Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I could see this argument/discussion coming as soon as I got my Treo in January. The first two apps I found and really dug were Treo Alarm and DA. Both were free, simple, and did exacvtly what they promised. Outstanding.

TreoAlram was always upfront (menus, website, forums) that it was in beta testing. The developer benefitted from getting free input for use building a better application which would be marketed. beta testers got tyhe use of a free damn near perfect appliaction that a gret number of people, I suspect, are gladly paying $20 for now.

Beta testing is a great characteristic of software. Ever buy a new car and ask yourself, "wouldn't it be better if the shifter were closer to the armrest" or "Why is fuel tank release lever so hard to get to with the door closed?" I mean little things that add up to a less than stellar satisfaction level. While auto companpies cannot "beta" cars the same way software writers do, wouldn't it be nice. Each car's "first" strett version would probably look more like the "second" model of the car (i.e., the modle that took into account the first adopters' suggestions and criticisms). The other beauty of beta testing is that the only people who deal with routine bugs are the beta testers who trade the bug hassels for free use. Ideally, once the real version hist the street, paying customers are not idsappointed and the deveoper gets rewareded for the effort.

A whole lot of Plam apps come and go isuing beta testing on shareware releases. The thing is, you quicly realize that the software is not what you wanted or doesn't measure up so you delete it. I doubt many people that downloaded TreoAlram deleted it. They you get used to it. I never forgoe Seinfeld reruns to catch the wether but i sure check the weather a lot on Treo Alarm.

Conclusion:
    You had the free use of a great product for for some time.
    This free use led to a number of great improvements to a solid app.
    Now you have to pay for it if you want to keep it.
    So, if you want it: (1) cheerfuly pay up; (2) build your own app that does the same things.
    ^in all honesty i dont mind paying and in fact i would pay, its a great simple app for weather purposes...but there are two reasons why i wont pay for treoalarm

1. Subscription; when i buy a program I'm buying it, not renting it (had to suck it up for verichat)
    2. 18.95 (12.95 now)...for an app that makes device an alarm clock and checks your weather. I'm sorry but that is a little inflated for the things it does. 10.00 would have been a more justified price

Man DA is a lifesaver for me...if i used Rogers' 411, its 1.25 to 1.50 per use (it keeps going up)
    ^ And it would be another thing if there was NOTHING out there that would easity get weather updates, but there are several options that work just as well as TA and are free.

Another neat wunderground thing. My main use is for the local weather in my town and that is what i have hotkeyed. But you can also have a page set for any state you want and it gives you all the cities with minimal info and links to get the full page. I use that one a lot as well when travelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Actually in most "real" beta programs, there is no charge for continuing to use the BETA version of the software you have been testing for the developer.

The whole idea behind a true beta test program is to give out early versions of the program for people to test, report bugs, and offer suggestions for improvement. Now, once the bugs are worked out and the final version is released, you certainly have to pay for the final release if you want it, but, gennerally, one gets to keep the BETA program. In a sense, that was the deal, you get the BETA program and the developer gets "free" testing, bug reporting and consumer imput. I have never seen a TRUE beta program where the BETA program itself had a timer that kicked in and then required you to pay to keep using the supposidly beta version.

What was actually going on here, it appears, was a slightly sneeky way of getting the program on a lot of peoples Treos, getting them so used to it that they would just pay to keep it. It is a variation on the "try a puppy" ploy used by salesmen for years, the theory being that once you have something in your house for a while for a free "trial" period (puppy, water cooler, vacume cleaner) that you get used to it, kind of like a habit, so you just pay to keep it, even if you would not have paid for it in the first place.

IMO they should not have stated that this was a BETA program for people to test with all that implies. They should have been more clearly upfront and said this was a TRIAL program for which you would be charged at a later date if you wanted to keep on using it.

That being said, if you don't like what they did, don't buy the program. I like the alarm function and will keep on using it. The weather update isnt worth that much to me since i get what TA gives plus radar at:

http://mobile.wunderground.com

After i put in my zip code, i bookmarked that page and hot-keyed it, so that a press of the button "f" (forecast) brings me right to the weather faster than TA usually updated.

I can't argue with that at all. A TRIAL statement would have been much better statement. I have BETA'd numerous programs in the past and you are right, I generally got to keep the last BETA. If I wanted the actual release there was a small fee (small compared the actual price).

