Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, first off let me say, Yes, I realize this has been done many times before. But, I decided to make a new thread for a few reasons:
    1. Most of the old threads are just that Old, and therefore much of the info is potentially outdated.
    2. The last thread of this nature was locked because of fighting.
    3. I was hoping for a little more than the usuall listing of app. names that you like.

So, here we go:

Here are a few of the FREE apps that I couldn't do without on my Treo:
    -Please list yours as well.
    -Links are always great.
    -Most importantly please, What do they do? and why do you like them so much?

*The app that Must be at the top of the list is KeyCaps650
    It literally doubles my typing speed on the Treo 650. It is quite customizable, but with my settings it gives me a capital letter if I hit the key twice within 0.25 seconds, and the alt character if I hold the key for 0.20seconds. Meaning:
    h = h
    hh= H
    h(hold) = $
    You will never use your shift or tab keys again. When I first heard about it I didn't really think it sounded that usefull but now I can't even type without it. Trust me, is you are not using KeyCaps650 install it today.

*Next in order for me is Profiles
    A very simplified version of what it does is give you profiles like you have on most ordinary cell phones. But, it is much more than that. It allows you to create custom profiles that allow you to control your:
    -Display (brightness)
    -Colour theme
    -Power off
    -Beam receive
    -Keyguard
    -Call Forwarding
    -Sounds & Alerts
    -And much more
    And to switch between them instantly (you can set it to be activated be holding the alt, menu, or side key).
    So far that isn't anything really special, what makes it so great is the Triggers. You can create custom triggers to automatically activate and deactivate certain profiles by time of day or by your datebk.
    To help show the value of profiles, here is how I have it working for me:
    -At midnight everyday "Sleepy Time" is activated. This profile silences all alerts (SMS, Email, MMS, etc) but, leaves my ringer on, it also has my screen contrast lower, as I normally want it dimmer at night.
    -at 9am every day "Normal" is activated. This profile has all my alerts active.
    -(this is the best part) Whenever Profiles sees in my datebk that I am at work or in a meeting it automatically activates "Work". my work profile has all audibles off, and vibrate on.
    -As soon as my scheduled work shift or meeting is over it automatically reactivates my previous profile.
    Note: if you install Profiles you will not see a app. for it as it becomes part of your Preferences, so go into Prefs to find it)

My next few in no particular order are:

*TCPMP (The Core Pocket Media Player)
    a very good Video player that allows fullscreen playback and has lots of options.

*Directory Assitant
    A very usefull Phone/address lookup tool. Also very light on the data usage which is always good. Results integrate with Contacts, so you can save the reults straight to your address book.

*Keyguard Time +
    Pops up a fullscreen clock every time you turn on your Treo. Appearance is fully customizable, So is when and for how long the clock appears. For example I have it set to pop up a Black digital clock on a white screen ONLY when my key guard is on. The second keyguard is disabled it dissapears. It is great for a quick check of the time, without actually turning your Treo on.

*Treoalarm
    Treoalarm is intended to be an alarm program, but what is great about it (and the only thing I actually use it for) is it is a very data light weather service. You can have it check the weather (from the national weather service, for any city you choose) on a schedule or whenever you want. So, you will always have the current weather as well as a 5 day forcast.

*KB lights
    Controls your KB lights turn them off when you want, or have then turn off automatically when not in use.

*LED off
    Control if/when you LED blinks

*Always On
    Allows you to set your auto-off time for longer than the usual limit of 3 minutes (right up to never if you want).

I could go on all day, but that will do for now
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    I dont think neither TreoAlarm or KB Lights off are free.

Maybe you need to start a new thread
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    I dont think neither TreoAlarm or KB Lights off are free.

Maybe you need to start a new thread
    TreoAlarm is free. At least the version I linked is (V0.99). I don't know there may or may not be another paid version, but follow my link to get the free version.

looks like you are right about KB Lights off though, it is Shareware. Strange I never noticed that. But, there doesn't appear to be any limitations or restrictions on the non-registered version though.
    Soylent Green Is People

I'm not sure why Treo alarm is in the freewarepalm website but it is a shareware. If you go to the "about" option there is an expiration date.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode
    I'm not sure why Treo alarm is in the freewarepalm website but it is a shareware. If you go to the "about" option there is an expiration date.
    As I said there may be other versions out there, but the version I have Is FreeWare.

As you can see here:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...p-BEA3C8E4.bmp
    If you would like I will gladly post the .PRC here for you all.

Anyways, back on topic...

What are the FREE apps YOU can't do without?
    Soylent Green Is People

http://www.treoalarm.com/register.html

Register TreoAlarm at Introductory Price

Public beta program is going to be officially closed May 1, 2005. Over 11,000 Treo users have downloaded and installed TreoAlarm. Thank you very much for all your comments, suggestions, and support!

