Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    May 6, 2005 article on Earthtimes.org website:

Earthtimes.org Article Places Blackberry #1 based on sales

Also thought this was interesting;

palmOne is also set to launch its hard drive equipped PDA - the LifeDrive or Tungsten X -- the first such device that can be mounted on a computer desktop using a USB 2 port with facilities for file transfer. It is designed to be a full-fledged music player and capable of copying digital images from SD cards.
    These results are based on the first quarter of 2005, when the Treo 650 first came out. Would be interesting to see the results after the second quarter.

I know a lot more folks buying Treo 650s than Blackberries...
    Pilot Professional 1MB -> Palm III -> Palm 515 -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Gartner Research (the firm that put out the report) very curiously decided to "not include smartphones, such as the treo 650..." but decided to include wireless PDA's. This report you mention does not even consider the Treo 650 as a PDA and therefore these results are 'framed' for a specific result. It has nothing to do about when the reports came out.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    My guess is that RIM is a Gartner client and P1 is not......

this is fairly transparent.

just to get it into the thread - THIS IS THE END OF PALMONE, THE THIRD NAIL IN THE COFFIN, THE BEGINNING OF THE END, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH......
    Last edited by pabo; 05/06/2005 at 07:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth
    Gartner Research (the firm that put out the report) very curiously decided to "not include smartphones, such as the treo 650..." but decided to include wireless PDA's. This report you mention does not even consider the Treo 650 as a PDA and therefore these results are 'framed' for a specific result. It has nothing to do about when the reports came out.
    Good call!
    it seems that according to gartner the 600/650 doesnt exist they never include it in any numbers when they come out with these "stats."
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    But, but, everyone knows palmone is done! Everything they put out is crap! NO ONE is happy! ALL Treo's, now and ever, have been crap! "Sigh"...so tired of this.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I'd argue with your points, but I don't want to be called an aP1ologist
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    since this report didn't include the treo line, which is a MAJOR part of the palmone production line now, then I can't regard it as accurate.
    if they wanted to compare the successes of wireless handheld companies, then include ALL the devices from each of these companies!!
    clearly, as was said above, a transparent study here.
    the fact that palmone is in second place even without the inclusion of the treo sales is very noteworthy.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Yeah, I thought that was funny...

They are basically trying to make the distinction between a smart phone (a phone with a PDA in it) to a wireless PDA (a PDA with a phone in it).

Ultimately it's the same thing...and all they are doing is skewing the numbers.
    "Figures lie and liars figure"....go figure.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    "Figures lie and liars figure"....go figure.
    I like that.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
  13.    #13  
    I have a hard time considering the Blackberry a PDA. It's a great e-mail client, but if I designed a PDA, it would be nothing like a Blackberry. The PDA functions of a Blackberry SUCK!
    So I was at an IT conference this week and for fun I decided I'd count the number of Blackberries to Treos that I saw people using. The totals?

Blackberries: 6
    Treo: 5

This doesn't include my Treo, so in that case, it's tied up!

I need a life....
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    I must say, during s recent trip to NYC and DC. Blackberries are everywhere. I also have a eye out for a Treo. Sometimes they r very hard to spot.

My boss just bought a Blackberry. I thought it was very humerous, that one morning I am sitting in my office. Listening to an audiobook and loading some new apps. He comes in and ask me what I was doing. I told him listening to a audiobook and loading a few apps I downloaded from the web. He noticed the newest issue of PDA Essentials. (i left on my desk on purpose. It talks about Blackberries and there lack of being useful even as a PDA.). LOL. The look on his face was priceless when he found out he couldn't...... do much of anything except make phone calls and email.

I just think most people totally over look thr treo and have no clue as to what it can do.
    I'll agree Treo's are hard to spot because they have a similar form factor to a decent sized cell phone. The lighted screen and keyboard gives them away.

The blackberries seems to be rather awkward to hold up against the ear...
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Well, if they didn't include Treos in their PDA stats because it's a phone too... then did they still see fit to include convereged BB dumbphones?

If so... talk about bias!
    Just wait for the IDC report, and you will be totally confused by these Market "Research" firms.
    There are statistics to prove anything, 78% of americans know that!
    Since most people don't understand Macs, most people probably won't understand Treos either. Most people think Windows is the best, they'll probably think the same of blackberries and wince.
    That's fine...this is all prophecied in the Bible..."narrow is the gate and few there are that find it."
    The few of us know true power lies in Macs and Treos.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast