1.    #1  
    I have mixed emotions about this phone right now. I love the versatility of it and I like that everyone else "loves it". But it seems really unstable to me. I've had two specific problems, perhaps others have had the same and can tell me a workaround.

The only programs I have installed myself are the latest versions of Uninstall, pTunes, and Lightwav.

With Versamail, I occasionally come across an email (spam) in my AOL Mail that won't let me delete it. In fact, when I try to delete the spam, the phone resets completely.

The other problem I have is that sometimes the phone portion just powers down. It's like it has a mind of it's own. I set the phone down and boom - the phone goes off. It drives me nuts. It seems like if I barely bump the phone, it resets. Is this a known problem? Do I need a new phone? If I bring it back to Cingular, do they copy over my software or do I need to purchase the programs (Ptunes, Lightwav) again?

Ooops, there it goes again. Just heard it in the other room as it was recharging. The phone just went off. Drives me crazy sometimes.

Thanks.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelfan22
    I have mixed emotions about this phone right now. I love the versatility of it and I like that everyone else "loves it". But it seems really unstable to me. I've had two specific problems, perhaps others have had the same and can tell me a workaround.

The only programs I have installed myself are the latest versions of Uninstall, pTunes, and Lightwav.
    I think LightWav has been known to cause resets.

With Versamail, I occasionally come across an email (spam) in my AOL Mail that won't let me delete it. In fact, when I try to delete the spam, the phone resets completely.
    Never had this problem. But I do have resets when I recieve .xls zipped. Do not know why but I can deal. I read about it hear somewhere about forwarded messages causing resets.

The other problem I have is that sometimes the phone portion just powers down. It's like it has a mind of it's own. I set the phone down and boom - the phone goes off. It drives me nuts. It seems like if I barely bump the phone, it resets. Is this a known problem?
    Sounds like your battery may be lose.

Do I need a new phone? If I bring it back to Cingular, do they copy over my software or do I need to purchase the programs (Ptunes, Lightwav) again?
    If it makes you feel better go trade it in. Hell I would.

Ooops, there it goes again. Just heard it in the other room as it was recharging. The phone just went off. Drives me crazy sometimes.

Thanks.
    LOL
    Never heard of the random phone shut off problem. My suggestion is to give it until the next official firmware upgrade. If this problem is still around than get a replacement.

Dont know what to tell you about the AOL email problem. I know that Versamail will be upgraded to version 3.0c as part of the next FW release.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I find LightWav to be so unstable and detrimental to overall phone operation that I cannot run any version of it without problems.

You might try an uninstall of it and see if your problems go away. Do a search and you will find many, many problems associated with LightWav...

Just my opinion, good luck.
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    I find LightWav to be so unstable and detrimental to overall phone operation that I cannot run any version of it without problems.

You might try an uninstall of it and see if your problems go away. Do a search and you will find many, many problems associated with LightWav...

Just my opinion, good luck.
    This very sound advice.
    I had the random phone turn off problem. PDA portion would stay on, just the phone would turn off.

I got the problem down to where I could just tap the right side of the phone (near the top) and the phone would turn off 100% of the time.

Once I got the problem isolated I knew it was a hardware problem and I exchanged the Treo for a new one the next day.

Problem solved. I think you need a new phone.