1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if it's possible to access the Internet by satellite with a Treo 650 using a satellite modem? (if there is such a thing, ideally for rent)

I'll be deep in the Rockies this summer, well out of range of cellular towers. The lodge where I'm staying has a satellite dish for Internet access on my notebook, but I also want email access for day hikes, when I'll be gone for several hours at a time.

Thanks.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bsolomon
    Does anyone know if it's possible to access the Internet by satellite with a Treo 650 using a satellite modem? (if there is such a thing, ideally for rent)

I'll be deep in the Rockies this summer, well out of range of cellular towers. The lodge where I'm staying has a satellite dish for Internet access on my notebook, but I also want email access for day hikes, when I'll be gone for several hours at a time.

Thanks.
    Maybe in the future. Say a year or 2. Read More Here

http://www.sanswire.com/images/sansw...gar2-small.jpg
    http://www.sanswire.com/images/header.jpg
  3.    #3  
    NRG, thanks for the info. That's something to look forward to.

Hey, I just thought of something...does anyone know if a satellite phone combined with bluetooth could get a Treo onto the Internet?
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    NRG, thanks for the info. That's something to look forward to.

Hey, I just thought of something...does anyone know if a satellite phone combined with bluetooth could get a Treo onto the Internet?
    That was the only thing I knew of. I really doubt there is anything out there at the moment. There are rugged laptops that are capable of doing this but the cost of service for it would be prohibitive. Atleast by my budget.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    There are several pagers which will deliver email via sat. But why they heck are you taking a vacation in the mountains, if you want to stay connected.

Turn off, unplug and RELAX for a while. It will change the way you look at email when you get back. . .

Thanks.
    I used the following technology while staying at the Hilton in Maui recently.
    http://www.maui.com/Press/MSF42202.html

Connections were sporadic to ok. Was sufficient enough to get all my emails and stay "in-touch."

Maybe there could be something like this in the rockies somewhere, but I don't know. Probably doubtful at best, but with enough research you might find something. Good luck.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    T-Mobile and Cingular have full coverage at a lot of the Colorado ski resorts. I used to use a Treo 270 at the top of Aspen mountain! Satellite Internet access is prohibitive unless someone else is paying for it. It's also very slow compared to GPRS, cable modem or DSL.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    The lodge where I'm staying has a satellite dish for Internet access on my notebook, but I also want email access for day hikes, when I'll be gone for several hours at a time.
    You probably already know this, but as a reminder you can save webpages to the Treo for later viewing. You could load up at the Lodge and view en marchant. While this won't give you real time browsing and/or posting, it would help you kill time during breaks.

There are advantages to being wired, even while enjoying the unplugged outdoors. Example: Sure would like to know what kind of snake that is that just bit me. Google/Images/rattlesnake - damn, better head back pronto for anti-venom.
    Quote Originally Posted by jberger
    There are several pagers which will deliver email via sat. But why they heck are you taking a vacation in the mountains, if you want to stay connected.

Turn off, unplug and RELAX for a while. It will change the way you look at email when you get back. . .
    I have to agree with jberger - enjoy some solitude, and you'll come back with a better attitude.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.