As of May 1st, 2005, TreoAlarm is changing its status to a shareware application where costs of development, web hosting, support and maintenance are covered in part by user community.

Use this limited time opportunity to register TreoAlarm at introductory price of $12.95 (30% off the regular price $18.50).

All TreoAlarm users registered before May 7, 2005 will receive a free copy of Remote Lock utility ($6.95 value). Remote Lock helps you to protect personal information if your phone is lost or stolen send SMS message and Remote Lock will activate Treo security system.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    OK, so Yes there are othwer versions out there

So, you have a choice pay for the ShareWare version, or get the FREE Beta version from FreeWarePalm or myself. Your choice.

Personally, I'll stick with you free version.

Again...

Anyways, back on topic...

What are the FREE apps YOU can't do without?
    Soylent Green Is People

I just deleted my version and downloaded from freewarepalm and when I updated the weather it tells me it is expired. Can you confirm on your version if this is the case.
    I think if you download the program and do not use the weather feature it wont expire.
    I just confirmed the alarm function to be working but the weather update has expired.
    Minutes Plus

Once I figure it out, I like Minutes Plus (www.home.triad.rr.com/rlwhitt/palm). It allows me to keep track of my minutes and billing. I just hope there is an upgrade (or a secret) that allows me to track my new Fair & Flexible plan from Sprint.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode
    I just deleted my version and downloaded from freewarepalm and when I updated the weather it tells me it is expired. Can you confirm on your version if this is the case.

Confirmed.

Your old version left some preferences or something behind that lets the newly installed version of TreoAlarm know you had a version that required registration.

When I had this problem with another program I deleted the app in question (TreoAlarm in this case) from my backup folder, Hard Reset my Treo, and then re-synced my data, and then re-installed the app. It then worked fine.
    Soylent Green Is People

13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillin_
    Confirmed.

Your old version left some preferences or something behind that lets the newly installed version of TreoAlarm know you had a version that required registration.

When I had this problem with another program I deleted the app in question (TreoAlarm in this case) from my backup folder, Hard Reset my Treo, and then re-synced my data, and then re-installed the app. It then worked fine.
    Although I should add, Developers deserve to be paid for their work, and in this case I would say it is worth the money. I am not trying to recommend ways to screw the developers, I am just letting you know what worked for me. What you choose to do is up to you.
    Soylent Green Is People

14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50
    Minutes Plus

Once I figure it out, I like Minutes Plus (www.home.triad.rr.com/rlwhitt/palm). It allows me to keep track of my minutes and billing. I just hope there is an upgrade (or a secret) that allows me to track my new Fair & Flexible plan from Sprint.
    I agree this is a very usefull program. It takes a little time to set up, but is worth the effort.

I especcially like the "Estimated month end total" function.
    Soylent Green Is People

Chillin:

May I ask a favor of behalf of us readers ? Does the Free Apps thing need to be in such large type ? I'd like to get a good number of posts per page and that big tag line eats up a lotta real estate....especially when it appears in 7 of 14 posts in a thread, it make sscrollingt he thread a bit tedious..
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Chillin:

May I ask a favor of behalf of us readers ? Does the Free Apps thing need to be in such large type ? I'd like to get a good number of posts per page and that big tag line eats up a lotta real estate....especially when it appears in 7 of 14 posts in a thread, it make sscrollingt he thread a bit tedious..
    LOL

Ya, it is a little big, isn't it.

Since you asked so nicely, I'll resize it...

Edit: There you go. At least it fits on one line now
    Soylent Green Is People

I'll add a few apps I can't live without, all free or GNU/GPL.

TreoHelper, a great application that works well with the 650. I'm using it to trigger a pull using Snappermail when a certain SMS message is received (SMS new mail notification) eliminating the need for scheduled pull intervals (battery drain):
    http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/treohelper.html

KeepOff is great, blows KeyGuard away. Works great for hip holsters or pocket carry:
    http://www.vtable.com/keepoff5.prc

FileZ, no real need to even mention it, as everyone should know what it is:
    http://www.nosleep.net/

ScrollJump makes forum web browsing easier as well as misc apps:
    http://descargas.terra.es/informacio...d=39180&plat=5 (Appears english URL/Server is offline)

PXA Clocker makes NES emulation and TG16 much faster:
    http://free.7host06.com/hexview/pxaclocker/

pSSH, a great SSH v2 client:
    http://www.sealiesoftware.com/pssh/

Free NES emulator, have not tried it, paid for NesEM but may be worth a shot:
    http://yoyofr.fr.st/ljp
    Last edited by evilghost; 05/08/2005 at 09:01 PM.
    you covered most of the free ones that I have on there now, except shadowmite's patch for the call log (adds call duration). I know it isnt an app, but it is priceless (considering its free, thats saying a lot!)!
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    KBLightsOff stops functioning after 30 days (or is it 45?).
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillin_
    Since you asked so nicely, I'll resize it...
    beauty !
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast