN, in which case it's more of a drain on the battery...

Marc
    hey all, things have been going really well...the helpdesk is up and PLEASE stop by, we have a news and status section that will contain the most current info. You can also submit a ticket for assistance. If you have been there before and registered, i am sorry to say that a once in a carreer raid 5 array went down that held the sql db and that data was lost. So please stop by and reregister here

NexMail is going thru some very major changes and I promise that they are going to be worth the wait....which I am sorry for, its driving me crazy too. and tdot your right, i just cant give expected release dates...its just too hard. But i think you will be incredibly pleased with the new developements.

Another thing is that 1.5a has been out for a little while and it is the best version to date and we think that it is going to be, with minor changes, the release version....so please stop by the help desk ( http://support.nextworks.com/helpdesk ) if you have any vital info that we need to know about.
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndon_h
    I would have to agree with tDot here. i can't see anyone wanting to sync their exchange calendar, contacts, etc. without wanting to sync their email also.
    Well, I'll put my vote in this hat. I've actually been using ChatterEmail to talk to my company's IMAP server, but want a good way to sync PIM data. I'm giving some thought to trying Nexchange for this, but wouldn't have any interest in adding another email application. So, for me, having them separate might be a nice way to avoid unecessary bloatware -- installing stuff one doesn't need to get other features they want.
  16.    #36  
    Thanks David. I'm holding off on upgrading from my Treo 600 to a 650 until one of 2 things happens: (a) someone comes out with a killer Palm email client that goes against Exchange (not with IMAP or POP 3) or redirect; (b) someone comes out with a new Windows Mobile phone that has the a similar form factor to the Treo (with keyboard).
    Given the nature of the devices (network is by definition public since the cell provider is your ISP, in effect) and IT departments (who don't like opening up things like client access ports to Exchange through firewalls w/o the benefit of a gateway such as OWA, IMAP, etc) I suspect you might be waiting a while. I would totally agree there's no perfect solution... but then perhaps building upon a few components may be the key. It'll be interested, if they are still offering a trial on it, to see how Nexchange's email client looks. But in my case, I prefer to have all my email accounts in one place (Chatter, ala Thunderbird) rather than be tightly integrated with Exchange in a more proprietary way and locking out the ability to also deal with my other email, too. Everyone's got a different set of criteria and needs... it's a matter for tool vendors to try and satisfy as much of that variability as possible.
    Hey all, RC1.5b is ready to be tested, im just releasing it as a prc that you can download from inside the helpdesk. NexMail 1.5b is also ready to start being tested, its a little more buggy then nexchange but we want to get some feedback.

Be sure to read the News and Status in the helpdesk too.
    kewl! I'll definitely be downloading the new one. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtdionne
    Hey all, RC1.5b is ready to be tested, im just releasing it as a prc that you can download from inside the helpdesk. NexMail 1.5b is also ready to start being tested, its a little more buggy then nexchange but we want to get some feedback.

Be sure to read the News and Status in the helpdesk too.
    Are there any kind of release notes?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast