Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey,
    I know there is tons of talk about the low volume issue on the handset for the 650. I know there are work arounds like using speakerphone and such. I can't even here people talking when I'm driving my car, it's ridiculous. Anyway has there been a solution to this yet?? I just bought the phone today, should I return it? I have spent the last couple hours searching and I have still not come up with adefinitive solution. I also tried VolumeControl but it didn't raise my max volume by anything noticable. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Most people I have heard from feel better once they got the update...did you update your firmware...if not...check to see what version you have. Search the threads for the update.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

^yup, what he said.

1.23 has WAY better earpice and speakerphone volume.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
  4.    #4  
    I tried 1.23 and didn't notice any difference. I also tried 1.21 with no difference either...

Thanks for the help,
    Mike
    try volumecare for gotreosoftware.com/downloads
    Treoing & Loving it
  6.    #6  
    I tried that as well, didn't seem to make any difference on the overall earpiece volume. Thanks,
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadowWRX
    I tried 1.23 and didn't notice any difference. I also tried 1.21 with no difference either...

Thanks for the help,
    Mike
    This is surprising, as I (and most) noticed a huge difference.

Stupid question: You know you need to use the side buttons while actively on a call to up the volume, and then must hit the side accept button to accept the changes, right? (and then possibly to it again next/every call as the volume never want to stay up)
    Soylent Green Is People

I don't know what the 650 sounded like before the update, but with it, the speaker volume is fine. I set it to the highest, and it works fine for me.
  9.    #9  
    I tried pushing the volume rocker up all the way when in the call, still too quiet. I also tried using the program "volume control" which leaves it at the max setting constantly. I can barely hear people on it when I am driving my car due to my exhaust. I also can't hear anybody if I'm in a busy area...
    I called the store since I just bought it yesterday and they said I could try a different one and see if it is any better, should I do that or might by problem get worse. My sim card also ends in a G if that effects volume (I heard it can cause resets).

Thanks for the help,
    Mike
    I tried pushing the volume rocker up all the way when in the call, still too quiet. I also tried using the program "volume control" which leaves it at the max setting constantly. I can barely hear people on it when I am driving my car due to my exhaust. I also can't hear anybody if I'm in a busy area...
    I called the store since I just bought it yesterday and they said I could try a different one and see if it is any better, should I do that or might by problem get worse. My sim card also ends in a G if that effects volume (I heard it can cause resets).

Thanks for the help,
    Mike
    Your phone is virtually unusable and you are worried about it getting worse? Deffinetely trade it in. It sounds like a hardware issue to me, what you are explaining is Not normal, if anything it can only get better.
    Soylent Green Is People

I agree with Chillin, if it's THAT bad, then definitely get a new one. To be honest with you, I had orignally a 600 and returned it because it was too quiet, this was before the 650 came out. I was concerned with the 650 over the volume of the speaker, but when I got the phone and made calls, the volume was fine for me. I'm a stickly for a high volume speaker just because I'm at locations where there's a lot of background noise. If your phone in your mind is that bad, I'd definitely get it replaced. There's always a chance you may have gotten a bad apple.
  12.    #12  
    Okay I'm gonna head over to the store, I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks,
    Mike
  13.    #13  
    Okay I got a new phone. Much better, I can hear fine with the windows open and at full throttle, which is quite loud in the 4.8 jeep with exhaust
    The phone has firmware 1.05, I want to back this up just in case the 1.23 firmware makes the sound worse, how do I backup firmware?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Keep the phone and buy a nice muffler

Thanks for the help,
    Mike
  15.    #15  
    I just did the 1.23 update and it sounds a little quieter, maybe I'm just going crazy??

Mike
    I have a Sprint phone, so I can't help you there man.
  17.    #17  
    Anyone else have this issue??

Mike
    I do with Sprint.. hard to hear.
    It has to be the new memory system... my volume is halfway decent (not great, but so so) at one point in the day and then crappy later in the same environment.

I have maintained from the very beginning... it is the memory.

Too many different variables not only in the problems people are having but also in that the problems can tend to appear then disappear or diminish to some degree...

It's the memory.

PalmOne... ditch this memory system... backtrack to the system you had with the Treo 600 and then give us 128k... just.... freaking.... do... it.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I get the same thing. One call is good and the next time it is miserable. I think the problem has something to do with the GSM networks. Maybe 800 versus 1900? I just hope palm addresses this soon! I drive a Jeep and I am ready to swap the hard top with my soft top. If I don't get a fix, it will be worthless to take the 650 with me. Last year I used my 600 and it worked fine 100% of the time, even with the soft top on.

greg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast