1.    #1  
    One of our users is getting an error message anytime he pushes any button on his Treo 650 (unlocked GSM version) such as the phone or menu button:
    "The free data storage space on the device is critically low. Delete applications or data."
    It then will usually (but not always) restart itself and start doing the error again on reboot, and then restart again - hence the infinite loop reference in the subject.

He started seeing this as he was taking pictures over the weekend and presumably ignored it and kept taking pictures. Now we can't delete the photos (since they seem to be what is causing the issue) since when we click on "Media" or the "Camera" icons, it shows us that error and then either goes back to the main menu screen, or it reboots.

I found this thread here:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...critically+low

It indicates that I should do a soft reset and hold down the "up" part of the navigation button in order to start with the extensions turned off. I took off the back cover and pressed in the restart button while holding the navigation button up and held it down until the second logo - just as that post said.
    But even after adjusting the order and timing I did that sort of thing - I never could get it to start up without still giving that error message.

This user has a memory card in his unit and I think he assumed (incorrectly it looks) that if the phone was running out of memory, it would use that card. But the unit doesn't appear to even recognize the card (something which I have seen on my own unit sometimes - which requires popping the card out and then putting it back in a few times until it sees it and sometimes a soft restart).
    Is there a way (for the future) to get the camera to save all images onto the card in there automatically?

He would just do a hard reset on the unit, but he wants the images that are on there.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this?
    Note that simply performing that type of reset will not by itself free up memory. It should only be used as a "safe mode" to allow you to delete (or move to the card) extra files (ie pictures).

You can tell whether you're performed the reset correctly in the following way:
    Go to the "prefs" application and view the power settings. If the "Beam Receive:" is off, then you've performed the reset correct (assuming you can get that far).

Now, assuming the Treo doesn't get fussy, you can delete or move files/applications to free up memory. And as far as photos go, you should make sure that the card is designated as the storage location for they are stored to the card (preferably, before the pictures are taken). Does that help?
  3.    #3  
    Ah, I (wrongly?) assumed that booting into "safe mode" (no extensions) would stop the low memory error message while it was in that mode.

When I tested it, I still got that error message and I didn't bother going in any further because this user password protects everything so much that I can't use any of his devices unless he is around and he rarely is around.
    I will wait until he is here and then try that process again.
    Quote Originally Posted by tcc View Post
    Note that simply performing that type of reset will not by itself free up memory. It should only be used as a "safe mode" to allow you to delete (or move to the card) extra files (ie pictures).

Go to the "prefs" application and view the power settings. If the "Beam Receive:" is off, then you've performed the reset correct (assuming you can get that far).

Now, assuming the Treo doesn't get fussy, you can delete or move files/applications to free up memory. And as far as photos go, you should make sure that the card is designated as the storage location for they are stored to the card (preferably, before the pictures are taken). Does that help?
    I have followed the up arrow reset procedure.
    All my calendar appts are deleted.
    I have made sure my browser cache is empty.
    SOOOO the minute I click on the APP button on my Treo 650,
    the infinite loop starts all over.
    This phone is pretty much stock.
    The MRS has filled it over-full with pictures/videos but the last one was maybe a week ago.
    Phone doesnt have a memory card.
    CANT SYNC it, get the low memory error (delete stuff and retry).

HELP ;-)
    Last edited by osonotme; 02/16/2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: subscribe thread
    Quote Originally Posted by osonotme View Post
    I have followed the up arrow reset procedure.
    All my calendar appts are deleted.
    I have made sure my browser cache is empty.
    SOOOO the minute I click on the APP button on my Treo 650,
    the infinite loop starts all over.
    This phone is pretty much stock.
    The MRS has filled it over-full with pictures/videos but the last one was maybe a week ago.
    Phone doesnt have a memory card.
    CANT SYNC it, get the low memory error (delete stuff and retry).

