Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    A Treo is fine and good for personal use, I have one. But, Blackberries rule the corporate world because:
    1. Its easier to support because of its stability and limited end user tinkering.
    2. Many companies, including the one I'm at, do not support other protocols such as IMAP or POP. We use Exchange and the only way to get to it from the outside the firewalls are OWA and BES.
    3. If a user loses his BB device, I can reset it from the BES server and delete all the emails. I'm not sure if you can do that on a Treo.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    The Treo is for what ever you want it to. BB will eventially be surpassed by M$ as will Palm. I think that P1 needs to M$ device and you will see corp in trest explode. E-mail is only the beginng, the real game will soon be full laptop replacement!
    Ok, update on Bluetooth on Bb. I confirmed that the unit I bluejacked was a 7100 (Cingular). So perhaps the 72xx series do not have the file transfer capability. I will have to wait to find that one out as all the 7290 users are traveling from my office. But, I did confirm that the 7100 we have in our office can continue a bluetooth headset conversation from 55 feet within the office. Wow!

On the flipside, one of the earlier posts talked about the high percentage of blackberry users that also carried a cell phone. Remember that RIM first attacked the corporate world by moving blackberry PAGERS into the enterprise, which was our first application of them. There are still A LOT of those users in the enterprise. Therefore, yes, the majority of those users do also carry a cell phone. I can't believe that the majority of blackberry integraded phone customers also carry a cell phone. At least, that's not OUR experience. I have three direct reports who had the pager device for at least 7 months before upgrading to the cell phone capable unit. Those individuals must have counted toward that 75% during that period of time, yes?
    KitMoni
    Quote Originally Posted by jw68
    Blackberries rule the corporate world because:
    1. Its easier to support because of its [...] limited end user tinkering.
    I think this point is absolutely key. No matter how much we love tinkering with our Treos, from a corporate support standpoint, users who tinker are an absolute nightmare! Blackberries rule in that respect, because there's only so much that a user can screw up. Can you imagine trying to troubleshoot some of the problems that are being reported on this forum, while talking to a computer-illiterate VP on the other side of the country who has no idea what he just did, let alone how to undo it?
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by millsda2
    Just my opinion, but I don't even see PDAs, BlackBerries, and Treos in the same category. A PDA is just that...an organizer. A Blackberry is a phone with limited organizer and good email (and crappy browser). A Treo does EVERYTHING! It does more than a PDA, it does more than just a phone, and it does more than a Blackberry.

All hail the Treo!!
    Yes! This is a great device to do complete business with! And I would never want to be caught with one of those ugly, ugly Blackberries! Superficial yes, but I also want my communication devices to be decent looking!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah
    Rim has the corp world sewed up. Here in the DC area the Blackberry to Treo ratio is like 20 to 1.

The Blackberry name plays a big part in the consumer market. 80% of the people I talk to have never heard of the Treo. Where as at least 60% have heard of Blackberries.

But the Sidekick seems to be "average joes" number 1 choice. With the right marketing the Treo could steal a good chunk of the Sidekicks market with ease.
    I love when people who know no facts make up statistics. Why didn't you give us something meaningful, like 60% of people you know in DC double dip or something.

Blackberry to Treo ratio is "like" 20 to 1. You have to compare apples to apples. WHICH blackberries?

"80% of people I talk to never heard of the treo." Thanks, how many people you know and which ones are not relatives or senate pages?

"at least 60% have heard of blackberries". Did you do this survey yourself, sounds pretty sophisticated. Are you sure it wasn't at least 54%?

"But the Sidekick seems to be "average joes" number 1 choice." - Paris Hilton may be stupid and other things, but she isn't an average joe.

"With the right marketing the Treo could steal a good chunk of the Sidekicks market with ease." laughing....
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    The President of the United States and his advisers including Carl Rove use Blackberry.
    I knew there was a reason I never liked the Blackberry.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    I think this point is absolutely key. No matter how much we love tinkering with our Treos, from a corporate support standpoint, users who tinker are an absolute nightmare! Blackberries rule in that respect, because there's only so much that a user can screw up. Can you imagine trying to troubleshoot some of the problems that are being reported on this forum, while talking to a computer-illiterate VP on the other side of the country who has no idea what he just did, let alone how to undo it?
    you know I agree with you if you saw what I'd written earlier --

I think a solution that P1 could deliver would be a custom ROM for corp. users that allows only limited user customization. They would not be able to self install any applications without an administrative password.

It would have preinstalled all the needed corp. applications.

IT depts. could easily customize as apropriate for their particular needs -- but they would have the control over their knucklehead executive users that they want.
    Last edited by BARYE; 05/09/2005 at 03:23 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    A Treo is fine and good for personal use, I have one. But, Blackberries rule the corporate world because:
    1. Its easier to support because of its stability and limited end user tinkering.
    2. Many companies, including the one I'm at, do not support other protocols such as IMAP or POP. We use Exchange and the only way to get to it from the outside the firewalls are OWA and BES.
    3. If a user loses his BB device, I can reset it from the BES server and delete all the emails. I'm not sure if you can do that on a Treo.
    1. Never supported BB, however, I do not feel the Treo takes too much of my time. I have 60-70 in my company.

