1.    #1  
    What are the pro's and Cons of using VersaMail as opposed to Cingular's Xpress Mail?

Are there any major differences?
    VM is a scheduled check/download vs. Xpressmail is "push". I am a xpressmail user, my wife likes VM. I would classify her as more a casual user, i am more a power user. Both have worked well for us and our needs. Xpressmail does require you have a computer running the desktop software with your mail program open for the "push" feature to work and for you to be able to send email directly from the treo. VM does not require this feature, it works directly with your pop, imap or exchange server. those are my basic thoughts, i am sure others have theirs as well. if you have specific questions i am happy to try and answer them for you.
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
    The primary benefit to Xpress Mail is that it works natively with Microsoft Exchange Server (Outlook Mail) and has a dektop PC redirector program that allows you to access exchange email through a corporate firewall. It also syncs your corporate calendar from Exchange and gives you access to the corporate contacts list in exchange. As mentioned, it'll give you PUSH mail for exchange email, I don't think PUSH actually works with IMAP or POP mail though.
    XPress mail must use the PC software, or the software must be installed on the server (by IT) to connect XPress with Exchange. The fact that you have to have this software running on a PC (only for exchange, not POP or IMAP) 24/7 may be enough of a deterrant for many.

Versamail uses microsoft activesync to communicate directly with the server without the use of 3rd party redirectors.

My company does not run MS Activesync on our exchange server, so I can not use Versamail with our corporate mail/contacts. I also can not access through the firewall. So Xpress Mail is my only option.

Xpress also uses minimal bandwidth downloading only 1-3K of email or attachments and allowing you to downlod more on demand. I also has it's own internal application for contacts, mail, and calendar rather than using the Treo's internal calendar and contacts. I actually prefer this in order to keep my work calendar separate from my Treo calendar which I use for personal. Xpress will allow you to view some types of document attacments right in email without using documents to go or another external app to view them (It strips the text out for a very basic viewing of the contents.)
    Xpress access all mail through an intermediate gateway on Cingular's server. The benefit is that you can log in from a normal PC web browser to access your mail this way instead of on Treo. The downside is that if the server is ever down (rare) you'll be unable to access your mail directly.

So there are a lot of differnces. When it comes to Exchange, it's really about MS active sync vs. native exchange access.
    If you're only using POP or IMAP, I'd have to say I prefer Snappermail or Versamail.

It doesn't cost anything to use XPress Mail on top of your data plan. You do the simple registration and download/install it to try it out. If you don't like it, just simply delete it from "Menu>Delete" on you Treo and it deletes nice an clean.
    https://xpressmailpe.cingular.com/
    Last edited by taylorh; 05/10/2005 at 01:32 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  4.    #4  
    Thanks a lot guys.
    The info you provided is extremely informative.
    Does Xpress mail require you to open ports through the corporate firewall?

Or does the PC based application do that for you?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    No, you don't have to do anything special. Just run the PC software and it establishes the connection through the firewall much the same way mail program would access a pop server or a web browser would acces an https web server. Of course I don't know what actual port(s) it uses, and it's always possible that port or range could be blocked. But you don't have to configure any port forwarding on the firewall to make it work.

Ocasionally (rarely) the link will drop, I won't be able to connect to the desktop. But within about 1-2 mins it always re-establishes the connection and I'm able to get mail.
    It's really designed so you don't have to envolve IT at all don't need to do any configuring.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I have to use Xpress to access my work email, which is the only email I get on my Treo 650. I use the Personal Edition, and have not found that I get true push email. I end up doing manual synchs almost obsesively becuase the rest of my company uses BlackBerry and they get email instantly. As a result, I am expected to be getting email instantly.

Is there something special I have to do to get true push email through Xpress?
    PUSH works for me, but it's not always immediate. I used to use chatter. I would redirect most if not all of my email with an outlook rule to an off-site IMAP server and use chatter to get push mail from the IMAP. Chatter is fast, it's immediate.
    But XPress mail can take up to 2-3 minutes at times to send my mail, other times it's immediate. I'll actually see the mail pop up in my outlook inbox and hear Xpress mail beep my treo within seconds. Often I have outlook minimized and forget to check for mail ocasionally, and my treo reminds me that I have a bunch of new mails coming in.

