Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I just rec'd my 650 yesterday (unlocked, P1). In upgrading from my 600. I thought I would give it a try and hotsync to the same user name as my 600, HORROR! I had thought the "incompatible third party apps" would be removed to a backup file, apparently not. It created this HUGE ENDLESS RESET and it took me about 15 minutes to do a hard reset because all during the hard reset it kept resetting. I'm thinking maybe I should return the 650. My 600 rarely reset, and besides the screen resolution, wasn't too bad. I suppose I have 30 days to try to get the 650 working properly. I know it's my fault for not being more careful in upgrading, but I don't think it should be this huge exercise to upgrade a handheld.
    Last edited by jekswang; 05/19/2005 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Updated
    Upgrade incompatibility is discussed in several threads here. In fact, I'd be surprised if it's not in one of the sticky threads. It's a known issue, and there are recommended steps to take when migrating. Read up before you return it.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Thanks, I had actually printed out the incompatibility list, but thought that "incompatible apps" would be removed and quarantined at hotsync. But also, I've found that insufficient memory will also cause the loop and reset.
    I'll work with it more. (I also viewed some old pics on the 650, amazing difference from the 600). I'm thinking I'll create a new user name, then copy the PIM data, then add the 3rd party apps one at a time.
    Anyone know if I can use the 650 desktop software with my 600?

Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    Upgrade incompatibility is discussed in several threads here. In fact, I'd be surprised if it's not in one of the sticky threads. It's a known issue, and there are recommended steps to take when migrating. Read up before you return it.
    I take it you bought your 650 from PalmOne.com? Just so you know in case you decide to retun it, you have to go online and get an RMA # from them. You'll get an autoresponder stating that within 48 hours they'll send you an RMA #. (My friend took a good week!) You'll have to pay and insure shipping on your own PLUS they have a 25% re-stocking fee! I don't know if they charged my friend for the re-stocking fee being that all this was just days ago.

What I would do if I were you if you decide not to return it is call their sales dept. and tell'em you've gotten a defective unit and want an re-placment asap! they'll send you one fed-ex and also send you a pre-paid shipping label you print out via e-mail.

May the force be with you.

- Blades
    Mother do you think they'll drop the bomb?
    Maybe your problem is not even "incompatible apps" or a defective unit.

For starters, you need to follow the proper steps in initializing your T650 which you can either get at PalmOne website, TreoCentral threads, or probably in the manual.

One thing you MUST NOT do is to simply synch your T600 files and software straight to your brand-new T650.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    learn from the experience of others --

After you hard reset the 650, and before you do anything else -- use it as a phone -- with NO CONTACTS and NO APPLICATIONS installed at all.

Do that for a day at least. Ensure that its a working Treo. Then, and ONLY THEN, follow the rest of the process that is outlined in one of the guides someone else has written.

It involves checking that your contacts have no corrupt data, and renaming your old backup files, and then patiently adding applications after you first checked that aren't known issues with those applications on the 650

good luck -- and don't attempt to short circuit the process -- you'll only become more frustrated
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    I suggest that you check the phone functions for a day or two on your clean 650 before you install any PDA apps.
    I've had my unlocked gsm 650 for 2 days now and still haven't hotsynced it but one thing I knew from the start is that you do not change the user name until after you've finished all the initial hot syncing. I haven't even started doing it yet so I don't know the procedures but I know all the threads, and Palm's later revisions of its instructions, all say that you start out with the CD and don't change the user name! You rename your old backup file, for starters, I know that too. The rest is too daunting for me to start yet. Actually I'm using an old SIM card to compare Singular and T Mobile in all my favorite places before I choose a carrier. So far, on limited testing today, T Mobile wins the coverage contest (in NYC).
    I have TMO here in NYC and love their service. A couple of years ago during the blackout my Verizon phone couldn't get a signal, but lots of folks with T-Mobile were getting their calls through. That convinced me. The wife has kept Verizon but I have the T-Mobile service, eliminating the hazzard of "all eggs in one basket". Plus Verizon's choice of phones really bites the big one.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    Fewer Treo 600/650 owners than you would realize actually find their way to this great resource "before" they buy one.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Hooray, it's ok now! My 10 day old 650 is fine now, I guess I just needed patience. I started from scratch, created a new user name and synced only my PIM info, then started transferring my third party apps one by one. It's only reset a few times (knock on wood), a few times from Versamail, and once from Grafitti2 (deleted).
    Now I suppose I'm ready to part with my 600