2. True, sort of...SEVEN provides this functionality. It is resold by the carriers. Sprint calls it Business Connection. I use the Enterprise solution(BCEE).
    Orange has their flavor, etc.

3. I can destroy all of my user's email information with BCEE.

Just a clarification/counterpoint.
    Treo 700P (& GoodLink Administrator)
    Simpsonized
    If and when BB support is available for the Palm OS why would anyone need a blackberry???? This would make the Treo the ideal device in my book.

Cheers
    I work for a sales organization in the $250 million range and we just started on the Blackberry bandwagon. We got a Blackberry server installed late last year and we have approx 25 Blackberry users. Because our CEO loves technology and using it to make more money, save money etc, he got us use Goodlink for the Treo users. We have 4 Treo users in the company, 3 of which are Treo 600 users including him, our CFO and one sales rep. I'm the only rep in the company with the 650. So we're on a 6 to 1 ratio of Blackberries to Treos.

I also sell to some of the largest companies in the country and have yet to come across a single Treo in any of them. However, I see a *ton* of blackberries from the manager level to C level and everything in between.

If only Palm would get more aggressive with the corporate world, they could go in with Good and kick ****. I just heard today that RIM has 3 million subscribers. I remember dealing with them many years ago (mid to late 90's), when you couldn't even tell what the heck their product lines were.

Palm needs to release the new firmware asap, then partner with Good (for Goodlink) and/or hurry up with the BlackberryConnect for the Treo NOW...not a year from now when Blackberry has 5 million+ subscribers.
    1. Good points.
    2. 7 of the Fortune 10 and over half of the Fortune 50 use GoodLink on Treos. GoodLink allows access to Exchange without OWA or BES.
    3. GoodLink allows this.

Now, I know we are talking BB vs Treo, however, a BB without email is an extremely limited and low functioning PDA. When comparing BB to Treo, you need to consider an email application to do a fair comparison. I use GoodLink because I know it. Obviously, there are other products out there similar to GoodLink that offer similar functionality on a Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    The President of the United States and his advisers including Carl Rove use Blackberry.
    I think the comparison of PC to mac and Blackberry to Treo 650 is close.The keyboard and email functionality of blackberry is much better for an average Joe. Not too many people need the multifunctional aspects of Treo 650.
    And the CTO of Cisco uses a Treo. Is he an average Joe?

http://www.forbes.com/technology/200...giancarlo.html
    Quote Originally Posted by crenshaw
    Wait a minute. According to this article at http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/stoc...FREE&cm_ite=NA, which also quotes the same Gartner study:

"Gartner's PDA data do not include smartphone sales."

So they included only non-Treos in the count for Palm? I don't get it. I'd rather see a study of phone-enabled BBs vs Treos...
    They also didn't include the BB 7100. Anyone who has dealt with Gartner studies like this has to understand that companies sponsor (read: pay for) these studies. If I was a gambling man (and I have been known to place a wager or two) I would guess that the folks in Waterloo commissioned this study. That is not to say it wrong, but leaving out the 7100 was the only way they could leave out the 650 because RIM likes to call the 7100 a smartphone. Other BB devices are not considered smartphones, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah
    Rim has the corp world sewed up. Here in the DC area the Blackberry to Treo ratio is like 20 to 1.

The Blackberry name plays a big part in the consumer market. 80% of the people I talk to have never heard of the Treo. Where as at least 60% have heard of Blackberries.

But the Sidekick seems to be "average joes" number 1 choice. With the right marketing the Treo could steal a good chunk of the Sidekicks market with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    I love when people who know no facts make up statistics. Why didn't you give us something meaningful, like 60% of people you know in DC double dip or something.
    who said they were scientific facts They are just my personal observations, show me where I stated otherwise... take it with a grain of salt.

Blackberry to Treo ratio is "like" 20 to 1. You have to compare apples to apples. WHICH blackberries?
    Once again my personal observations... specifically the Treo6xx series v/s BB 72xx, and 75xx series, and as of late lots of 7100's

I just don't see alot of Treo's... maybe you see it otherwise

"80% of people I talk to never heard of the treo." Thanks, how many people you know and which ones are not relatives or senate pages?
    dude who said I was doing a scientific study... I'm talking about the average Joe Schmoe walking down the street

"at least 60% have heard of blackberries". Did you do this survey yourself, sounds pretty sophisticated. Are you sure it wasn't at least 54%?
    :sigh: once again... my personal observations, show me where I stated otherwise...

"But the Sidekick seems to be "average joes" number 1 choice." - Paris Hilton may be stupid and other things, but she isn't an average joe.
    who do you think sold more units Dangers SK, or Palms Treo line for this years first quarter?

"With the right marketing the Treo could steal a good chunk of the Sidekicks market with ease." laughing....
    I knew there was a reason I never liked the Blackberry.
    Hahahahah now this cracks me up, even almost in the middle of the night :-)
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234