Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I ordered my Treo 650 from Cingular in March via their 800 phone number. At the time I placed the order I told the sales agent I wanted an unlimited data plan, which he told me was $24.95 a month.

Today I went to replace a Gemplus SIM that had failed and the clerk at the local Cingular store asked me if I was aware that I had an outstanding bill of over $1,000, most of which were data minutes.

According to her, there was no data plan on my account, and even if the original order taker had put the $24.95 plan on my account it wouldn't have mattered as that plan was for regular phones. PDA phones like the Treo & blackberry require a $39.95 plan for unlimited data.

And why didn't I find out about this sooner - the agent who took my original order didn't put the suite number of my corporate office (who pays my bill) on my account, so my company never got a bill, and Cingular never bothered calling me to find out why my bill wasn't paid. Instead the store clerk today told me my phone was going to be turned off on Monday for non-payment.

Needless to say, I'm now waiting on a call back from Cingular's dispute settlement group.
    the $24.95 plan is the same as the $40 PDA plan
    they just want pda phone people to pay more.

and refuse to let you sign up for the $25 plan

IF, they know you have a pda phone and god-forbid
    actually intend to use the "unlimited" data plan

they signed you up on a $25 unlimited data plan,
    don't buy into their BS sales pitch and DO NOT upgrade to the $40 plan, it's a scam

hold them to your original plan and otherwise tell them they can have the phone back

and you'll switch to sprint, since even with the ETF penalty, you will save money in 90 days
    Quote Originally Posted by ibeplato
    I ordered my Treo 650 from Cingular in March via their 800 phone number. At the time I placed the order I told the sales agent I wanted an unlimited data plan, which he told me was $24.95 a month.

Today I went to replace a Gemplus SIM that had failed and the clerk at the local Cingular store asked me if I was aware that I had an outstanding bill of over $1,000, most of which were data minutes.

According to her, there was no data plan on my account, and even if the original order taker had put the $24.95 plan on my account it wouldn't have mattered as that plan was for regular phones. PDA phones like the Treo & blackberry require a $39.95 plan for unlimited data.

And why didn't I find out about this sooner - the agent who took my original order didn't put the suite number of my corporate office (who pays my bill) on my account, so my company never got a bill, and Cingular never bothered calling me to find out why my bill wasn't paid. Instead the store clerk today told me my phone was going to be turned off on Monday for non-payment.

Needless to say, I'm now waiting on a call back from Cingular's dispute settlement group.
    I currently owe Cingular somewhere in the neighborhood of 2,000. USD because I was on the BellSouth combined billing program. Being on that program does not allow you the same informational privilidges as when you are a regular Cingular customer... this was not data related but it cause is the same... lack of communication.

I loathe Sprint PCS for their 3am SMS wake up calls like "your phone has been disconnected because you are currently $11.23 over your limit"... nonsense like that... but at the same time they don't just sit back and laugh while your balance goes into orbit.

Let me know if anyone else has this problem... I got them to roll back the March bill to a higher plan to accommodate the greater minutes of usage but they are holding out on the January and February bills... It might be advantageous to present a problem like this to them in a "class-action" fashion even if it doesn't go to court.
    If you have copies of the purchase order, you can use that. Otherwise, it's time to argue until you're blue in the face that you purchased an unlimited data plan and it is ENTIRELY THEIR FAULT that you didn't get it. The charges are unbased since they screwed up the plan, and therefore don't let them give you crap about taking 50% off the amount, which they sometimes try to make sound like they're doing you a big favor.

Apparently Cingular has problems with continuity in their data plan setup, people on the old $20 unlimited plan 'lose' it out of the blue, people on the $25 unlimited plan are billed for data out of the blue, etc. Cingular needs to get this stuff straightened out.

Visit cingular.howardforums.com for more posts, and likely more/better suggestions on how to get this settled. In the end, you should not owe them any data time and have your $25 plan maintained.
    stick to your guns... I went threw something similar with nextel awhile back... I upgraded from a regular flip phone to a blackberry & the sales rep signed me up for a blackberry only plan (meaning data only no cell plan) When actually he was supposed to just add a data plan to my existing cell plan.

It took me about an hours worth of "no that's not acceptable" and 3 differnt C.S.R.'s to get it straight. But in the end everything turned out ok.

With number portability, the cell providers better start catering to their customers a little more. I would pay an early termination fee in a heartbeat to take my number to a better service provider.
    Wow, I know a lot of people hate Sprint but boy am I glad that I dumped ATTWS before they became Cingular and jumped on the Sprint bandwagon. Even with the SMS of death, as I call it, at 3am, I still like them better. And you cant beat 10-15 bucks a month for near 130kbs unlimited data. Sprint kind of forces you to be up on your account at all times, and once you figure out how they bill things it is simple to always keep under the limit's. When I was with ATTWS, they would just let you go, and if there was a mistake on their side, like this $1000 charge is, they let you put the noose around your neck, jump and then dangle for a little while and then they cut you down, well with a $1000 - $3000 payment they cut you down. I would fight this. Even though we are in an over litigious society, it sometimes helps to have a lawyer draft a letter of intent stating you are going to take them on for fraudulent practices, if worse comes to worse... Also loud complaining to the reps and demanding managers and directors sometimes works. Kinda sucks that to get anything done you have to be rude...
    bit_bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by docmaster
    I loathe Sprint PCS for their 3am SMS wake up calls like "your phone has been disconnected because you are currently $11.23 over your limit"... nonsense like that... but at the same time they don't just sit back and laugh while your balance goes into orbit.
    Perhaps, but you'd only get that if you started with Sprint on bad credit terms to begin with, AND went over your limit (which usually doesn't happen unless you accrue a lot of overage/premium services OR don't pay your bill on time).

Never gotten the 3 a.m. SMS here.
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    Perhaps, but you'd only get that if you started with Sprint on bad credit terms to begin with, AND went over your limit (which usually doesn't happen unless you accrue a lot of overage/premium services OR don't pay your bill on time).

Never gotten the 3 a.m. SMS here.
    Negative Sir... ALWAYS paid my bill on time... and the amount was always miniscule.. Not only would they NOT accept a deposit from me, they also would not accept an advanced payment (to hold against future balances)... a truly ridiculous situation.... to boot, I have a friend... the largest single landowner in Key West, FL... to say the least, he's worth a fortune... they put him through the same BS until he jumped ship for Nextel. I've heard about this idiotic dilemma from two other area realtors since then.

But my point was that, at least Sprint didn't let your usage run amuck.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ibeplato
    ...Today I went to replace a Gemplus SIM that had failed and the clerk at the local Cingular store asked me if I was aware that I had an outstanding bill of over $1,000, most of which were data minutes...
    My first Cingular bill was $1122. It took 2 months, but they resolved all issues. If you PM me, I will give you the name and phone number of the Corporate person who resolved my issue. I was supposed to have $99 plan with $19.95 unlimited data.

They have had a LOT of problems, but appear to be getting their act together. I am very happy with Cingular.
    It might be advantageous to present a problem like this to them in a "class-action" fashion even if it doesn't go to court.

According to their lenghty agreements/TOS/contract, you can't hit them class-action style. You may be able to try, but their contract prohibits it.
    Gee, I always set up my wireless carrier on an autopay program with a credit card. I've always patted myself on the back for nver having to worry about the bill being paid on time, but now it occurs to me that Cingular would have merilly charged my card for thousands of dollars.

Time to un-auto-pay my accounts!
    Quote Originally Posted by thegasguru
    Gee, I always set up my wireless carrier on an autopay program with a credit card. I've always patted myself on the back for nver having to worry about the bill being paid on time, but now it occurs to me that Cingular would have merilly charged my card for thousands of dollars.

Time to un-auto-pay my accounts!
    I never use autopay with any service in which my bill can vary like this (Phone, stallellite, utilities) for this very reason. You could suddenly get stuck with some obscene charge that will.
    A) Overdraw your account or bounce payment (costing you untold hassle and money.)
    B) Won't necessarily get the money back in a timely fasion.
    C) Harder to get the carrier to "fix" the billing error if they already have your money.

