Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Was getting ready to DL FileZ from PalmGear and they're asking for the following info to register;

* Profile Name:
    * Device Owned:
    * Hot Sync User ID

I read part, and scrolled through the rest of their privacy statement, but nowhere in the policy, or anywhere else that I can see on their site, do they specify why this much data is needed for a registration. I've never seen a site that requests hardware / profile related info & I'm somewhat cautious right now.

Does anyone know what it's used for and why? What happens when I change my Profile Name or a Hot Synch User ID? I assume nothing. I'm sure software purchased through them isn't tied to a profile name or user ID... And there's better ways to track me as an individual in their system that with this info...

Anyway, it's time to go back and find those threads again with links to Palm related merchant sites and start bookmarking, but if anyone wants to recomend a favorite reputable site, one with excellent service, etc... (I'm sure there's not that many) I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

David...
    When registering software on a Palm, usually the hotsync ID is used to restrict the registration to that Palm. Not sure why you'd ever change your hotsync ID.

But I'm not sure why they'd ask that stuff for Filez as I thought that was free.
    The Hotsync user id is used to generate registration codes for many programs. When you purchase a program PalmGear will generate the code and send it to you.

As a developer I receive the Hotsync Id, device type and other information when someone purchases one of my programs. The information helps me check for compatibility between my software and the specified device, and let's me regenerate a registration code in case the purchaser looses their code..

I presume that the profile name is used incase you have multiple devices .
    You do know you can download stuff from PalmGear without registering, right? Just click "Download as Guest".
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the responses, especially from DHanderson... It's good to hear the reasoning from a developer.

I have no idea why I'd change an ID, I really haven't thought of that. But if I initially loaded Palm Desktop with some crazy ID, then later wanted to change it to something more "traditional", does that mean I then have to get new codes for all the programs I've purchased ?

Also, I'm not that familiar with profiles, but can't I have multiple profiles on one device ? If so, does this method of registering the SW limit the usage to one profile? Not that I plan on doing this, I'm just kind of mussing out loud now...

And no, I didn't realize I could download as a guest, I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to the screen. Thanks for pointing it out :-)

Regards,

David...
    Whenever I d/l something from PG my name is Joe Blow and my e-mail is abc@aol.com
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    I thought of that also, but I guess my concern was/is more with purchases...

David...