1.    #1  
    This is the second time in a week it looks like my T650 is losing it's identity. All of my apps and data are still on the Treo but all of my registration information is gone for my apps. This happened a week ago and when I did a hotsync it acted like it was a new phone and restored all of my data from the previous backup. This was OK except that my previous backup was from about 3 days previous so I lost some data.

Is there a way to find out what the Treo thinks my Palm username is and to re-enter it?

Also, I'm not positive but I believe this may be caused by one of the Sprint PCS vision updates that seem to happen every couple of days.

Thanks for any help.
    Phil
    It's the new memory system... random nonsense.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by docmaster
    OK. Is there a solution? Is this worse on some phones than others? Should I try to get a replacement, although I can imagine the hassles I would have trying to get a replacement for something that happens once a week. I'm sure Sprint's response would be "remove all of your 3rd party apps."

Guess I could use backup buddy or something that does frequent backups to my SD card.
    You're suffering from corruption in the Saved Preferences database. You might like to install one of the many VFS backup utilities so that you can simply restore that file from your SD card if/when it happens again.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Resets where the "saved prefences" file gets lost are not uncommon.

What you can do...

Keep a regular backup on your SD card
    When this occurs use your backup app(I highlt recommend "backupbuddy vfs pro") to restore that one file. (saved prefs)

The saved preferences file is where most apps store preference settings and registration information.

for more info search the forums. Now that you have some more precise terms to use you'll find a few threads on this.
    Last edited by dutchtrumpet; 05/08/2005 at 10:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by philipgood
    Is this worse on some phones than others?
    Several of us have reported a similar problem since installing the beta 1.23 GSM firmware, but this is the first time I've heard it mentioned on an unmodified 650, and a Sprint one at that.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Very common on the sprint phones according to posts here at TC

Personally it used to happen to me oten but onlt twice since the FW upgrade
    Could be worse, at least your Treo doesn't think it's a Sidekick.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Could be worse, at least your Treo doesn't think it's a Sidekick.
    speaking of sidekicks....
    Quote Originally Posted by docmaster

I think blaming it on NVFS is random nonsense. I have a Sprint phone, and this has happened to me exacty once in the several months I've had the 650.

Saved Preferences is a file, just like any other file. It gets corrupted when some application writes bad data to it. While it's possible the OS or some built in app is doing this, it is most likely one of your third party apps that is causing the problem.

To figure out which, you'll have to remove one at a time until the problem goes away.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    I think blaming it on NVFS is random nonsense. I have a Sprint phone, and this has happened to me exacty once in the several months I've had the 650.

Saved Preferences is a file, just like any other file. It gets corrupted when some application writes bad data to it. While it's possible the OS or some built in app is doing this, it is most likely one of your third party apps that is causing the problem.

To figure out which, you'll have to remove one at a time until the problem goes away.
    Well, I don't have any kind of scientific method of proof but I'm fairly convinced it is the Sprint PCS Vision update that seems to be occuring frequently. The lost identity always "occurs" in the morning when I turn my phone on first thing, implying something has happened while the phone is unattended at night. Gremlins maybe?

There is the possibility that this update is conflicting with a third party I have installed, which may be the reason for the continued update/corruption cycle.

Phil
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    This also happened on my unmodded GSM 650, while I do B/U using BUMAN nightly, I had to go all the way back to 4/30 to find a good saved pref. This has probably been happening since 5/1 but I was using my JAM and only switched back to the 650 on 5/8. Almost drove me nuts as I lost registration in eWallet & Agendus mail SSL, the funny thing was that Agendus itself was running fine, though the device id was showing up as 5 "*'s".
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb

Randomness is Randomness.

Randomness is the very essence... the heart of the cause of hundreds of problems that we've been hearing about.

Whether it be the allocation of the memory where it's needed,
    or the complete lack of beta testing in a lab of how the memory operates.

... I don't know..

The issues are Random.
    The issues come and go, often by themselves.

One users camera works great... another user's camera does strange things for 2 weeks and then seems to fix itself.

While another users whole unit crashes repeatedly with NO ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE installed and then goes back to normal in a day or three.

While....

You got a better explanation for this?

I'm currently running V1.23 with only stock firmware running, nothing else, it shows that I have 2.1M of 22.4M of memory available... soft resets have no effect...

What would you suggest is that about?

They didn't beta test ANYTHING on this unit much less the effects of the new memory system..

Sales of the new 650 are brisk at P1 right now and they couldn't care less what you and I are going through.

Wait and watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by philipgood
    This is the second time in a week it looks like my T650 is losing it's identity. All of my apps and data are still on the Treo but all of my registration information is gone for my apps. This happened a week ago and when I did a hotsync it acted like it was a new phone and restored all of my data from the previous backup. This was OK except that my previous backup was from about 3 days previous so I lost some data.

Is there a way to find out what the Treo thinks my Palm username is and to re-enter it?

Also, I'm not positive but I believe this may be caused by one of the Sprint PCS vision updates that seem to happen every couple of days.

Thanks for any help.
    Phil
    This is actually caused by you loosing your 'Unsaved Preferences' database. This is where your HotSync ID is kept. When you loose your HotSync ID, 99% of the 3rd party applications will become unlicensed.

I can say with certainty, that the majority of the time when you loose your Unsaved Preferences database, it can be tracked back to users having the "Enable Local Network Time" option enabled. This setting causes many strange and unexpected failures especially for Sprint customers. (I have produced a solution for the automatic setting of the Treo's clock based on Network Time Servers on the internet.)

Hope this helps....

Jeff