1.    #1  
    I bought a Treo 600 on eBay a few months ago. The phone worked fine until about two weeks ago, when it started to get very poor reception, and dropping calls. When answering a call the phone will freeze for a few seconds and drop the call. I took it to a sprint store and they told me the phone failed their reception test (whatever that means, further clarification was not provided). Here comes the kicker... since I bough it from someone else, I have no warranty and they don't fix hardware problems. So my question is where can I get it fix if possible or buy the necessary parts to fix it myself? Also has anyone experienced a similar problem?

There was an earlier thread by nonesuch with similar problems and people concluded it was a battery problem. I don't think it is a battery problem since the batteries last a very long time, and the phone experiences the same problem while connected to a power source, but I am open to suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by rene111
    I bought a Treo 600 on eBay a few months ago. The phone worked fine until about two weeks ago, when it started to get very poor reception, and dropping calls. When answering a call the phone will freeze for a few seconds and drop the call. I took it to a sprint store and they told me the phone failed their reception test (whatever that means, further clarification was not provided). Here comes the kicker... since I bough it from someone else, I have no warranty and they don't fix hardware problems. So my question is where can I get it fix if possible or buy the necessary parts to fix it myself? Also has anyone experienced a similar problem?

There was an earlier thread by nonesuch with similar problems and people concluded it was a battery problem. I don't think it is a battery problem since the batteries last a very long time, and the phone experiences the same problem while connected to a power source, but I am open to suggestions.
    I was going to say battery problem, but you don't have all the symptoms

If it is a sprint phone, you might be able to get the lockline insurance. You may be able to pay the deductible for the replacement. Check on the guidelines for this.
    What you are suffering with your phone is exactly what I suffered about 8 months ago. Since I purchased it from Palm originally (2nd phone), Sprint covered it. It is now having a problem with battery life, so I guess I'll replacing the battery. The 650 is experiencing some issues and that's what I really want to upgrade to.

Ben
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    This sounds similar to what just started happening to my 600 a couple of days ago. I hear a fair amount of static. I'm suddenly dropping calls where I once had great reception and call quality. When I try to dial off my recent call list, the call drops immediately and just goes back to the main phone screen. I have also been getting a lot of soft resets, which is another new development. No new software (that I know of!) has been installed lately.

My 600 is about 18 months old and has been absolutely great. Now I'm afraid it's hit some kind of limit and is on a downward spiral. Have others seen their 600s suddenly decline like this? BTW, I have the Sprint insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by SANMAN
    This sounds similar to what just started happening to my 600 a couple of days ago. I hear a fair amount of static. I'm suddenly dropping calls where I once had great reception and call quality. When I try to dial off my recent call list, the call drops immediately and just goes back to the main phone screen. I have also been getting a lot of soft resets, which is another new development. No new software (that I know of!) has been installed lately.

My 600 is about 18 months old and has been absolutely great. Now I'm afraid it's hit some kind of limit and is on a downward spiral. Have others seen their 600s suddenly decline like this? BTW, I have the Sprint insurance.
    Mine was dropping calls left and right...then on the last day I could stand it, the phone would hang up after 2 seconds (really pissed off my friends).

If you are having this problem (and you see plenty of bars of signal strength) and you cant get it fixed by sprint/palm, then replace the battery. It cost me $24 with shipping off ebay. My 'kit' came with the battery, torx screwdriver and instructions )

Here is a link to his other auctions (and it looks like he has more of those kits.)
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZresurs2
    If you've got the insurance, then they'll replace the phone so don't delay
    i've been having the same problems lately and thought it might be the battery too since it was at like 60% or something like that. it would ring and i couldn't pick up and i'd make an outgoing call and it'd go for about 6 secs and drop out and say no service but a second later it'd go back to 3 bars. i called customer solutions and all they told me was you can get credit for dropped calls, before my call dropped out by the way. i even called them back to see if what my options where to fix this and she was like "uummmm" you can get credit for your dropped calls, morons. i'm goin to the store probably today or tomorrow to see what i can do but i'm already sure they won't know what the hell they're doin and give me the card to the replacement people, thanks in advice sprint.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Well, I took it to a local Sprint store and they told me they would run an "HP" test on it -- whatever that is. Supposedly tests its reception capabilities. They told me it passed the test and they couldn't find anything software related in the error logs (which I forgot to check myself). They did do a PRL update, as I hadn't updated PRL since I bought it 18 months ago. I was also thinking my headset might be causing some kind of short, as I was hearing static (which they also noticed). Anyway, it seems to be better now. I'll be watching closely to see if this is just a dead cat bounce.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    If the phone is still under warranty, it shouldn't matter who owns it or how they bought it. I bought a Treo 600 second hand, had the same problem with it, took it to my Sprint store where it failed the HP test and, they gave me a new one, no questions asked.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    So the PRL update may have had some positive effect, but the phone now seems to be resetting an inordinate amount (as in > 0). When I do a ##377, I see resets caused by "Phone" as well as "Mail" and "Agendus". Since it's not one app, I still think there is something wrong with my 600. I guess I'll have to go into obnoxious mode and insist that Sprint replace it via insurance.
    How long does yours last on a charge?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve