1.    #1  
    I've spent HOURS reading through all the mapping and gps threads on here, but have determined that a bluetooth gps is not for me, as I don't like what I'm reading about the usage of a bluetooth headset while driving and using the map programs.

So... my question is as the subject says... has anyone for a good wired gps that will work on BOTH the 650 and a pc via an adapter for the cable or something?

I am very tempted to just buy one for the 650, but I know I'll be kicking myself sometime, wishing that I had gotten one that would work on both. I just prefer not to be limited.
    Just simple buy any wired GPS mouse, with proper cable and rock! Like me. I use MapSonic, but I'm in Europe. You can buy 2 different cable (for Treo and USB or COM for PC/notebook) and use with same GPS mouse(receiver) Also wired GPS receivers is not expensive! It's a big plus! And don't wary about battery charge.
    All wired GPS receiver have one type connector standard like PS2 and you can easy buy adapters for use with different devices one GPS receiver.
    If you have any question - please ask, but sorry for my English
    Last edited by 3Daemon; 05/08/2005 at 04:31 PM.
    I'm so happy with Treo650GSM! WBR! 3Daemon
    Go to http://www.seidioonline.com. They have a car kit for the Treo 650 that you can also use with a wired GPS. I'm not sure what brands of wired GPS they support, but I know you can buy the GPS unit with the kit.

It's a start....

Ken
    You also may want to ask in the Geocaching Unit and Software forum. Lots of knowledgable people there and very helpful.
    I'm using the Hollux Bluetooth GPS and Mapopolis for the Treo 650 and it's working nice. There are some glitches but I got it worked out. It's accurate and very handy indeed. You can get the bluetooth on ebay for less than $90 S/H included.
    This is not exactly the same chat thread, but I recently bought my wife a Tom Tom GPS that is used with the Palm Tungsten T5. Any idea whether it will work with the 650 as well. One thing is for certain its that it requires a big media card to hold the maps (I live in Europe as well) Just curious

Robbo

Quote Originally Posted by 3Daemon
    Just simple buy any wired GPS mouse, with proper cable and rock! Like me. I use MapSonic, but I'm in Europe. You can buy 2 different cable (for Treo and USB or COM for PC/notebook) and use with same GPS mouse(receiver) Also wired GPS receivers is not expensive! It's a big plus! And don't wary about battery charge.
    All wired GPS receiver have one type connector standard like PS2 and you can easy buy adapters for use with different devices one GPS receiver.
    If you have any question - please ask, but sorry for my English
    Tomtom does support Treo 650 and if you check the web site, you'll find an update for Treo 650. I'm trying to buy the software to test it out. I have a demo version but without the maps so I couldn't test it out for sure but it does load quicker than Mapopolis and the interface is nicer.

I agree that the maps will take many SD cards to take them with you. For Mapopolis, I can get most of them in a 1GB SD Card.
  8.    #8  
    3Daemon, you say you use a mapsonic? I'll have to do some research on that one. Did you research any others before deciding on that one? That's what I'm looking for, is suggestions as to which brand or model is better than others. There's tons of info on this site about the bluetooth models, but not the wired models.

Sputnik57, Thank you. I'll have to browse the forums over there to get some opinions.

kenjancef, I have been to seidioonline, but I use a hard case for my treo and have made my own custom holder in my truck, so one of those car kits is out for me. Thanks for the suggestion though.

So what I was/am really looking for, as I mentioned above to 3Daemon, is to find out if anyone out there has used various makes and models of wired gpses. Which one seem to perform better, if at all. And which ones have universal cables with adapters like what 3Daemon mentioned.