If you use auto payment, use your banks bill-pay system and have it automatically send the 'normal payment (I overpay my Cingular bill by about $5/month to pad and avoid an arbitrary $1.00 underpayment & late charge) because it should always be the same.
    Example, your cingular bill is usually $73.00, send $75/month. Check your bill from time to time to make sure it's still getting paid.
    I overpay my utilities so there's always about $100 credit to account for varying usage.
    My bank will immediately credit money back to me in the event of a payment/billing error until it's resolved.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Cingular rep at store tried to do the switcharoo on me too saying there was no record of my original $25 unlimited data rate. Bull crap. I told him I have records online, on my credit card and the original paper bill stating "my contract that I signed" with them.

Don't be intimidated. He backed off once I told him that. I also told him, that the Treo 650 was a trial situation for me, and no guarantee that my plan would be for that particular gsm phone. So he really backed off once I threatened that I have another gsm phone I use.
    I got the $25 plan on my 650 after some convincing. They actually tell the reps that the $25 plan is WAP type website only. However, "internet pay per use" was also on my account, and guess which one won? Fortunately I noticed quickly and was only billed $17.03 which they quickly credited back to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    My first Cingular bill was $1122. It took 2 months, but they resolved all issues. If you PM me, I will give you the name and phone number of the Corporate person who resolved my issue. I was supposed to have $99 plan with $19.95 unlimited data.

They have had a LOT of problems, but appear to be getting their act together. I am very happy with Cingular.
    I have that plan too, and end up paying $145 a month with all the fees, taxes, surcharges and crap. However, I was very luck I have 3 bills and all have come in right. (knock on wood) However, I watch them every month LIKE A HAWK cause they tried to pull the switcharoo on my wife. Got it straightened out but continue to watch them carefully.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    There is a problem with the Cingular accounting software that "drops" certain checkoffs on your bill. I have lost the one that gets me free roaming 4 times since February 02. They neve rgive me an argument and just credit it back. My one pronlem that persisted is that I was on the penny per KB pay as you go data plan which expired February 11....it's no 3 cents. When their "software" dropped it, the CSR's have no way to put it back on.
    Cingular did the same to me! I told them I wanted a 'fully loaded' plan. Call waiting, forwarding, data, eyt. They said call forward was included in my plan. Well, I just found out that call forwarding doesn't use minutes at all, it costs .35 a minute and there is no data plan which lets you use minutes to forward calls. (I use this about 400 minutes a month)

After I worked through their crappy voice prompt system I finally spoke to a supervisor who told me too bad. The wording may have been misleading, but it wasn't wrong! I always thought included meant included with no additional charge, apparently it means included but you can be charged .35 a minute additional! Verizon, where I left to come to this hell, included the calls against your minutes. In any case, I'm in a contract for the next 8 months and then I'll switch back. F@#K Cingular!
    Cingular is consistently showing themselves to be the worst of the worst when it comes to service and customer service. It will bite them in the end. As soon as I unlock my 650 I'll plop in my TMobile sim
    Negative Sir... ALWAYS paid my bill on time... and the amount was always miniscule.. Not only would they NOT accept a deposit from me, they also would not accept an advanced payment (to hold against future balances)... a truly ridiculous situation.... to boot, I have a friend... the largest single landowner in Key West, FL... to say the least, he's worth a fortune... they put him through the same BS until he jumped ship for Nextel. I've heard about this idiotic dilemma from two other area realtors since then.

But my point was that, at least Sprint didn't let your usage run amuck.
    You're 100% correct about Sprint and their stupid calls! You pay your bill and STILL get called sometimes! OR they call you for $2.00!! And also lie about how much the bill is sometimes!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorypierce
    According to their lenghty agreements/TOS/contract, you can't hit them class-action style. You may be able to try, but their contract prohibits it.
    That doesn't stop reports to the attorney general of your state. Or maybe even the FCC, or whoever is in charge of them. I have seen this MANY times about Cingular. Has anyone ever reported them for both of these widespread problems? Overbilling and upselling of the same service. They will keep doing it until consumers show them they're serious about fair service!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast