Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    So here's what I think is happening... Cingular has a device (G100) that uses GoodLink to do email. It is a seperate device that is purchased and a monthly fee paid to Cingular (about $40/mo).

To use GoodLink on your Treo6XX you purchase a data plan from your provider (unlimited is recommended here) and then pay the $330 to Good to aquire a 1 year license. You then have your IT admin that manages your internal Good Server and they will provision your device and you're set.
    Folks,

I don't think Cingular xpress mail is free -- I think it is $39.95 / month. Having said that, Cingular Express mail is the same as Sprint Business Connection and is provided by a company called Seven (www.Seven.com). I used it with Sprint and Cingular, and it is an excellent push e-mail solution. I don't use their calendar and corporate conact solution that much, but they work.

Sprint Business Connection (Seven's solution) was $15 / month or free for some business accounts. It works really well.

I looked at good and it gets great reviews. But it is more expensive and needs 10+ Meg of memory which was way too much on a 600 (and way, way too much on a memory limited 650). Also the costs are higher.

In addition, Good's server needs to be installed on a dedicated windows "server" machine which can't be the same as your exchange server box. This is a lot of overhead when Seven's solution can be installed on a desktop machine for a single user or a reagular box for corporate users.

Glenn
    glenn butler, if you get a chance you should check out our app called NexChange...in a nutshell you install it on you treo, tell it your outlook web access url, your username, password and domain and it then communicates directly with the exchange server and syncronizes your email, calendar, contacts, notes and tasks into the native palm databases. Version 2 will sync all subfolders, public folders and the global address list.

you can download a fully functional eval here

http://www.nextworks.com/nexchange/n...ngeRC_1.5a.zip

this is actually nexchange corporate lite which does not have email. we are very close to releasing nexmail.
    Last edited by dtdionne; 05/22/2005 at 11:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtdionne

you can download a fully functional eval here

http://www.nextworks.com/nexchange/n...ngeRC_1.5a.zip
    Dead link....
    Thanks....its fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    As far as I know, right now, the only way you can get GoodLink is through Good Technology or one of our VAR Partners and that Cingular is not currently offering GoodLink licenses. Also, GoodLink will work with any Cingular Data Connect Plan, from their 5MB through 20MB and PDA Connect Unlimited.
    Although I will warn folks (and accept feedback if someone can demonstrate theirs is working) that even with a unlimited PDA data plan, I have had to keep my network settings on WAP in order to get connected to Good on the 4.0.x software. There is apparenly a IP routing difference on the Cingular network that causes my packets not to reach the Good server if I connect using the (faster) ISP or ISPDA GPRS profiles. I am still in the process of tracking this issue with Cingular, but so far no joy.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmire
    So here's what I think is happening... Cingular has a device (G100) that uses GoodLink to do email. It is a seperate device that is purchased and a monthly fee paid to Cingular (about $40/mo).

To use GoodLink on your Treo6XX you purchase a data plan from your provider (unlimited is recommended here) and then pay the $330 to Good to aquire a 1 year license. You then have your IT admin that manages your internal Good Server and they will provision your device and you're set.
    The G100 was discontinued a long time ago. I think your Cingular rep is simply confused. About what, I don't know.
    I have had no issues with my 650 and Goodlink 4.0.3.6. We have been running them for over a month now with no issues on Cingular's Unlimited PDA Data Plan.

-Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by blickley
    I have had no issues with my 650 and Goodlink 4.0.3.6. We have been running them for over a month now with no issues on Cingular's Unlimited PDA Data Plan.

-Chris
    Sure... but what does your Prefs/Network stuff say? Particularly the User field... ?

And if you open up the Status panel for GL, what is the IP address of your reported server? Is it 198.76.161.10?
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    Sure... but what does your Prefs/Network stuff say? Particularly the User field... ?

And if you open up the Status panel for GL, what is the IP address of your reported server? Is it 198.76.161.10?
    My GL reported server address is: 216.136.156.75.....I don't see a user field in my Prefs/Networks settings....sorry.
    My GL reported server address is: 216.136.156.75
    So, Mr. Goodlink... this raises that question I posed some time ago. How is it that a client chooses a server? Particularly in the case where the software is installed by neither OTA (our corp server is still 3.x) or cabled management station... I installed the s/w myself and provisioned it over email with our IT.

I don't see a user field in my Prefs/Networks settings....sorry.
    Then you're not looking in the right one. Press "home", open Prefs, select "Network". There you will see a field called User Name. There is perhaps an off chance that CDMA phones are a little different... but if it's GSM, it's there.
    Hmmm..In mine (Sprint) the IP address is 216.136.156.75 in the GoodLink Prefs->Status. I don't have a user field in prefs. What information is shown for you in the prefs->network?
    So, Mr. Goodlink... this raises that question I posed some time ago. How is it that a client chooses a server? Particularly in the case where the software is installed by neither OTA (our corp server is still 3.x) or cabled management station... I installed the s/w myself and provisioned it over email with our IT.

Then you're not looking in the right one. Press "home", open Prefs, select "Network". There you will see a field called User Name. There is perhaps an off chance that CDMA phones are a little different... but if it's GSM, it's there.
    I'm looking the right place, but as GoodGuy stated too, there is no User field. Perhaps it is different for unlocked GSM phones, but at least on my cingular branded phone, no user field.

-Chris
    I'm looking the right place, but as GoodGuy stated too, there is no User field. Perhaps it is different for unlocked GSM phones, but at least on my cingular branded phone, no user field.
    Ick.... how do you know if they've got you using WAP, ISP, or ISPDA? The default profile they ship out to the SIM -- even with ISPDA provisioning -- was WAP... :-(
    Hmmm..In mine (Sprint) the IP address is 216.136.156.75 in the GoodLink Prefs->Status. I don't have a user field in prefs. What information is shown for you in the prefs->network?
    So, how does the GL client decide? Has it chosen incorrectly in my case? Sometimes black boxes express the desire to be pummeled with a sledge hammer.
    So, how does the GL client decide? Has it chosen incorrectly in my case? Sometimes black boxes express the desire to be pummeled with a sledge hammer.
    That's a good question. Let me see if I can find out.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    my ip is 198.76.161.10.

cingular 650 with goodlink 4.0.3.6

no issues runs like a champ

no user field either, only a user data field
    Some asked earlier about uninstalling goodlink. Is the only way to do it is via a hard reset?
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_vag
    Some asked earlier about uninstalling goodlink. Is the only way to do it is via a hard reset?
    You will have to do a pin reset to stop GoodLink from running in the background. You can then delete the GoodLink files manually.
    That's a good question. Let me see if I can find out.
    I'm asking my IT folks to reprovision my GL client today. I'm hoping this might help with the IP address situation... but we're kind of grasping at straws here. There's really no excuse for me being forced to use WAP on a Treo. It's kind of like taking a Ferrari and and using it as a golf cart.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12