Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I just signed up for the $24.99 unlimited data plan - but the rep warned me that I could get charged extra if they found out I was using data on a PDA. We weren't really sure how they could tell. Interestingly, the rep said that he gets a bigger commission off the $24.99 plan than the $44.99 unlimited PDA plan. I hope that's not becuase I'll get hit with a surprise bill of hundreds of $$$ due to being on the wrong data plan
    When I switched from Sprint to Cingular, Cingular ported my new phone to the wrong phone number twice--despite the fact that I gave them the correct number. My first bill then contained an approximately $150 extra charge (I can't remember the exact amount) for new service activation and early termination of a second line of service for one of those incorrectly ported numbers. Sheesh, I shoulda been charging them for being without service for a week. They were kind enough, though, to remove the charges when I called. (This was one of just many, many problems that I had with Cingular when I switched over.)

On the bright side, I've done a fair amount of international roaming now and, so far, none of those charges have appeared on my bill. And, given, their completely crappy service to date, I'm in no frame of mind to remind them to bill me! (It will probably catch up with me, though, but, so far, so good.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roshambo
    Call waiting, forwarding, data, eyt. They said call forward was included in my plan.
    They told me a week ago that it works like this:

You forward a call from one Cingular to a 2nd Cingulat number of yours within your plan.....1st phone gets charged 1 minute. 2nd phone gets charged lenegth of call.
    I have to say that my experience with Cingular has been excellent. After 8 years with Verizon I switched to Cingular because I wanted the Treo 650 and GSM service for international use. When I called Cingular to order the phone I did so only after e-mail confirmation from a CSR that they would sign me up for the MediaNet Unlimited plan with the 650. I wanted that in case they ever tried to change the plan on me. I got the plan without any problem. I've been watching my account on their website and will keep looking out for any surprise changes.

I got my first bill and noticed that not only did they charge me 36 for a new activation but they charged me another 36 for a number change because I wanted to try their service for a couple of weeks before I ported my Verizon number over. When I called Cingular about this additional charge they immediately removed it from my account without me even asking. I've only received a partial and one full bill so far but all of the charges have been correct and I'm still in the MediaNet Unlimited plan.

I also figured I'd ask them about getting the subsidy unlock code when I called about the number change charge. The CSR said that he had to fill out a form and e-mail it to the "right" department. He said I should get an e-mail in 3 to 5 business days. I figured I see what happened but I expected that I'd never hear back and I have to call again. In less than 3 business days the same CSR called me and gave me the subsidy unlock code and instructions. I was shocked he called back and gave me the code since I've been a Cingular customer less than 5 weeks and I didn't really complain. I simply said that my employer would not pay for international roaming but would reimburse me for a prepaid foreign SIM. That's what he put in the request. I entered the code he gave me last night and then inserted a Vodaphone SIM I have from the Netherlands. It found the Cingular network and worked fine.

I was very worried about switching to Cingular after so many happy years with Verizon but I have to say that I've been very surprised at how great the Cingular CSRs have been with me. I hope my luck continues and I hope that my experience will be useful to anyone considering the switch but worried about all of negative Cingular postings.

Sorry about the long post but I wanted to cover my entire Cingular experience.
  5.    #25  
    Here's an update - On May 6th I first called Cingular to get this thing straightend out. I was told they would escalate it and call me in 5-7 days.

I then called on May 25th after never hearing back from Cingular. The rep I spoke with told me that Cingular had agreed to cut my bill by 50%, meaning that I still owed $600. When I protested it was again escalated and I was told I would get a call back in 24 hours. The next day (May 26th) Cingular called me to tell me that they were still working on my account and I would get a call in the next day or so.

Today is June 1st, Cingular has not yet called. BUT, I noticed that they have added another $800 dollars to my bill for data charges in May EVEN THOUGH I NOW HAVE AN UNLIMITED DATA PLAN ON MY ACCOUNT FOR $39.95.

I'm calling them again tomorrow. My bill now stands at over $2k. I am also contacting the BBB and the state atty. general's office if this isn't resolved this week.
    When I first got my treo I had the 49.99 plan and I set up the unlimited data plan. But the clerk acidently punched in the regular media.net plan. SO my first month I had over 300 dollars in charges, I went in and talked with my store manager and we spoke with the clerk. She realized that she punched in the wrong thing, so the Store manager called Corp and let them know it was there error and then it was taken care of. THats why I ALWYAS do any mods to my plan in person, so I have a name and face to go along with what you say.
    But yea i'd call corp and try to settle it. I mean you could always leave cingular, and any decent laywer would get anything dropped if Cingular came after you. And usually they try to work things out. (at least in my experience)
    I too have PDA unlimited, and just received a bill for $1,400.00, $1,280 of it for data! I called Cingular and they could not explain why I was being charged for data, when I had PDA unlimited. They said that they would credit my account, but so far, they have not. Someone really needs to look into their billing practices.
    Where are you guys getting these cheap data plans? Everywhere I go in DC, it's $3x for unlimited!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I am not comfortable passing out the name of the individual who corrected my $1,200 charge, but I will tell you how I found them.

www.google.com search the phrase

Cingular public relations

on the first page you'll see a link to a cingular website with direct dial phone numbers. I called the most appropriate (regionally), gave them some insight into my issues and had call back within 1 day.

good luck.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    I am not comfortable passing out the name of the individual who corrected my $1,200 charge, but I will tell you how I found them.

www.google.com search the phrase

Cingular public relations

on the first page you'll see a link to a cingular website with direct dial phone numbers. I called the most appropriate (regionally), gave them some insight into my issues and had call back within 1 day.

good luck.
    Another update - I called Cingular and told them if this wasn't resolved by Friday I was going to the BBB and my state Attorney General. They took my info and called me an hour later to tell me that my adjustment had been approved but was awaiting a senior VP's signature and that it would take 1-2 billing cycles.

