Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    TreoAlarm no longer updates the weather and gives the message " Your trial period is up please register at www.treoalarm.com". The website now requires you to pay $12.95, soon to be $18.95, in order to keep using it. It would have been nice to state up front that it was shareware instead putting it out as freeware then of just deactivating it all of a sudden and requiring payment for continued use. Or at least given some lead time warning before the conversion. A lot of developers seem to be playing this game lately.
    It has been posted on their site for awhile now:

Register TreoAlarm at Introductory Price

Public beta program is going to be officially closed May 1, 2005. Over 11,000 Treo users have downloaded and installed TreoAlarm. Thank you very much for all your comments, suggestions, and support!

As of May 1st, 2005, TreoAlarm is changing its status to a shareware application where costs of development, web hosting, support and maintenance are covered in part by user community.

Use this limited time opportunity to register TreoAlarm at introductory price of $12.95 (30% off the regular price $18.50).

All TreoAlarm users registered before May 7, 2005 will receive a free copy of Remote Lock utility ($6.95 value). Remote Lock helps you to protect personal information if your phone is lost or stolen send SMS message and Remote Lock will activate Treo security system.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3.    #3  
    That may be true, but how often do people visit a developers website, most will learn of the new status when they try to use the program after the fact. Now I will just have to decide if the programs benifits are worth the money.
    Each time there's an update. Like to read the changes.
    Treo Alarm has always had an expiration date in the about menu...you just weren't paying attention.....
    TreoAlarm still works for me. The developer did mention a while back that after the evaluation period, the weather updates will no longer work but the alarm functions will still work for free. It still wakes me up in the morning so I'm not complaining. I could get the weather elsewhere. Cheers.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr
    TreoAlarm still works for me. The developer did mention a while back that after the evaluation period, the weather updates will no longer work but the alarm functions will still work for free. It still wakes me up in the morning so I'm not complaining. I could get the weather elsewhere. Cheers.
    yeah I have a link to a animated satellite weather gif that I just click on. NICER. I don't like text weather. I need a visual.
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    yeah I have a link to a animated satellite weather gif that I just click on. NICER. I don't like text weather. I need a visual.
    Want to share the link?
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    949 Global Posts
    Perhaps it was slightly misleading the way it was done. I too, used it in beta just to find out I would have to pay to continue using it. It's a pretty good program, but overpriced for an alarm clock. I can get the weather from a lot of other places.

So is the alarm function considered free? If so, I'll use it for that. If not, I won't use it at all.
    Generally, if you use something in beta it is understood there will be charge once it is officially released. Plus, I have to say that is baffles me that people complain about paying for an application that is useful to them. If you don't want to pay, don't use it. Try to find a multiple setting alarm clock that gives current weather plus forecast for less than $20. Then factor in that you can take it with you anywhere. Do people expect developers to "donate" their time developing software and not get anything in return. For the most part, when people donate time to charity, they figure out how that time can be deducted from taxes or something. Maybe that's what we need to ask developers to do.

In this case, for a few months now, people have been giving ideas and have criticized the product just to see that the developer has added the features asked for. Now, many of those same people have wondered why there is now a charge... (There has been more than one thread about this.)

Sorry for the rant, maybe I have missed something. It just baffles me.
    Last edited by JohnH59; 05/10/2005 at 10:19 PM.
    Well, it did have an expiration date on the About screen...

Not that that should be any kind of clue to anyone.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottjb
    So is the alarm function considered free? If so, I'll use it for that. If not, I won't use it at all.
    Yes...in the sense that you can still use it for that without registering.
    Global Posts
    949 Global Posts
    I certainly don't mind paying for software as I have purchased applications like Snapper, Xiino and others.. I also agree developers are entitled to make a living. It just comes down to what is worth the price for each person.