Secondly, if you have 'push' selected and you start driving around, your GPRS link can sometimes drop as you pass in and out of coverage. If your GPRS connection drops, XPress mail push will NOT force the treo to re-establish a GPRS connection, you simply will not get any more email until you re-connect. This is unlike chatter which will check that you have GPRS every min or two and force a re-connect if your connection was lost, it's very reliable this way.

What I do when I have push selected, is to also select "smart power sync." I leave them both checked. This way I'll get push mail, and power sync will actually force a sync every 15 min. At least that way the absolute max time before I get that mail will be 15 min. Also, if my GPRS connection has somehow dropped or become stagnant, the sync will actaully force the Treo to re-connect.

PUSH works great when I'm relatively stationary in any one spot, but as soon as I start driving around or going place to place, push becomes unreliable.
    I think what happens is that if you have brief loss of GPRS at the time when it's sending the push notification, you'll never get that notification until you sync.

So that's my suggestion, use push in addition to smart power sync. The scheduled sync is the back up.
    Also, if it seem to just not be working at all. Uncheck push, force a sync (press the check mail icon), then go back and re-check the push selection and re-sync again. When you're changing the push state you'll notice the sync takes a bit longer as it re-confitgures the option on the server. Maybe this might help kick it back in to gear.

I actually go through the trouble of unckecing push (then syncing to turn off push on the server) at the end of the day and re-checking it at the beginning of every day so it isn't trying to push mail when my phone is off for the night. While this is probabally not necessary, I like to have push turned off when I think my treo will not be available to get the push notification.

So it's not as fast and reliable of a push as blackberry. But at least you don't have to use a blackberry

I seem to have read in another thread that the blackberry connect for palm is coming out very soon (FINALLY! after month of vaporware.) Hopefully you can get that when it comes out and be like all of the blackberry people.
    I'm certainly interested in checking it out, but I'm not sure if we support blackberry here.
    Last edited by taylorh; 05/11/2005 at 05:46 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Quote Originally Posted by ApollosWorld
    What are the pro's and Cons of using VersaMail as opposed to Cingular's Xpress Mail?

Are there any major differences?
    I picked Versamail over Xpressmail because it could open .jpeg attachments. That was a major issue for me.
    Is there a difference in the way the corporate and personal editions work?
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    I seem to have read in another thread that the blackberry connect for palm is coming out very soon (FINALLY! after month of vaporware.) Hopefully you can get that when it comes out and be like all of the blackberry people.
    I'm certainly interested in checking it out, but I'm not sure if we support blackberry here.
    Who's writing that software? Blackberry or Palm?

Our organization supports Blackberrys .. so that may be the easiest way to do push e-mail for me.

Will Xpress mail allow pushing of outlook e-mail and calendar only? My corporate directory has thousands of contacts in it. I do not want it on my Treo...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    With personal edition you install the exchange software on your PC and leave it running. You install it, maintain it, and run it. It runs through the XPress mail server on Cingular's network.
    Network edition this software is installed on a server by IT and works in an almost identical way as Personal edition.
    Corporate edition, I think, bypasses one layer where IT opens up a port in the firewall for more direct communication. I'm not realy sure.

THe overview is here:
    http://www.seven.com/products/overview.html ("Server edition" is "Xpress Network edition" and "Enterprise edition is XPress Enterprise edition")
    Also poke around on Cingular's site under business solutions / Email soltuions and you'll find descriptions of all 3. The descriptions are almost identical to the Seven site.

As for the Blackberry connect question. That's being written by RIM (blackberry.) Since RIM is all about the solution, software and service (blackberry hardware is merely a means to deliver it) they're going ahead and supporting the Treo in order to capture those potential licenees rather than lose them to a competing solution (Like Goodlink.)
    Here's the orig. press release on RIM's site:
    http://www.rim.net/news/press/2004/p..._2004-02.shtml
    As you can see that press release is a year old, and it's still not deployed. But on another thread somewhere here on TC I read that they just started beta testing, so this is worth looking in to. Ultimately, I assume this would be the best solution for you since the company is supporting blackberry.
    You may even want to contact IT and see if you can get a hold of your company's RIM (blackberry) representative and see if your company can install and beta test blackberry connect right away.

Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Will Xpress mail allow pushing of outlook e-mail and calendar only? My corporate directory has thousands of contacts in it. I do not want it on my Treo...
    XPress pushes mail and calendar only, and it pushes it to XPress's own proprietery clanedar and email program (it isn't integrated with the palm internal calendar.)
    The contacts, however, are not pushed to the device. If you want to look up a contact you enter it in the serach field, send the search, and it retrieves that contact (or all contacts meeting your search criteria) from the server over the air. These include your personal contacts in your outlook account as well as the corporate global contacts.
    It works quite well. This is how you look someone's email address as well to send them email.
    Last edited by taylorh; 05/12/2005 at 07:27 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Thank you, Taylorh. I am close to giving Xpress mail PE a spin.

Will Versamail and Xpressmail PE coexist peacefully on the Treo 650? I'll end up keeping VM as a backup and to access my home ISP's and Gmail's POP accounts while trying out Xpressmail.

Also, where are the updates to Xpressmail posted (there must be updates .. there always is). Some part of it is in the ROM. Is that ll that's needed on the Treo?

Thanks again for your help..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    XPress mail shouldn't interfere with Vesamail or any other program for that matter on your Treo whatsoever. It's fully self contained and doesn't interact with any other apps or databases.

Updates are done over the air. When you insall and run XPress Mail there is a "Check for upddates..." option under the settings menu. Simply click this and it'll go check for updates and supposedly download them if they are available.
    You can also download the latest PRC by logging in to http://xpressmailpe.cingular.com/ (to your XPress mail account) and click on "downloads."
    But I've used it since Feb and there have been no updates released since then.
    Current is Version: 6.3.1.506
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    This has been a very good post to describe some differences between the two. Here are some points I can add after reading through the thread:

1. XpressMail Push is not like an IP based Push of Blackberry. It is more of a "triggered pull". What happens is an SMS message is sent to your device which is intercepted by XpressMail (that's why you don't see it). This trigers the client to go pull your new messages. It is also designed to not do this too rapidly meaning the best case is generally 2-10 minutes for a push to get triggered after a new email, all dependent on server load at Cingular as well. It will aso delay if you are using your device / on the phone etc. One note is if the SMS sent to your device is unanswered after 4 attempts it won't send another one until you manually sync to tell the server you are ready. This prevent useless SMS messages from being sent if your phone is off, out of coverage or worse yet your number gets transfered to a non XpressMail customer who would see cryptic SMS's when the client is not installed. Now with that said people always want to debate the true IP push and 'gotta have it instantly' type scenario.

2. IMAP / POP - You can set up these connectors via the Desktop connector or via the Web interface. They are distinct and if you set them up via the Web Mail interface they do NOT require you to have your Desktop client to be running. This does imply you have external acccess to these IMAP and POP accounts via the Internet (since you Desktop Client ie. redirector may be turned off).

If you setup the POP / IMAP via the Desktop client then it will obviously require the Desktop Client to be running and connected. Last I recall they DO support Push as well but only when configured via the Desktop Client and not the WebMail connectors. The Desktop Client only supports one connection at time though so my scenario is I setup the Desktop to Exchange through the Exchange connector and then two POP connectors via Web mail to get my outside personal mail. To cool thing is you are just one email button click away from each one on the 600 or 650.

3. Ideally XpressMail does not require any ports to be opened in the Firewall since it uses known and generally open ports like 443 (SSL) to communicate and uses its own encryption on top of that. Firewalls that do stateful packet inspection may trip this up but that is generally pretty uncommon.
    Last edited by MobileGhost; 05/31/2005 at 01:13 PM.
    1. The delay in the pull action varies. Very often, like most of the day today, the Treo 650 is getting the e-mail a few seconds before my Outlook on the desktop.

Question: How does XpressMail do outgoing SMTP emails? Will I need to use cwmx server, as RoadRunner won't accept SMTP traffic originating outside it's network?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    1. The delay in the pull action varies. Very often, like most of the day today, the Treo 650 is getting the e-mail a few seconds before my Outlook on the desktop.

Question: How does XpressMail do outgoing SMTP emails? Will I need to use cwmx server, as RoadRunner won't accept SMTP traffic originating outside it's network?

See my response and questions here to your other post:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ht=Xpress+Mail