I'll keep waiting......
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ibeplato
    ...and that it would take 1-2 billing cycles...
    does that mean 1 to 2 months ????

THe folks I spoke to corrected the charges on the spot. Make sure you keep good notes / dates / times....
    Make sure you keep good notes / dates / times....
    ...and get a printout of your credit report after they finally get it right. Chances are, they may report your account as delinquent until such time as the charges are removed, in which case you'll want to dispute the black mark with the credit agencies.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  13.    #33  
    does that mean 1 to 2 months ????

THe folks I spoke to corrected the charges on the spot. Make sure you keep good notes / dates / times....
    Pabo, thanks for your suggestion, if the correction doesn't show up on the next bill I will definately follow up with your advice.

They have told me that the account won't be referred out to collections, and I am continuing to pay the undisputed charges. I have a credit reporting service that monitors my report (everyone should have one these days) so I'm keeping my eye on that end as well.
  14.    #34  
    Latest update: Cingular turned off my phone this morning for non-payment of my "disputed" bill, even though they called me on 6/1 and told me all disputed charges would be removed.

ARGHHHH!!!!
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    My first Cingular bill was $1122. It took 2 months, but they resolved all issues. If you PM me, I will give you the name and phone number of the Corporate person who resolved my issue. I was supposed to have $99 plan with $19.95 unlimited data.

They have had a LOT of problems, but appear to be getting their act together. I am very happy with Cingular.
    Pabo - I have sent you a private message for this information over a month ago and not had any responce. i have been dealing with my $20 data problem for 4 months they credit my overage charges but have not been able to correct my plan.

jOHN
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by ibeplato
    Latest update: Cingular turned off my phone this morning for non-payment of my "disputed" bill, even though they called me on 6/1 and told me all disputed charges would be removed.

ARGHHHH!!!!
    OK, here's the latest. I called the 800 number that I was told to call by the message telling me phone was turned off. I got some young girl who basically told me that Cingular wasn't going to do anything and that I had to pay my bill. She pretty much ignored my questions and kept asking me how I would like to pay my bill (which was sitting around $1,200 at this point).

I finally yelled at her and asked to speak to her boss. Her boss came on the line, took all my information, apologized profusely and promised to call me back as soon as she could review my account history. She also re-activated my phone right away.

About 4 hours later she called me back to say that they were removing all erroneous data charges but that they would go back and back-charge my account for the data plan I was supposed to have.

I checked my account balance on line and the data charges were indeed wiped off.

FINALLY, I GOT A CLUEFUL PERSON AT CINGULAR!!!!!!

Thanks to all of you for your comments/tips.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    well.. I have few phones. I have 6620, treo650, SE P910i and others regular phone. I use my phone for demostration purpose. I wonder what cingular will do with my $24.99 media net plan. since i switch phone all the time. I have 6620 and using mobitv.
  18. Lew
    I wonder what cingular will do with my $24.99 media net plan

As of June 1, they dropped the price to $19.99 for the MediaNet Unlimited plan. Of course they wouldn't bother to convert any of the $25/mo customers unless you call and ask.

This thread is a prime example of why I periodically double-check my listed features on Cingular's OLAM and keep copies of printed bills.
    Their website is pretty clear that the MediaNet plan is not intended for the Treo. Technically it will work, but it is intended for regular phones and not PDAs. If you can get a Cingular rep to put your Treo on that plan, then you lucked out, but that is certainly not what Cingular intends to offer with its Treos.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    Perhaps, but you'd only get that if you started with Sprint on bad credit terms to begin with, AND went over your limit (which usually doesn't happen unless you accrue a lot of overage/premium services OR don't pay your bill on time).

Never gotten the 3 a.m. SMS here.
    The same thing kind of happend to me. I was trying sprint out, bought a treo 650, 2000 minute plan and unlimited data. Within the week trial, day 5 I beliave, they cut me off! I was in shock, why couldn't they wait until day 8, I somehow went over my alloted monetery allowance (which I didn't know about because the rep didn't tell me). Anyway, in total amazment at their cutting off a new customer within the 7 day trial I happily dumped them for their obvious lack of customer care. The rep on the phone told me that if I pay the full amount, the phone would be turned back on...I don't think so... One good thing is that when I got my final bill of 53.00 for usage, that was wrong so I called and they just erased the whole thing, so trying out the phone cost me nothing but I learned much
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast