1.    #1  
    I just got off the phone with Cingular and tech support at PalmOne. I purchased my 650 from a Cingular retail store, thus it is a locked phone. As such, it comes with Xpress Mail and Real Player pre-installed. I don't like either of these programs as there are better alternatives out there.

Here's the catch... both Cingular and PalmOne told me that I cannot remove either of these programs. I was informed that they are "embedded in the ROM." Is this true? Didn't Microsoft get slammed with a multi-million dollar lawsuit over bundling their software with their operating system? Can Cingular do this? Bottom line is it's taking up memory that could be better put to use...

Any help on removing these BS programs would be great!

Thanks...
    There are a ton of posts on this very issue. But to answer your question, if you want the programs removed, you'll have to do a custom rom. Check out www.shadowmite.com for details on this.
    --> Me fail english? That's unpossible!! <--
    isnt real player a plus which eliminates the need to spend money on products which do the same thing
    Quote Originally Posted by milpar34
    ...bottom line is it's taking up memory that could be better put to use...any help on removing these BS programs would be great!
    Xpress Mail and Real Player do not take up any user accessable memory. These programs are stored in ROM (read only memory) which is not accessable by users (making customs ROMS is the exception, search the board). Deleting these programs would not free up any additional RAM for your use.

CGordonn
  5.    #5  
    interesting... thanks for the info... BTW there are much better media players than Real Player.

It still kinda ticks me off... I should be able to remove it easily if I don't want it... after all didn't I pay $500 for my Treo?

haha.. thanks guys.