1.    #1  
    I'm using Softick's Card Export to read/write to/from my SD card inside my Treo via USB. Shows up as a disk, is navigable, looks great. But I can't write to it. Says it's read only. Triple-checked the switch on the card, isn't locked, checked (Windows) properties for disk, no option to write-protect... can't find anything else. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks...
    I need to know the answer to this as well. I cannot do anything on the card when it's in my card reader...only when I have it in the Treo. Anyone have any experience with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by h2m3
    I'm using Softick's Card Export to read/write to/from my SD card inside my Treo via USB. Shows up as a disk, is navigable, looks great. But I can't write to it. Says it's read only. Triple-checked the switch on the card, isn't locked, checked (Windows) properties for disk, no option to write-protect... can't find anything else. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks...

Do you have a card reader? Does it show locked there? I suspect a glitch in that Card Export Software.

Did you try reformatting the card with your Treo?
  4. amf
    No offense meant but you may be using a cracked/patched version of the app.

Take a look at this (bottom of page):

http://softick.com/faq.php?&cat=1&prod=4#52
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdynsty25
    I need to know the answer to this as well. I cannot do anything on the card when it's in my card reader...only when I have it in the Treo. Anyone have any experience with this?
    I have a SanDisk 8n1 card reader. I have no problem using Windows Explorer to read and write to my SD cards. (SanDisk branded.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Good catch, amf!!
    I'm just using the built in reader on my Printer. It's worked before with other SD device cards (cameras, etc.) so I figured it would work fine on this one. So basically it's just a regular card reader, but it won't allow me to do anything with the files.

I should have specified that I'm not using that Softick software, I'm just trying to create and delete folders on my SD card...via my computer. I'm thinking the Treo has locked it down somehow. I just didn't want to start another thread since this was KIND of what I was looking for. I figured the error might be the same issue.
  8.    #8  
    I found my problem to be that I was using a patched version of the software. Purchasing it solved the problem...
    Hi. Sorry to revisit this topic, but I'm just now having this problem, and haven't been able to locate a solution...

I just bought a D-Link USB 2.0 Multi Card Reader and am experiencing the same problem. I can write/delete just fine to/from my card using the Treo itself, but when I try to drag and drop to the card on my PC using Windows Explorer, I'm told that my card is write-protected, even though the switch on the card clearly indicates that it is not. I can't see where software fits into this picture (though a number of you keep mentioning Softclick) - shouldn't a drag and drop work just fine?

Should I exchange my card reader for a different one? Or am I missing something else here?

Thanks!

Steve
    Sorry to bump this, but if no one knows a solution, I'll have to exchange my card reader for a different one before my 30 days expires at the store. :-)

Thanks in advance!
    There's a tiny lock switch on the side of the SD card. Check yours to make sure it's not being pushed into the lock position when you insert it into the card reader.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Flow
    Sorry to bump this, but if no one knows a solution, I'll have to exchange my card reader for a different one before my 30 days expires at the store. :-)

Thanks in advance!
    Have you tried Card Export? It turns your Treo into a SD Card reader. Eliminates the need to carry a seperate SD card reader around with you.

Free trial. Give it a shot.
    To shneor: "...even though the switch on the card clearly indicates that it is not." Thanks anyway, though. :-)

To ColKurtz: Not a bad idea! Although, I want to be able to transfer to the card as fast as possible (movies, etc.). Wouldn't using the Treo as a card reader (with the only method of transfer then being HotSync) slow this process down tremendously?

I should also add that the card reader worked fine with a 512 card that I bought (same brand: SanDisk) and that this is the second 1 gig card I've tried with the exact same problem (so it's unlikely that two 1 gig cards were both defective).

Any other thoughts? Should I just return the reader and try another brand?

Thanks,

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Flow
    To ColKurtz: Not a bad idea! Although, I want to be able to transfer to the card as fast as possible (movies, etc.). Wouldn't using the Treo as a card reader (with the only method of transfer then being HotSync) slow this process down tremendously?
    Yes, the Treo is USB 1.1 IIRC, so if speed is that critical to you then you probably want to stick to a USB2.0 reader. I transfer 200-300MB in podcasts to my Treo almost every day using Card Export and I don't find it a hassle at all. Takes maybe 5 mins. I just start the sync as I finish up in the morning --get my wallet, look for my keys, etc -- and it's usually done by the time I'm ready.

I should also add that the card reader worked fine with a 512 card that I bought (same brand: SanDisk) and that this is the second 1 gig card I've tried with the exact same problem (so it's unlikely that two 1 gig cards were both defective).

Any other thoughts? Should I just return the reader and try another brand?
    Yes, I would try another brand. Get it from Circuit City or Best Buy or someone with a no-questions-asked return policy. There are numerous posts with issues on SD cards and very little consensus about what works and what doesn't. Trial and error, unfortunately.
    Thanks so much for your input! VERY much appreciated.

Steve
    I thought I didn't have anything to add to this thread but I think I do.

I just purchased a 2 gb SD card and it appears that that's what you guys have been talking about.

Yes, the 2 GB card are not fully supported in all card readers as I found out the hard way.

I have a card reader in my Epson printer CX6600 pretty new model, and I put the card in but it refused to be accessed by my XP computer.

I used my old SanDisk reader and it worked fine (it is a SanDisk 2 gb Ultra II) my other hi-speed usb 2.0 card reader worked.

It does appear that some card readers are not up to reading the newer 2 GB size and possibly the faster cards such as the Ultra II.

The card most likely are not defective. Call the manufacture of the card reader and ask if their reader can read a 2 GB card, chances are they will tell you no.

I asked most people at TreoCentral if I would have any problem with the 2 GB cards and most said no, but there are a few quirks here and there.

Call tech support for your card reader to verifiy that it can read the 2 GB, in my case Epson said NO.

Hope this helps.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Thanks rlanza1054. Just exchanged for a new SanDisk 5-in-1, which I'll be trying out later tonight. Wish me luck!

Steve
    Problem solved! New card reader works perfectly. Thanks again.

Steve