Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Gerald from Normsoft support emailed me today that DRM support will be available by the end of the month!
    Does this mean that all my illegally downloaded MP3's won't play anymore? Gosh, I hope not!!!!

that is the best thing I've heard this week. I have so many legally downloaded files
    What is DRM
    Digital Rights Management
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Did he mention what format? I would like to play WMA protected files on my Treo
    And exactly why is this a desirable feature?
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    You could subscribe to Napster-To-GO or the new Yahoo Music Unlimited and have your treo be able to play those files (from an SD card)
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisW
    You could subscribe to Napster-To-GO or the new Yahoo Music Unlimited and have your treo be able to play those files (from an SD card)
    Why couldn't you do this without DRM installed?
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    because it won't work today
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    What kind of DRM is it? Subscription or download? My bet would be download, and not subscription (so Napster to go will still be a no-go).
    Groovy, though I'm not familair with the technology...anything to push the envelope! Now if PocketTunes could support AAC music files...
    ###
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    Groovy, though I'm not familair with the technology...anything to push the envelope! Now if PocketTunes could support AAC music files...
    ###
    Get familiar with it, it's anything but "pushing the envelope"

The day I pay for compressed music locked to a device won't come anytime soon, I'd rather buy a CD and make my own MP3's or WAV's like I've done all along. I've never understood why anybody would actually pay Itunes for compressed garbage even at 99 cents a song..full bitrate or nothing for me, I rarely ever convert to MP3 and my 40GB ipod is all wav files and I can use them on *any* device I choose.
    Quote Originally Posted by timexx8
    Get familiar with it, it's anything but "pushing the envelope"

The day I pay for compressed music locked to a device won't come anytime soon, I'd rather buy a CD and make my own MP3's or WAV's like I've done all along. I've never understood why anybody would actually pay Itunes for compressed garbage even at 99 cents a song..full bitrate or nothing for me, I rarely ever convert to MP3 and my 40GB ipod is all wav files and I can use them on *any* device I choose.

thats great and all, but that is why there are choices. I love the thought of having unlimited music for $5/month. I do, however, prefer music that is encoded at 192kbs or above. That is the minimum that music sounds good IMO.
    I am still waiting for AAC support! Come on, Gerald!

It's enough of a pain in the *** to fill a 1 gb SD card without DRM. I could only imagine how it will work with Napster or Yahoo (more like Boohoo!)
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    Why couldn't you do this without DRM installed?
    You can only play content that has DRM on approved players or software which license the technology to be able to read those files.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by viziblenoize
    Gerald from Normsoft support emailed me today that DRM support will be available by the end of the month!
    Any update on this?
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    If ever it's implemented, I hope its an optional plug-in. Those of us who aren't using pay as you go services aren't interesting in installing policing software.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by santa
    Any update on this?
    NormSoft demo'd the new version of Pocket Tunes Deluxe with support for the subscription music services at the Handango Partner Summit 2005 about 10 days ago. The NormSoft representative said the new version should be ready in July (this month). To read more and see a screenshot click here.
    Neat, thanks for the info.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast