1.    #1  
    I continually have problems with Versamail. Is there another program that is less problematic ? I did not have these problems with the mail client in the Palm Treo 600.

I use a POP3 account setting and get quite a # of email's per day which I have set to clear out after 2-3 days. But it keeps freezing up or having to be reset over and over again.

Any help or thoughts on this greatly appreciated.

I know snappermail2 is a recommendation - is this better and are there other alternatives.
    Snapper (snappermail.com) or Chatter (chatteremail.com) are the two most used around here. Both have their pros and cons. Personally, I prefer Chatter, but it was originally IMAP-only and has only recently started to support POP3; Snapper's POP3 support may be a little more robust at this point.

Both products can be installed and run on a trial basis for a few weeks; I suggest you install them and try them for yourself - only you can decide which better fits your particular habits and requirements.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    I tried Chatter and it kept reseting my treo. I think it wasn't playing nice with something else (Verichat maybe?). Anyway, I went back to Snapper and have been very happy.
    I started using Snapper and am now using Chatter. Chatters POP support is just as robust in my opinion, Snapper just as a few more POP friendly options that I bet Chatter will have soon.

I find Chatter to have an edge, even though I only use POP.

1. Chatter knows when my Radio is off, as of my last try, Snapper didn't.
    2. Chatter knows when I am streamming audio and will not try to wake up the treo like Snapper does and have the screen come on every 5min.
    3. Chatter supports emails within emails (or what ever it's called) I had an email with an email attached and Snapper could not do anything with it, Chatter was able to open that attached email too.
    4. Auto complete of addresses.

This is just my opinion and your milage may vary.
    Just my 2-cents, Matt

From Google "Dictionary Robust"
    Technology

robust
    Refers to software without bugs that handles abnormal conditions well. It is often said that there is no software package totally bug free. Any program can exhibit odd behavior under certain conditions, but a robust program will not lock up the computer, cause damage to data or send the user through an endless chain of dialog boxes without purpose. Whether or not a program can be totally bug free will be debated forever.
    Last edited by Burkhardi; 05/10/2005 at 10:43 AM.
    I use snapper mail. I used sanpper on the 600 and had simmilar problems to yourself and others with Versa after reading many reviews found some had had good results with Snapper and no negative results. Some have reported having problems with Chatter.
    I like chatter. I don't like POP but if thats your thing ;-) Chatter does take a little more know-how in order to set it up but with it running in the background allowing you to be in another app, then respond to an email and go back to what your doing...its awesome.
    I'm using snapper. It just great! Versa is a very buggy application!
    with snapper very happy over here
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I use Snapper and wish its interface were as nice as VersaMail (the auto-fill To: fields is GREAT IMHO). Snapper just isn't as easy to use stylus-free as I'd like. Never tried Chatter.
    I like Snapper. We have moved our whole office over to it. No problems whatsoever on our Treo 600s or our Treo 650s. It's a great app and it performs well.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize
    I use Snapper and wish its interface were as nice as VersaMail (the auto-fill To: fields is GREAT IMHO). Snapper just isn't as easy to use stylus-free as I'd like. Never tried Chatter.
    I agree 100% with the auto-fill wish. I jumped to Snapper almost immediately for some features I needed. In the short time I used VersaMail I noticed how well implemented the auto-fill feature was.
    chatter did not only caused resets on my CDMA 650, it also led to the lost of saved pref. Luckily, I had a back up. I used to use versamail, but I had many issues with it, so I switched to snappermail. It has been trouble free for me.
    Treoing & Loving it
    so basically there is no clear answer...
    FWIW, I have noticed with Versamail that sometimes when deleting messages it can hang for a LONG time, but will enevtually finish. I reset it a few times at first then realized if I was very patient it would come around. We're talking 10 minutes in some cases.
    Snapper has what I would call pretty close to Autofill. You type part of a persons name and hit the space bar and you are in your contacts highlighting the name that closely matches. Works pretty well. Everything is stylus free.
    The clear answer is that each person has their own preference.

I think that Chatter is handsdown better -- has autocomplete/autofill (just start typing a name and it starts weeding them out), opens embedded emails -- has always been stable for me (and I even am on the 1.23beta) ... seems to me that others that have stability woes perhaps are due to other 3rd party software conflicting with it.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I just upgraded to the 650 from the 600 on Sprint. I was using the free Mail app that had been available as a download from Palm for the 600. Does this app work on the 650 as well? I haven't beamed it over yet to try. Just thought someone here might know.
    Palm III > Treo 600 > Treo 650 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Sprint)
    Macbook C2D 2.0GHz
    Quote Originally Posted by Munir
    I just upgraded to the 650 from the 600 on Sprint. I was using the free Mail app that had been available as a download from Palm for the 600. Does this app work on the 650 as well? I haven't beamed it over yet to try. Just thought someone here might know.
    I would like to know this as well. I never had any problems with the old mail app on my 600. I'm a little hesitant about installing it though, because one time, I (stupidly) installed it on my Dad's Treo 300 and it totally locked it up. He lost about two weeks of info since he had been out of town and didnt back up...
    nelson1 - Chatter has auto-fill that is at least as powerful as VersaMail's (it combines most recently used addresses AND the Contacts database, and it's lightning fast).

gt5l - Some users had issues with preferences, although Chatter does NOT play with the SavedPreference database in any unusual way (and the latest versions don't use it at all). I'm not sure whether it's Chatter related or Sprint Updater related or 3rd party software or what, frankly.

Marc