You are 100% correct. I stand corrected in my earlier statements. I did not seperate BETA from TRIAL.
    Last edited by JohnH59; 05/11/2005 at 03:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    ^ And it would be another thing if there was NOTHING out there that would easity get weather updates, but there are several options that work just as well as TA and are free.

Another neat wunderground thing. My main use is for the local weather in my town and that is what i have hotkeyed. But you can also have a page set for any state you want and it gives you all the cities with minimal info and links to get the full page. I use that one a lot as well when travelling.
    I was also going to say that, but couldnt figure out how to do so properly

i dont need that, but i do have it bookmarked in my bookmarks
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    1. Subscription; when i buy a program I'm buying it, not renting it (had to suck it up for verichat)
    Hey Hofo, just to clarify, what do you mean by subscription? I know the author kicked around that idea, but the current scheme looks to be straightforward purchase (with 1 year upgrades).

Did I miss something?
    http://www.treoalarm.com/register.html

okay I may have read it wrong "All registered users are provided with one year of free upgrades and e-mail support." But it could mean after 1yr , no more weather as what is happening now, or after 1 year you would not be able to get the new program which may be like losing the updates for the weather

if im wrong....my bad
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I registered last night, because the program is totally worth $12.95 to me. Now, if it's $12.95 a *year*, I'm not so sure. I guess I'll find out in a year...

Regarding the change from public beta to shareware... As a software developer, I totally support every developer's right to make as much money as market conditions allow... However, for most platforms, the free and open source software community rivals the shareware/commercialware software community in terms of the amount of good programs available, and for Palm OS, that's just not the case. As soon as a good program is out there, and people are using it, it becomes shareware/commercialware. Again, that's fine, and the developers deserve whatever people are willing to pay, but it's disappointing, because if there was more free and open source stuff out there, maybe more people would get involved in development, and there'd be more software options for end users.

But, more power to the author(s)... They have a nice little program that does its job well, and I hope they make a few bucks for their efforts.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonycpsu
    I registered last night, because the program is totally worth $12.95 to me. Now, if it's $12.95 a *year*, I'm not so sure. I guess I'll find out in a year...
    There is NO subscription. One year of free upgrades and support means that new versions of TreoAlarm will be available without charge and weather server will be maintained (and updated if necessary) for at least one year.

We planned to have a subscription plan at the beginning but most of the users disliked the idea. At the same time, there is over 1 mln Treo users in the world and TreoAlarm can sustain itself by improving the app and adding new users.

BTW, if you think that the price is too high then you can easily get a free registration. Details are at the bottom of the page:
    Quote Originally Posted by roustk
    BTW, if you think that the price is too high then you can easily get a free registration. Details are at the bottom of the page:
    Wow, this is new! hmmmm....
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    [QUOTE=roustk]There is NO subscription. One year of free upgrades and support means that new versions of TreoAlarm will be available without charge and weather server will be maintained (and updated if necessary) for at least one year.

This statement is a contradiction. No subscription, but after a year you do not guarantee that the weather server will be maintained...meaning if we want to have weather and the alarm, we need to pay yearly...sounds like what I do with my magazines...hey wait a minute...that is a subscription.

Please clarify this as I hope I am wrong…if you can tell me that that I pay for the software once (like most apps) and use it as long as I want, but in order to get any NEW features ADDED to the software after one year I pay that is GREAT and I welcome that. If, on the other hand, I have to pay every year in order for the server to be updated/upgraded or I won’t get weather any longer then it is what it is....a subscription service.
    I wish I had a dime for every dime I have
    Quote Originally Posted by markyoung04
    This statement is a contradiction. No subscription, but after a year you do not guarantee that the weather server will be maintained...meaning if we want to have weather and the alarm, we need to pay yearly...sounds like what I do with my magazines...hey wait a minute...that is a subscription.
    It is guaranteed to every user. Let's say someone registered today and then there is another person registered six months later. It means that the first registered user now has at least 18 months of service guaranteed.

If you know a better way to do it, please share it with us.
    Global Posts
    949 Global Posts
    So, are you saying that every user will have guaranteed service from the weather server until 12 months from the last purchase?
    Quote Originally Posted by scottjb
    So, are you saying that every user will have guaranteed service from the weather server until 12 months from the last purchase?
    Right. And I am sure it will be more than 12 months... I am using TreoAlarm myself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12