1.    #1  
    Can someone tell me how does one go about getting a malfunctioning Treo 650 replaced by Cingular? When I called they told me to call Palm. Palm says call Cingular. I never had a replacement problem with Sprint.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    When you call Cingular and connect to Repairs through the menu, ask the rep for the dept. that handles Treo 650's. I had my go dead and had to have it replaced. The rep connected me to the "special" dept. that handles only Treo 650's. They were back ordered so it took a couple of weeks to get my new one but it did arrive.
    Over 30 days or under? Under 30 days take it to a Cingular store for a swap. Over 30 days it's a standard warranty repair (replacement, most certainly) by Cingular.
  4. agi
    I have been waiting for a replacement for over 2 weeks now. If they tell you otherwise. let me know so I can call back.
  5.    #5  
    I am actually waiting for them to call me back. Who knows what they will say.
    Will Cingular provide an advanced replacement or do they expect you to be without a phone while you return yours to get it replaced?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  7. agi
    Advanced replacement, but they are OOS.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I called last week, got an advance replacement in less time then they originally committed (7 days). I was impressed.
    What is OOS?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    What is OOS?
    "Out of Stock"
  11. agi
    Well, time for me to call. They said they are out of stock and have been for 2 weeks now.
    I had better luck than most I have read here. I thought I had some problem with the touch screen even after a hard reset. So I called it in immediately. The rep took down the details and said he would send a new unit out immediately (3 days). In the mean time I got the touch screen to work again. The new unit arrived and the touch screen died again. I backed up and transfered to the new phone and sent the original unit (just 1 week old) back.
    Just ordered my replacement. Has everyone received new units. Or has anyone out there been sent a refurb unit.
  14.    #14  
    I will receive mine in about 2 weeks. Obviously the problems I told the rep are evident to Cingular. The rep didn't want to bother with procedure because he knew it wouldn't do a thing. I may sell my replacement. I'm getting a little tired of the problems after 3 years.
    Beware of the Cingular "Advance Exchange"...

I posted this over at HowardForums.com a while back, and am reproducing it here as it may prevent some frustration for someone:

Cingular "Advance Exchange": To Hell & Back

Had to share a "Hell & Back" store with regards to a recent Cingular "Advance Exchange" ordeal.

In short, I was an early Treo650 adopter. Unfortunately for me, my original unit activated in early February suffered from the now well-known Defective-"Gemplus" SIM problem.

In early March, coming up on 30 day Return period, I was advised by Cingular to do an "Advance Exchange" (i.e. pay full price for a replacement, get credited the full amount when defective unit is received back by Cingular). This is where the Hell began.

First off, despite 3 phone calls after the Advance Exchange date (approximately 1 week apart), no prepaid return-label ever arrived. To date, no return-label every arrived, despite rosy promises to the contrary by Cingular "Supervisors" at each and every call.

Finally, about 3 weeks after the "Advance Exchange", a Cingular Supervisor advised me to send it (at my own cost) to their Exchange/Returns facility at an address in Ft. Worth, TX. Dutifully, I sent it via USPS Priority with Delivery Confirmation #.

Two weeks later, when no credit appears on my CC, I double-check the D/C# to find that the item was "address undeliverable and returned to sender". What!? No package was ever returned to me.

So, here I am, deep in Hell, with a full-charge for my replacement Treo650 on my CC, and the defective Treo650 missing!

A half-dozen calls to Cingular Supervisors result in nothing. They confirm the address I sent to was correct, but all advise "Sorry, we can't issue refunds, that's another Dept." Some Supervisor politely advise I write to the Office of the President of Cingular Wireless if I don't like it.

Finally, a Cingular Supervisor, who takes the time to actually do real research advises that the address I was given for sending in the defective unit was defunct (closed facility)! But not all Cingular departments were aware of this. But, he gives the same "Sorry, refunds aren't my department"-answer.

Finally, this last week, getting nowhere with the so-called Supervisors; I decide to contact the Office of the President and CEO. It took some hunting and persistance, but was finally able to acquire the tel# and fax#.

After faxing in a letter outlining my horrid experiences with Customer Service (detailing the string of broken promises, never-received return-labels, promised return-calls, the wrong address given out for returns, and unhelpful Supervisors), I am finally able to make contact with a receptive ear in the Office of the President. Within 1 hour of my phone call, two other Sales Support Supervisor conference-call me to tell me they're on the case. Within 48 hours of my call to the O/P, a credit is posted to my credit card.

Moral to the story: 1) Don't even consider doing an "Advance Exchange" with Cingular Wireless unless you have the stamina to deal with the above; 2) The Customer Service hierarchy at the service-level is very flat, and the so-called Supervisor have little-to-no authority to cut through red tape to assist customers who fallen through the cracks.; 3) If you can't get resolution at that level, you MUST contact the Office of the President--who can and will assist you if you've crossed all your t's and dotted all your i's.

I hope someone finds this experience useful.
    Sadly, I went through a very similar experience with a Cingular return recently. In my case, I was simply returning a defective phone within 30 days for credit. I returned the phone in February, and as of early May they still claimed not to have received it, and were unwilling to accept any responsibility for it - despite the fact that they prepared the shipping label, selected the shipper, and paid for the shipment. I finally sent them a letter formally disputing the charge on my bill, and within a few days they miraculously discovered that the phone had, in fact, been received by their warehouse in early March. Why it took from Febryary to March to "arrive", and why it took from March to May to issue a credit is beyond my comprehension.

So I finally got it cleared up, but not without going through months of aggravation and lengthy phone calls to their customer service. Exasperating, to say the least, but sadly it's pretty typical.

Incidentally, this whole experience had nothing to do with my Treo. I've had to replace that twice now as well, and I've been going straight to Palm for the exchange - despite the fact that the phone came from ATT/Cingular in the first place. Palm handles the exchange quickly and properly, but they charge me $25 for the privilege. Frankly, I think that sucks. Why can't these companies actually stand behind their products and services?
    I had the same problem: Cing sent an advance replacement, billed me for both phones, never received a call tag, never received credit for the returned phone, had to dispute through credit card company. Only advice is don't EVER buy through Cing!
    It's not just Cingular. I got an advance replacement from the PalmOne store, and there was no return shipping label with the new unit. I had to call and email them several times before I eventually received one.

All the while I was fully expecting a charge to appear on my Amex, but it never did, and I eventuially received a receipt acknowlegement from P1, so I guess it worked out OK in the end, but one shouldn't have to go to those lengths to make their process work.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisB
    .... had to dispute through credit card company. Only advice is don't EVER buy through Cing!
    At least you had the good sense to buy it on a credit card rather than letting Cingular put it on your bill. It's a lot easier to dispute it through your credit card bank than it is to do so directly with Cingular. If I ever buy another phone from Cingular (and unfortunately, I'll probably need to at some point), I'll definitely put it on my Visa, not my Cingular bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilliland
    At least you had the good sense to buy it on a credit card rather than letting Cingular put it on your bill. It's a lot easier to dispute it through your credit card bank than it is to do so directly with Cingular. If I ever buy another phone from Cingular (and unfortunately, I'll probably need to at some point), I'll definitely put it on my Visa, not my Cingular bill.
    I always have these types of charges put on my Credit Card because:

1) I want "The Miles" or "Patronage Dollars" that come with it
    2) Specifically for the occasional moronic business practices of corporate behemoths like Cingular