HELP ;-)
    Do you have any 3rd party applications on there that you can sacrifice and delete while in safe mode. Just one or two to free up space, then maybe you can hotsync to get those photos saved on the computer; then re-install the sacrificial applications. Good luck.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tcc View Post

How can I store pics & videos to card before the pictures are taken?
    Quote Originally Posted by CUB1 View Post
    How can I store pics & videos to card before the pictures are taken?
    on the camera screen in the lower right corner is a drop down box that says Palm, if you pull down that box you should see another "Palm" with a little card icon next to it, choose that, that is your card. In the Pics and Videos program, you can also create albums and name them. I have created an album and gave it my first name. So when I look in that pull down box on the camera screen, I also see my named album and I choose that to store photos in.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    You have to backup then perform a hard reset there is no other fix.
    A hard reset should be and normally is a last resort. Moving pictures to the card helps. In addition, a third party launcher that has the ability to move/launch applications from the card goes a long way. Also, a good locking program such as Resco Locker (not necessary for most people), or an application such as Reset Doctor that watches the saved preferences (also locks things), and maintaining about 3mb of free memory on the device helps.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    Do you have any 3rd party applications on there that you can sacrifice and delete while in safe mode. Just one or two to free up space, then maybe you can hotsync to get those photos saved on the computer; then re-install the sacrificial applications. Good luck.
    The phone will function in safe mode...letting me get to calendar, contacts, & the web browser...but it goes back into infinite loop the minute I hit the
    Application button. Also, when I push the green phone button, I get the prompt asking me if I want to turn the phone on but selecting yes does nothing.
    I'm more concerned about the App button problem since without getting to the desktop to delete apps & free space I can't perform a sync to back up my wife's pictures, videos, & contacts

-Osonotme
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    on the camera screen in the lower right corner is a drop down box that says Palm, if you pull down that box you should see another "Palm" with a little card icon next to it, choose that, that is your card. In the Pics and Videos program, you can also create albums and name them. I have created an album and gave it my first name. So when I look in that pull down box on the camera screen, I also see my named album and I choose that to store photos in.

Thanks Dollface....your instructions worked like a charm!!!
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by esmithbda View Post
    One of our users is getting an error message anytime he pushes any button on his Treo 650 (unlocked GSM version) such as the phone or menu button:
    "The free data storage space on the device is critically low. Delete applications or data."
    It then will usually (but not always) restart itself and start doing the error again on reboot, and then restart again - hence the infinite loop reference in the subject.

He started seeing this as he was taking pictures over the weekend and presumably ignored it and kept taking pictures. Now we can't delete the photos (since they seem to be what is causing the issue) since when we click on "Media" or the "Camera" icons, it shows us that error and then either goes back to the main menu screen, or it reboots.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this?
    -------------------------------
    Similar to your user, I filled up my Centro's memory banks by recording video until the phone shut down. I didn't expect this "critically low" error, as one would assume that the phone would be made to prevent someone from using memory that it needs to operate fully (a unfortunate design flaw in an otherwise cool phone).

But, anyways, to fix this without losing any important data, I basically did what the error message is telling us to do. The trick was figuring out WHERE to go to do it and WHAT to remove. These were my steps:
    1) Press the HOME button to get to the Main Menu.
    2) Press the "Menu" button (in the bottom right of keypad) to bring up the drop-down menu.
    3) Select "Delete" under the "App" menu.
    4) On the next screen, you'll see a list of apps you can delete. My advice - Start by removing games and freeware, if you have any. I deleted Chess, which was pre-installed and I never play, and a freeware app called InHand. This freed up about 500K of memory, I think. (By the way, make sure it says "Delete From: Phone" at the top of the screen.)

After these steps, the phone told me that it now has enough memory for extensions, and that I should reset. I did that by just pushing the Power button.

After that, I could see my video footage again, because apparently the "Pictures and Videos" application was one of the 'extensions' that it couldn't load before. Then, to free up even more phone memory, I went and bought a 2GB MicroSD card, and transfered my media to the card. Lesson learned.

Hope this is helpful to someone, and good luck!
    Last edited by roddy826; 08/23/2008 at 02:36 PM.
    Just had the same problem on my Treo 755p... Holding the up arrow upon restart also breaks the loop and allows the 755 to fully boot.
    >Macastat<

www.MacaSTAT.com
    From the Treo 90 to the Pre Plus