However, I have been in beta programs where the testers who gave input, and helped make the program a good one, were either given a discount or not charged at all. Obviously this is up to the developers or vendors.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    Generally, if you use something in beta it is understood there will be charge once it is officially released. ...Sorry for the rant, maybe I have missed something. It just baffles me.
    Actually in most "real" beta programs, there is no charge for continuing to use the BETA version of the software you have been testing for the developer.

The whole idea behind a true beta test program is to give out early versions of the program for people to test, report bugs, and offer suggestions for improvement. Now, once the bugs are worked out and the final version is released, you certainly have to pay for the final release if you want it, but, gennerally, one gets to keep the BETA program. In a sense, that was the deal, you get the BETA program and the developer gets "free" testing, bug reporting and consumer imput. I have never seen a TRUE beta program where the BETA program itself had a timer that kicked in and then required you to pay to keep using the supposidly beta version.

What was actually going on here, it appears, was a slightly sneeky way of getting the program on a lot of peoples Treos, getting them so used to it that they would just pay to keep it. It is a variation on the "try a puppy" ploy used by salesmen for years, the theory being that once you have something in your house for a while for a free "trial" period (puppy, water cooler, vacume cleaner) that you get used to it, kind of like a habit, so you just pay to keep it, even if you would not have paid for it in the first place.

IMO they should not have stated that this was a BETA program for people to test with all that implies. They should have been more clearly upfront and said this was a TRIAL program for which you would be charged at a later date if you wanted to keep on using it.

That being said, if you don't like what they did, don't buy the program. I like the alarm function and will keep on using it. The weather update isnt worth that much to me since i get what TA gives plus radar at:

http://mobile.wunderground.com

After i put in my zip code, i bookmarked that page and hot-keyed it, so that a press of the button "f" (forecast) brings me right to the weather faster than TA usually updated.
    Last edited by midmofan; 05/11/2005 at 10:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Actually in most "real" beta programs, there is no charge for continuing to use the BETA version of the software you have been testing for the developer.

The whole idea behind a true beta test program is to give out early versions of the program for people to test, report bugs, and offer suggestions for improvement. Now, once the bugs are worked out and the final version is released, you certainly have to pay for the final release if you want it, but, gennerally, one gets to keep the BETA program. In a sense, that was the deal, you get the BETA program and the developer gets "free" testing, bug reporting and consumer imput. I have never seen a TRUE beta program where the BETA program itself had a timer that kicked in and then required you to pay to keep using the supposidly beta version.
    You should Beta for Microsoft then. I beta testing several Office suites, and they all expired at a set time.

i still love the site a user made here...dunno whom

http://www.hiddentreasurehosting.com/weather

EDIT: MAN! The wunderground site rocks! I get my Canadian weather plus in metric!!! Amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    You should Beta for Microsoft then. I beta testing several Office suites, and they all expired at a set time.
    Then I would say they are not offering a true Beta test program as most people view it. Why bother testing if you get nothing out of it in the long run.

I have beta-tested for several companies, and always got the beta programs for free, not that you would always want them. I have had several beta-games crash my system something awful! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    i still love the site a user made here...dunno whom

http://www.hiddentreasurehosting.com/weather

EDIT: MAN! The wunderground site rocks! I get my Canadian weather plus in metric!!! Amazing
    Somebody on here in another thread is the one that first posted about the wunderground site, its great.
    Then I would say they are not offering a true Beta test program as most people view it. Why bother testing if you get nothing out of it in the long run.

I have beta-tested for several companies, and always got the beta programs for free, not that you would always want them. I have had several beta-games crash my system something awful! lol
    Now, I can't remember if the beta programs would just cease to run, or if you could no longer save your documents. Whatever the case, the beta would expire on a set date (which was given to you when you'd sign up.) However, they did offer Office to me at a lower price, (and at an earlier release date), once the beta program was over.

Somebody on here in another thread is the one that first posted about the wunderground site, its great.
    well then thanks to that user...this site is truly amazing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast