1.    #1  
    I find that the built-in Calendar ('650, CNG) doesn't even allow setting a default preference of XX minutes warning and Alarm=ON. Is there a better calendar folks are using (that still sync to Outlook 2003)?

Mike
    another vote for DateBK5.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    doesn't even allow setting a default preference of XX minutes warning and Alarm=ON.
    The default Calendar does let you set those things - it's just in a weird place. Go to Preferences, Sounds & Alerts. Choose Calendar as the Application and Tones - you'll see the several options for your Calendar alerts, included the warning time and whether the alarm is on by default.
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    another vote for DateBK5.
    Link broken.
    Here is the correct one.
    Quote Originally Posted by geneld
    The default Calendar does let you set those things - it's just in a weird place. Go to Preferences, Sounds & Alerts. Choose Calendar as the Application and Tones - you'll see the several options for your Calendar alerts, included the warning time and whether the alarm is on by default.
    Cool, I never knew that either.

Just tried it and it works.

Thanks, for the info, G.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
  6.    #7  
    Well, I figured it had to be SOMEWHERE and got close but no cigar. Seems to be OK now; at least good enough for free! Thank you.

What improvements would I get with Datebk5?

Mike
    I must say, that I really enjoy using Beyond Contacts. I like the Outlook look and feel, and the integration is amazing. A well built product for my needs.
    beyond contacts rocks my socks
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgarza
    beyond contacts rocks my socks
    "backs away slowly..."
  10.    #11  
    Well, I figured it had to be SOMEWHERE and got close but no cigar. Seems to be OK now; at least good enough for free! Thank you.

What improvements would I get with Datebk5?

Mike
    Go to the datebk web site and download their 100 page manual.

http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk5-v54a-manual.zip

The features of Datebk5 are too many to list here !!
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    don't you find these programs to be very slow? I installed db5 and my 650 seems to bog down incredibly when I would launch it.
    I have the same problem wi db5 unless I turn of the tasks view.
    I like KeySuite. It integrates with all areas of Outlook.
    I prefer Key Suite to Datebk5. It offers more compatible synching with Outlook. Datebk5 has handheld options that exceed KeySuite in many reas but by using the Palm database is restrcited to a limited number of categories.
    Quote Originally Posted by msgott
    don't you find these programs to be very slow? I installed db5 and my 650 seems to bog down incredibly when I would launch it.
    Most likely, you are using the older version of Datebk5 that used the older PIM database files. The latest datebk5 uses the PIM files on the Treo 650 directly.

I try to stay away from applications that depend on the datamaneger patch that PalmOne uses to provide compatibilty with older applications.

This has been discussed a lot here and in the Datebk Yahoo newsgroup.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by msgott
    From http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk5faq.htm

-----
    Tungsten T5 and Treo650 Devices

You must run the latest V-5.4a release (or later) as the T5 has serious problems with the "DataManager patch" (see note below on T3). With the non-volatile memory on the T5 (and Tre650), the DataManager patch is now unacceptably slow. It is also buggy and will randomly crash underneath any earlier version of Datebk5 (and many other third party apps too), so using V-5.4 or later is important. This release talks directly to the proprietary Calendar and Memo databases, thereby bypassing the patch code and provides good performance and stability. It is not practical at this time to deal with the proprietary ToDO and Contacts databases, so with large databases, you may see some longer delays than on other devices when first opening the database and when exiting the application (if they have been opened).

It is, however, also essential that you go to PalmOne's website and download their latest set of fixes for bugs in the ROM and check back on a regular basis for other fixes for that device.

The VFSDBCache.c error is a bogus error that occurs due to a bug in the PalmOne DataManager patch. The P6 release now sidesteps all of these problems.

If you are upgrading from a prior device, do *NOT* under any conditions follow the upgrade procedure in PalmOne's documentation as it is completely *WRONG* (Treo650 is wrong- and I think the Tungsten T5 includes the same error) and will very likely result in a hung device that requires a hard reset to recover from. It is IMPERATIVE that you rename the Backup Folder before attempting to synchronize with an existing profile (why this information was omitted from PalmOne's directions is a mystery - clearly no one ever tried following their directions while they were doing any testing!!).

If you upgrade using a version of DateBk5 prior to V-5.4, p5, you may find that the Phone button gets "hijacked" by DateBk5 with no obvious way to reset it. If this happens, download the P5 (or later) release (see right-hand sidebar on DateBk5 web page: http://www.PimlicoSoftware.com/datebk5.htm) and run the applet resetphonebutton.prc (in the AdvancedStuff.zip archive that is in the main DateBk5....zip download) to re-assign the phone function to that button.
    ------
    Tungsten T3 and TE and issues with their proprietary PIM databases

With a T3/TE, you will want to be using no version earlier than V-5.1b, s7. This includes support for the portrait and landscape modes on the T3. It also prevents most duplicate alarms on both the T3 and the TE AND solves the Palm Compatibility layer flaw of not properly synching records. A download link for the latest step preview is always displayed in the right-hand sidebar of the DateBk5 web page.

The T3 & TE also come with new PIM databases and applications and a huge patch to the Palm OS (The "DataManager Patch") which attempts to provide backwards compatibility with existing third party apps, but it is not all that reliable and can cause both crashes and synchronization problems. This will of course result in problems with any third party app that works with the PIM databases. The most recent V-5.1b release manages to sidestep most (if not all) of the flaws in Palm's compatibility/mirroring code. Sometimes the DataManager patch can cause a delay exiting DateBk5 (and also a strange "clicking" sound). V-5.4a significantly reduces all these problems by completely bypassing the DataManager patch for most operations, so you should definitely install this release.

PalmOne has also just released an updated DataManager patch for the Tungsten E and T3 and the Zire-72 and Zire-31 and it is strongly recommended that you download and install this patch to improve the reliability of your device (in particular, it fixes the serious bug of getting stuck in endless Dmwrite Error loops): http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...im_update.html.

Also, the new PIM Databases have some new fields in them (such as the Location field in the calendar database). This information is *NOT* mirrored into the classic PIM databases as there was no provision for storing this information. HOWEVER, PocketMirror has always had the capability of appending the location to the description text, so you may just want to use PocketMirror (www.chapura.com) to synchronize the Datebook database if that particular item is important to you.
    ----
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM