Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is it possible, a la .cab files on ppc. Or do you have to use hotsync?
    I have sent myself an e-mail with a .prc file attached and it has installed correctly when I clicked on it as the attachment. (E-Mail opened in VersaMail on my Treo 650)

I have also moved .prc files to my SD card thru a card reader.
    If downloading from the internet, just go to the site in blazer, highlight the link and hit the center button. It should download and install the file.
  5.    #5  
    cool it worked. No PC side or cable needed. Nice. thanks.
    Is "installing" a prc to the SD Card as simple as copying it over to the SD card in the correct directory, say using a card reader?

Or does hotsync do something more elaborate than that?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I install most applications by copying them to my SD card if I'm at my workstation, it's generally faster than doing a hotsync. Although sometimes I'll just do pilot-xfer -i file.prc and do a hotsync, it only loads the new file that way and doesn't do a full sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    Is it possible, a la .cab files on ppc. Or do you have to use hotsync?
    As stated before, you can point your browser to Over-The-Air installation locations to install applications directly to your Treo without having to use HotSync.

GoTreo Software has a fully browsable OTA site for all offered applications. (http://gotreosoftware.com/downloads/OTA)

I also use Palm File Browser to install applications to the Treo when my Treo is linked to my PC. It works over both USB and BT.

Jeff
    Using an SD card reader you can copy the .prc to the /palm/launcher directory on the SD card.
    Then pop the card in the Treo, press the home button until you see the SD card programs.
    You can then do "Menu" and "Copy" and select program to copy from the card to RAM.

You can also use Filez, Teal Mover, Rescoe Explorer, or any other file management program to copy the file from the card to RAM.

Some programs have multiple PRC and PDB files, you'll have to use a file management program to get the pdb files, the standard menu>copy won't see them.

Also, some (they're rare) PRC files are installers that explode in to many files in RAM. One example is IBM Java from the palm treo support site. Once you copy it to RAM, run it, then you'll may need to reset the Treo to complete installation.

But for most program just copy it to /palm/launcher and then use menu>copy. This is how I install 99% of all of my software.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I Bluetooth 'em over from my iMac G5, Powerbook etc.. Using the "send file" command under the bluetooth menu bar item. Works like a charm for every type of file! And of course, no hotsync needed!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Is "installing" a prc to the SD Card as simple as copying it over to the SD card in the correct directory, say using a card reader?

Or does hotsync do something more elaborate than that?

Depends on the .prc. As stated above, most programs are just the .prc file and copying that to the Palm unit will do the trick. A few programs have .pdb files (database) that the .prc program uses -- such as a diet program that has food calorie and nutrition info available. Here, you need to copy the .prc and the .pdbs to have the program work.

Only the programs, as the Java mentioned, above -- actually do an "install" once they are on the Palm and they are rare.
    I think another such "install" program is VoiceDial by VoiceSignal (being pushed by PalmOne).

Anyway, good to know that Hotsync otherwise just copies the files over. Installing to the SD card is much faster using a card reader.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I send them via AIM to my VeriChat client.

I think that covers all the ways with the exception of IR.
    I use bluetooth on my PC. I right click on the file and choose 'send to bluetooth device' and in a few seconds it's installed on my Treo. Works a lot like using IR to file swap.
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyjacks
    According to the "PALMONE TREO 650 SOFTWARE COMPATIBILITY LIST" Pilot Install 4.8.0 does not work with the Treo 650.
    Pilot Professional 1MB -> Palm III -> Palm 515 -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    I install most of my apps from the device directly.

1. I download them from the web (PRC or Zipped). Unzipped with Resco Explorer.

2. I email it to my gmail which forwards it to my normal email. I use gmail to archive all incoming and outgoing mail to my palm. I have gotten burned with VersaMail and have lost my history - so gmail protects me without worry of going over the quota (for now). I use SnapperMail Premier and do not have any of the VersaMail (never deleting from server) problems any more.

3. I keep alot on the apps on the PC. I use WiFile Pro to install straight from the PC via Bluetooth. Now that 2.0 has FTP support, I keep some on my web site and install them with WiFile from my web.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...=1&prodID=7146

Pinstall: - Install PalmOS software, pictures and documents WITHOUT HotSync - View images WITHOUT viewer software - Download software directly from the web to PDA! Install pictures to your handheld on the fly!
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
    Quote Originally Posted by crenshaw
    According to the "PALMONE TREO 650 SOFTWARE COMPATIBILITY LIST" Pilot Install 4.8.0 does not work with the Treo 650.
    Just the info I was looking for. Thanks.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Pilot Install 4.8.0 does not work for me on my 650 (gives an Error)... i used an older ver for my Palm Vx and loved that, was disappointed to see it not work on my new Treo.

I must say, the Hotsync is pretty fast via USB, so not really an issue at this point. Just installed FileZ so it sounds like I can just drop the files on my SD card and either run them from there (/Palm/Launcher>) or move 'em into RAM.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I use an IRDA adaptor and windows. Just turn on the IR port on the 650, let the PC port "see" the 650 and then click on the icon that appears on your desktop. It opens a dialog box, select the prc and click send or ok ( I am doing this from memory and cannot remember which). The 650 will ask if it is ok to accept file, click yes and it is installed. This works for 2000 and XP for sure.

greg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast