1. arc
    Hi all, new user, and before I get scolded.. I did look for the answer in the manual and in the forums (but I could have missed it...)

Anyway, my 650, which I set to power down in 2 minutes, does power down but contantly wakes up every 5 minutes or so. This is only when the phone is left on. So battery life will dwindle.

When I turn off the phone though, it powers down and stays there like it should.

I am sure there must be another program or setting that I need to change. Any ideas?
    Hello Arc,

This is Kevin from palmOne. Ruling out the obvious (incoming email, event reminder, message alert), there are a couple of other possibilities for your Treo turning on suddenly. 1. Your screen may turn on if you are currently roaming. The smartphone needs to check with the local network periodically, to see if you're still roaming.

2. If you're currently out of a coverage area, your smartphone may turn on once in a while to see if there's a network to which it can attach.

Hope that's of help.

Sincerely
    Kevin
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    Check out what’s new at
    http://www.palm.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Michaels
    there are a couple of other possibilities for your Treo turning on suddenly. 1. Your screen may turn on if you are currently roaming. The smartphone needs to check with the local network periodically, to see if you're still roaming.

2. If you're currently out of a coverage area, your smartphone may turn on once in a while to see if there's a network to which it can attach.
    Thanks for the clarification, Kevin. But I have to ask: is it really necessary for the Treo to fully "wake up," including turning on the screen, when it does that? Surely those sort of processes could be done in the background without waking the entire machine?
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  4. arc
    Kevin,

I have to say that the intermittent signal is probably the problem. Cingular does not roam or switch to analog like sprint, but my house is on the fringe of no connection area. I have to give Kudos to the Treo, because I was never able to use any cell phone in my house before the 650. Now, even at 1 to 2 bars, occassionally 0, it is much much better.

I agree with Jetkins, that It would be nice if there was a software fix for that, but I am sure I am in the minority with this issue, so it wont rate high on the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    Thanks for the clarification, Kevin. But I have to ask: is it really necessary for the Treo to fully "wake up," including turning on the screen, when it does that? Surely those sort of processes could be done in the background without waking the entire machine?
    Good question jetkins. Unfortunately, engineering and design fall way beyond my purview. But I'll pass the concern along.

Sincerely
    Kevin
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    Check out what’s new at
    Quote Originally Posted by Arc
    Kevin,

I have to say that the intermittent signal is probably the problem. Cingular does not roam or switch to analog like sprint, but my house is on the fringe of no connection area. I have to give Kudos to the Treo, because I was never able to use any cell phone in my house before the 650. Now, even at 1 to 2 bars, occassionally 0, it is much much better.
    I know. I have one bar in my house. It's a pretty solid "one" and phone has only woken up once or twice to search and I've never lost a call indoors. Walk 20 feet outside or anywhere else in my stomping grounds and the signal is much higher.

Sincerely
    Kevin
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    Check out what’s new at
    I have Sprint and have excellent reception in my house, full bars. When my phone wants to keep waking up, around the 5 minutes, I turn off Bluetooth and that has taken care of it everytime.