1.    #1  
    My husband and I both have treo 650's which have identical hotsync ID's (there's a reason for this). I just got the Treo wireless headset and he wants to get one as well. It appears that the TWH passkey is set permanently at 0000. Is there a way to change the passkey on the TWH so that our devices/headsets can have different passkeys? We're not wild about getting each other's calls on our headsets when we're both home.
    Good question. My wife and I will have VZW T650's this weekend and we already have two of the TWH's. We do NOT share the same hot sync name, but how will the headsets and T650's react when they are in close proximity.

Anyone???
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    I'ts my understanding that the passkey is just a requirement to pair two bluetooth devices. That way (theoretically) if you're trying to pair your headset in the back of a bus and someone in the front of the bus is trying to pair another headset then they won't be able to pair their phone to your headset unless they know your passkey. In the real world this won't work, because the passkey for every single bluetooth headset I've seen is 0000, but in trying to pair other devices, at least, it adds a bit more security.

What I'm trying to say here is that you can pair your headset to your phone and your husband can pair his headset to his phone and then each pair will only talk to itself. Your headset won't react to your husband's phone calls and vice versa. Just like someone in the front of a bus talking on a bluetooth headset won't affect your bluetooth headset in the back of the bus... even though they both have a passcode of 0000.

Now, if you pair your headset to both phones, then you could have some issues, but I'm not sure that there's any reason to do that.

HTH,
    Brett
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I don't think you can change the passkey but it should not matter. I believe that bluetooth devices have unique ID numbers that are registered with the phone when you pair so the headset should only respond to the headset it has been specificially paired to.

Quote Originally Posted by love2lindy
    My husband and I both have treo 650's which have identical hotsync ID's (there's a reason for this). I just got the Treo wireless headset and he wants to get one as well. It appears that the TWH passkey is set permanently at 0000. Is there a way to change the passkey on the TWH so that our devices/headsets can have different passkeys? We're not wild about getting each other's calls on our headsets when we're both home.
    Just to throw my two cents into this discussion:

I agree with what everyone else says. My understanding of the bluetooth pairing process is the following:

1) Headset is in "pairing mode"

2) Phone searches for devices in pairing mode.

3) Enter pass key to show that you should be able to pair to that device.

4) Phones pair, but do not use the "pass key" as the authentication again.

I don't think the Hotsync ID is used either. I believe there is some sort of unique ID for each bluetooth device that they use.

If someone knows otherwise, please let me know.
    If you look in the trusted device list and click on details it looks like there is a hardware MAC address (like a NIC) that is used to pair the device. So theoretically, every BT device has its own hardware address.