Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Any advice/comments on the advantages of GoodLink vs other desktop client push software?
    My company has a GoodLink server but will only pay for a license for phones owned by the company. For a personal phone I have to go to Good and pay $330/yr for a license.
    Is GoodLink that amazing to be worth the $$ or are other push mail clients good enough?
    Also, If anyone knows about Cingular's partnership with Good. Thier CSR don't seem to know much but they say if you get the PDA data plan you get the Good "Feature" for free. Anyone know what this is and if you would still have to purchase the $330 Good license fee? Seems to me this is just Cingular trying to force you on the PDA plan instead of the MediaNet plan.
    Don't know what the CSR is talking about or what "Good Feature" is. Obviously, I think it is worth it but I will keep my biased opinion to myself. A point, however, is that with the one year sub, you actually get 14 months, so it works out to $23.57 per month. A two-year subscription is $541.20, which works out to $19.32 per month as you get 4 months free.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply...here is the email I received from Cingular..

To answer your question, no, you will not have to purchase the Goodlink
    license, we actually have the feature that we will add to the account
    that will allow you to use Goodlink. Once you purchase the PDA package
    of your choosing, we can go ahead and provision everything on the
    account for you to be able to use the feature.
    Wow..can you do me a favor and forward that email to me at tarheelv@gmail.com. You can delete any other info, but I would like to follow that up here.
    Last edited by GoodGuy; 05/10/2005 at 11:43 AM.
  5.    #5  
    So my final question for you...is Cingular just trying to screw me into a PDA plan or will GoodLink work using the MediaNet data plan? As far as I know the only difference is PDA plan gives you a IP addressable phone and VPN while MediaNet is just Internet.

Thanks
    Depending exactly what you need I would suggest trying Chatter..low priced and upgrades don't cost a dime...and believe me it gets upgraded alot. I have been using a few months now and it works excellent for the price.

I don't really have a need for Goodlink and while it may a be a good program I'm totally against paying a yearly fee for any software.
    Quote Originally Posted by hbrunton
    So my final question for you...is Cingular just trying to screw me into a PDA plan or will GoodLink work using the MediaNet data plan? As far as I know the only difference is PDA plan gives you a IP addressable phone and VPN while MediaNet is just Internet.

Thanks
    As far as I know, right now, the only way you can get GoodLink is through Good Technology or one of our VAR Partners and that Cingular is not currently offering GoodLink licenses. Also, GoodLink will work with any Cingular Data Connect Plan, from their 5MB through 20MB and PDA Connect Unlimited.
    Quote Originally Posted by timexx8
    Depending exactly what you need I would suggest trying Chatter..low priced and upgrades don't cost a dime...and believe me it gets upgraded alot. I have been using a few months now and it works excellent for the price.

I don't really have a need for Goodlink and while it may a be a good program I'm totally against paying a yearly fee for any software.
    timexx8...

Chatter is not an enterprise level solution. The fact that you are unwilling to pay an annual license fee for any software is obviously your decision, however, there are 3 million Blackberry users and thousands and thousands of GoodLink users who share a completely opposite opinon.
    hbrunton,
    If you're looking for a cheap or free solution to exchange email, calendar, and contacts, Cingular's XPress mail doesn't cost anything to use. You just need a data plan ($25 Media Net, or $45 PDA.)
    While Goodlink is obviously superior and preferred, the cheap route could be XPress for you. I use XPress Mail Personal Edition. You set it up yourself, it takes only about 15 min tops, and you don't need Cingular or IT to set it up for you. Unfortunalely PE requires you to have a desktop PC running all of the time.
    Just go to http://xpressmailpe.cingular.com/ and register. It won't add anything to your bill. Download the PC software, install it on a PC inside the corporate firewall and use it to log in to Exchange. Then install the Treo client and it'll connect to the desktop client through the XPress mail server on the internet. You can do all of this in the next 15 min if you wanted to.
    I would say XPress gives you minimal basic exchange access, it's not fancy by any means, but it does the trick for me.
    There is also XPress mail network edition in which you can have IT install the redirector software on a server so you don't need to keep a PC running.

So if it sounds like it'll work for you and you're unable to solve the Goodlink solution, this is an option.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    As far as I know, right now, the only way you can get GoodLink is through Good Technology or one of our VAR Partners and that Cingular is not currently offering GoodLink licenses. Also, GoodLink will work with any Cingular Data Connect Plan, from their 5MB through 20MB and PDA Connect Unlimited.
    Sounds like Cingular just wants to squeeze out more $$$ from their customers any way it can.

- Blades
    Mother do you think they'll drop the bomb?
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the replies...
    While I do think GoodLink would be far surperior than the rest my only concern with paying the license fee myself (Billion$$ Company won't pay!) is I can't be sure I'll be here for a full year and I'd hate to leave and go to a company without a GoodLink Server. How come Good doesn't offere a monthly plan?

I am going to try out Chatter and then Xpress Mail and see which I like better. I know this is out there on some other post so sorry, but does chatter sync up Contacts, Calendar and Tasks from Exchange or is that just done with a Sync.

Thanks again...
    Even with a monthly plan, I would think there would be a commitment requirement (similar to the carriers) in place, so it might or might not address your concerns.
    Quote Originally Posted by hbrunton
    I know this is out there on some other post so sorry, but does chatter sync up Contacts, Calendar and Tasks from Exchange or is that just done with a Sync.

Thanks again...
    Chatter is strictly an email only program.
    XPress Mail is mail, calendar, and contacts, however it doesn't sync calendar and contacts with what you have in the Treo.
    With XPress mail the Treo calendar, contacts, notes, and tasks will continue to remain untouched and sync with your Palm Desktop (or outlook if you have chosen that during install.) XPress Mail has it's own calendar, mail, and contacts applications. For that matter your contacts aren't ever synced. XPress mail allows you to look up contacts over the air and it queries your exchange server for the info rather than store them in the Treo. The calender and mail sync up though.

I think Goolink is similar in that it also has it's own calendar and contacts databases separate from the internal Treo app, but I can't be sure (that's a question better answered by someone else.)

I actually use Dataviz Beyond Contacts to sync my outlook calendar, tasks, and notes in addition to using XPress mail for real time over the air mail and calendar updates. Yes it's redundant, but BC is a full featured outlook like client so I like having my info in it. Then I use Xpress mail for the mail and for real-time calendar updates. BC also uses it's own proprietary databases seperate from the internal Treo databases.

The only way to get the actual treo databases synced up is to use the palm desktop install and tell it to hotsync to outlook, or look in to Nexchange which is the only program I know of that is supposed to sync up your Treo databases with exchange directly form the exchange server natively over the air. However you need access to the exchange server or as they have told me, outlook web access has to be exposed outside the corporate firewall to use it.
    The user on Treo Central dtdione (or dtdionne) is the Nexchange rep.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    HBRUNTON:
    " my only concern with paying the license fee myself (Billion$$ Company won't pay!) is I can't be sure I'll be here for a full year"

That is exactly what happened to me! I paid for my license ($330) and a month and a half later they laid off my whole department! Now I can't access any contacts, calendar events, tasks etc. that I had on my Treo after good link was installed! AND I can't uninstall without a hard reset. Which BTW is scary for me, since they took my laptop in the lay off and I have to install fresh on a home laptop.

It was a beautiful program but way to hard to uninstall.

GOODGUY: I did back up all my data prior to the lay off, is there anyway to add it to the palm desk top via import or something?

Sandy
    sandy..

Unfortunately, the GoodLink back-up backs up the application. The data is residing on Exchange.
    Okay, thanks. now for question #2, How do I uninstall Goodlink. I know I have to do a hard reset somewhere, but what files do I have to take out of my back up before resyncing?
    I have been looking into Goodlink as a small business solution. But options available to companies who outsource exchange hosting appear very limited.

At the level of Exchange 2003 ASPs, I was only able to find $330 / per license + $50 setup fee per account in addtion to the Exchange hosting fees. Also this did not include discounts for 2 year agreement -- or the 14 months for 12 -- or the free 30 day trial advertised promotions for in-house corporate hosted solutions.

Hence the cheapest option I was able to find was 330*2 + 50 = $710 for 24 months. Compared to the above mentioned $541.20 for 28 months for corporate customer. Doing just some simple math, it's a lot more expensive for an externally hosted solution. $29.58 / month vs $19.32 / month.

I found only a handful of service providers offering hosted Exchange / Goodlink and contacted them. None were able to offer even the 30 day trial of the service. They claimed the reason for this was licensing restrictions.

I wish Goodlink had better offering for small businesses or more flexible licensing terms for hosted exchange providers. Microsoft has a different licensing structure for service providers (SPLA - service provider license agreement) which allows more flexibility to ASPs and small businesses alike.

I do believe Goodlink to be a top notch productivity software solution. Does Goodlink have any plans to expand its offerings to service providers and small businesses utilizing hosted exchange solutions?

Thanks.
    Wow.. I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't "reconcile" the GoodLink pricing model. We currently provide hosting and we pitch the Good/Hosted Exchange/Treo formula where we can. When you add it all up, the customer invariably says wow, that's really expensive! Supposedly, the next version of Exchange is to have "Good" like functionality, so we'll see.
    -w00t!
    Cingular is full of BS if they are saying that they can offer the GoodLink service through your cell plan. For their GoodLink Server (i doubt they have one) to retrieve the email from the YOUR exchange server there has to be a DOMAIN TRUST relationship established between their server and your corporate exchange server. No security consicous network admin would allow that!

As for the Exchange/Good Hosting VAR out there (I am one) can honor Good's pricing! If you seem the $$ quoted on a website do not line up with Good's offer then call! They will honor! We do!
    nexchange rc1.5a is available here:

http://www.nextworks.com/nexchange/n...ngeRC_1.5a.zip

NexMail will be out in 24 - 48 hrs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast