1.    #1  
    Is there a way other than using Skinner to do this? There are skins you can simply install that replace the default one... Do you use the Skinner create theme app to make these, too?

Yes, I have looked high and low for info on this already - including googling.
    GEEKTOPIC - The Geek Forum. <--Free Hentai Image Forum!
  2.    #2  
    Is this too stupid a question for anyone to respond to, or is there honestly nobody who knows how to make an OEM dialpad skin (not one for TakePhone or Skinner)?
    Other than skinner and takephone no i have never heard of anything. You can replace your splash screen without a 3rd party application from what I can tell on shadowmites but there is nothing there on the dial pad since the last time I was there. I ran Into a fellow who had a dialpad overlay on his T600 and I was lead to believe it was unrelated to a 3rd party application and it came from people on TC.

Why wouldnt you just use skinner? You can create dial pads and splash screens any way you would want to then.
  4.    #4  
    Because I want to keep the number of apps on my device to as few as possible (at least, that I don't really need).

There MUST be a way, because if you go to the 'other' Treo site (the one that starts with 'my'), there are downloadable prc files that directly replace the ROM based skin for the OEM dialpad. Simple, easy, and it works without needing any extra software. I'm currently using the red button one.

Nobody knows how to make these standalone prc ROM replacement files for the OEM dialpad?
    It must be a little tricky since shadowmite only has the splash screens available. I looked at the images at MTDN. Those overlays are not much to look at. I know you said you would rather not use skinner but you can do alot more with Skinner. You can set up wall paper for the dial pad screen in addition to the splash screens and of course the regulal dial pad screens. here --> click

Sorry if this is of no help, at least you thread is getting a bump.
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelator
    Because I want to keep the number of apps on my device to as few as possible (at least, that I don't really need).
    To the rescue of Skinner There are only two technical reasons why you could want to do that:

1) You want to save space. But Skinner requires hardly any more space than making a standalone splash/skin. The skin and splashes itself will have the same size, Skinner.prc's overhead is 26kB only. Standalone skin/splash files may differ in overhead depending on the way they are created.

2) You want to reduce possible problems related to software. Let me tell you that using Skinner may be safer than using a standalone skin/splash file. See below.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelator
    There MUST be a way, because if you go to the 'other' Treo site (the one that starts with 'my'), there are downloadable prc files that directly replace the ROM based skin for the OEM dialpad. Simple, easy, and it works without needing any extra software. I'm currently using the red button one.
    These prc files do not replace only the skin, they replace an overlay that is in ROM. This potentially might lead to problems in the future if PalmOne decides to release an update that modifies the ROM file. After you put your backup back on the Treo, your standalone skin file might be incompatible to your new ROM.

Skinner's skin file is inserted dynamically at run-time, i.e. no ROM file is shadowed.

Further advantages of Skinner are, of course, that you get a desktop application with it by which means you can create skins and splashes more comfortably (including insertion of backgrounds).

Okay, enough advertisements ;-) Feel free to give it a try and let me know if you have any question relating to Skinner (email skinner at 79bmedia com)
    Daniel Seifert
    Vote for your favorite skins at http://skinner.79bmedia.com
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the info on Skinner - and indeed that's a valid point regarding any potential changes/updates made to the default overlay in ROM being incompatible and thus nullifying any backups I have.
    I haven't done it yet on my 650, but made literally dozens for my 600 without any issue. If/when i get the time to try it, I will make a couple and post them for you. BTW, all I used was photoshop and prcedit.

-Joe
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Ow, Ill have to check out that prc edit, thanks.