Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Just outta curiosity, has anyone experienced a buzzing on their household speakers when a phone is in the vicinity?

My desktop computer speakers, a portable AM/FM radio, and the woofer on the home theatre all emit a buzzing when the phone is nearby and active. It also happens on occasion when the phone isn't operating, but if I'm accessing the MediaNet and I point the phone at a speaker, the buzzing really increases. In fact, as I'm sitting at the PC typing this, my computer speakers started buzzing and I *knew* a call was coming in. Sure enough, a few seconds later the screen on the Treo 650 lights up and I received a text message with a baseball score. For those who are interested, Top of the 8th and it's Kansas City 1, Baltimore 3. Also, Top of the 8th, Boston 7 Seattle 1

This is the second phone I've noticed it with, both are Cingular GSM only phones. I haven't noticed it with friends phones, like a Sprint CDMA model.

All Speakers are in different locations in the house, on isolated ac circuits, aren't connected in any way with a home network, etc... so I'm really baffled about this.

David...
    Yes, this has been discussed in various threads. There's nothing you can do about it except find the right position for your phone to minimize the noise.
    Your cell phone is radiating interferance into your audio equipment via the unshielded (and, for that matter, unbalanced) lines that your home equipment uses.

Your equipment may be more sensitive to the frequencies used by GSM then CDMA.

Isolated AC circuits don't matter - it's not a power problem, it's a radiating energy into the wire problem.

Good luck!

David G
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Hmm... so maybe building a house with leaded walls ? I would assume then, that different frequencies create the problem, as I mentioned in the OP, sprint phones didn't cause this problem.

Oh well, if there's nothing I can do about it....

Thanks,

David...
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Some speakers are much more sensitive to the problem than others. I work at many comapnies because of my job and I've found that so far as computer speakers go (and I'm around a lot) most don't have a problem with my treo unless it's within a few inches from the speaker. There are a few, though, that start making noise even if my treo is on the other side of the room.
  6. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    I posted a thread on this and got jokes - it must be how you phrase the question. I haven't been able to figure out how to make it stop but it only seems to do it when it's checking for emails or SMS messages, not when it's on standby phone mode, and it only does it when it's within a certain distance.

I was in a meeting where the person across from me had a Treo and he'd left it on the table, the teleconference speaker in the middle of the table started buzzing (we weren't even using it at the time) and everyone was looking puzzled. I told him it was his phone, put it in his pocket, he did and the buzzing stopped.
    I switched from Sprint to AT&T's GSM going on 3 years now. From day 1 I've this problem as well. Don't matter if I'm in a Vegas hotel or in a NY hotel. Even in my car when the radio is on.

But don't worry about it, this is all part of God's plan.

- Blades
    Mother do you think they'll drop the bomb?
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    I even notice it (on occasion) without a phone being in the area. I've talked to electrical type people and there's a lot of possible variables. Bad ballasts in a florescent light, a component going bad in something like a furnace or refridgerator that has a motor or compressor, bad earth ground, bad wiring period, and of course, phones, CB's, ham radio's, cell towers, etc in the immediate area. FWIW, my 5.8 cordless phones don't exhibit this problem

I have also noticed that the problem has become more pronounced with the Treo than with my previous Motorolla GSM phone.

I've been told that the best way to isolate and possibly fix the problem is to make friends with a ham radio operator, they love tracking down these type of problems.

David...
    In respect to your cell phone, the only way to "fix" this sort of problem is to change the audio equipment you are using. The problem actually has nothing to do with the speaker in of itself. It's the signal line or the amp itself.

FYI, the building with the leaded walls will only help if the walls are between your audio setup and your Treo.

Good luck!

David G
    Funny enough I was on a client conference call with a Polycom speakerphone. As I sat down, the client on the phone complained about an annoying hiss on the speaker. I turned my Treo phone off and they said, the hiss was gone. Sheesh. Etiquette I will remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgilman
    FYI, the building with the leaded walls will only help if the walls are between your audio setup and your Treo.

Good luck!

David G
    Make ysure you dont chew on those walls now you hear!
    I bought my first GSM phone to get international quad band Treo 650 w Cingular after over a decade on Verizon CDMA. I am experiencing interference in the office and in my car - I can deal with the office, but it is a "car" phone, and I want to be able to see the phone - meaning near my radio. Any suggestions for how to deal with this?
    I had an odd instance related to this. I came home one day and was changing out of my work clothes and put my 650 on the sink. It happened to be at the top of the hour, so my 650 started downloading email (which seems to emit a stronger frequency for these interferences). All of the sudden my electric razor starts turning on and off and jerking around. It freaked me out for a minute because I couldn't figure out why my razor was flipping out. I realized the phone was too close and was checking email. I moved the phone and the razor was back to normal. There's no telling what these GSM/GPRS signals interfere with.
    I think this happens with GSM phones because they xmit on a single frequency when they make a call. CDMA phones (Sprint / VZ) use spread spectrum. It is a better technology all around. The energy they emit is spread throughout a wider spectrum.

I am on Cingular now, and notive the interference all over the place. It never happened when I was on CDMA (last 5 years).