Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ekuzco
    Since most people don't understand Macs, most people probably won't understand Treos either. Most people think Windows is the best, they'll probably think the same of blackberries and wince.
    That's fine...this is all prophecied in the Bible..."narrow is the gate and few there are that find it."
    The few of us know true power lies in Macs and Treos.
    That's very good. I would think, though, that you'd be talking about Windows CE phones, or are they so horrible no one even considers them? When I was frustrated with my Treo600, before the 650 came out, I looked at Windows CE phones (I'm a mac user, but was desperate, and I think Missing Sync allows you to sync Windows CE to a MAC), and the guy at the store said under no conditions should I buy one of those, they crash constantly, and have no battery life at all. I never considered the Blackberry, since it has no PDA functionality, but perhaps it is, indeed, the ubiquitous Windows of the Smart Phone world, due to its popularity, and how much press it gets. I think the name is inspired, too, it is like "Kleenex", and has gotten synonymous with Smart Phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekuzco
    Since most people don't understand Macs, most people probably won't understand Treos either. Most people think Windows is the best, they'll probably think the same of blackberries and wince.
    That's fine...this is all prophecied in the Bible..."narrow is the gate and few there are that find it."
    The few of us know true power lies in Macs and Treos.
    Can't believe you pulled out the Bible on us, but I have to say I agree with you. If only people knew the 'TRUTH' they would never go back. I use both Mac & PC and I've use the Blackberry along with a lot of other phones/PDA's. I love my Mac & Treo!!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    I sure don't agree. I've used Macs over many years in my various art related jobs (and at a retail shop) and never found them to be inherently superior in any way, shape or form. Nice looking OS, a few cool aspects to it, but it doesn't do any job *I've* ever done any better than a PC could have done it.

This kind of discussion is best left to the fanboy-chest-thumping platform-war forums dedicated to that. I like my Treo quite a bit already. My last two PDAs were PalmOS powered. It doesn't mean I've blinded myself to the benefits of other platforms, though. I've owned many WinCE/WM/PPC devices, too. Each has their merits.

Statistics lie, but so does rabid platform loyalty.
    GEEKTOPIC - The Geek Forum. <--Free Hentai Image Forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    I must say, during s recent trip to NYC and DC. Blackberries are everywhere. I also have a eye out for a Treo. Sometimes they r very hard to spot.

My boss just bought a Blackberry. I thought it was very humerous, that one morning I am sitting in my office. Listening to an audiobook and loading some new apps. He comes in and ask me what I was doing. I told him listening to a audiobook and loading a few apps I downloaded from the web. He noticed the newest issue of PDA Essentials. (i left on my desk on purpose. It talks about Blackberries and there lack of being useful even as a PDA.). LOL. The look on his face was priceless when he found out he couldn't...... do much of anything except make phone calls and email.

I just think most people totally over look thr treo and have no clue as to what it can do.
    Better to have one gadget that does 3 things great than to have one gadget that does 10 things with sometimes minor and as we all know sometimes major problems.

But I still like my 650. However next week I'll be setting up e-mail and I'm betting it will be a pain in the *** I'm sure I'll be on here asking for help.

- Blades
    Mother do you think they'll drop the bomb?
    I work in IT in NYC and you see Blackberries everywhere. In the subway, restaurants, streets. I barely ever see business people with Treos, in my opinion BBs probably outnumber Treos 20 to 1, at least from what I see. PalmOne needs to penetrate the corporate market and there are 2 quick ways I can think of for them to do so.

1. A Windows Mobile Treo
    2. A License from Blackberry to allow Treos to Sync with BES
    Quote Originally Posted by jw68
    I work in IT in NYC and you see Blackberries everywhere. In the subway, restaurants, streets. I barely ever see business people with Treos, in my opinion BBs probably outnumber Treos 20 to 1, at least from what I see. PalmOne needs to penetrate the corporate market and there are 2 quick ways I can think of for them to do so.

1. A Windows Mobile Treo
    2. A License from Blackberry to allow Treos to Sync with BES
    I wonder if business people use them because of far mark-downs by BB?

Also, do IT managers/departments find BB easier to manage than Treos? I know when I worked in IT Palms were a pain. People never read the manual, installed software that made it crash, were computer (and palm) illiterate (see: never read the manual).

I just sold my T5 and getting a Treo later this month... did not even consider a BB. Then again, I am not in corporate America either.
    My limited experience helping other professionals is that they want something that works right out of the box with minimal setup and no 'reading of the manual'. I have issues with people who want the newest pda/smartphone and they can't even setup a simple POP email acct??

I've never played with the blackberry much but my guess is that its easier to set up for email and that's probably why it gets more word of mouth (and eventually more sales). Well see...I think palm is well on its way.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I'm not in a corporate or IT field, but my treo is invaluable in my profession, medicine- a Blackberry would be completely useless for me, since I rely on 3rd party apps that are unavailable on RIM. But, even if I were corporate, I can't imagine one function (email) outweighing all of the other functions, such as viewing/creating documents, spreadsheets, PDFs (if you were lucky enough to find the hacked Picsel) that the Treo does well, for less money. Plus, the Treo does have SOME email, web, and IM functionality. I guess the BES trumps everything, though. If (when?) Palm gets that functionality, I can't see any reason why a Blackberry would be needed.

-Sketchy
    Last edited by sketchy9; 05/07/2005 at 02:24 AM.
    Maybe it is because I have one,but when traveling on planes lately I see more 7100s than treos.also pocket day for the bb gives me a far better view of my day,week,month than anything I found on the treo.not all bbs are bricks.bb was built for security which is why corporations have embraced bes.my phone has been rock solid stable for 6 months since purchased.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    blackberries may handle email better, but are also cheaper than treos. I think cost is a big factor here, which is what the corporations figure in when considering what device to invest in.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi
    May 6, 2005 article on Earthtimes.org website:

Earthtimes.org Article Places Blackberry #1 based on sales

Also thought this was interesting;

palmOne is also set to launch its hard drive equipped PDA - the LifeDrive or Tungsten X -- the first such device that can be mounted on a computer desktop using a USB 2 port with facilities for file transfer. It is designed to be a full-fledged music player and capable of copying digital images from SD cards.
    Bear in mind that this is NOT as a result of the Blackberry being a better idea or better hardware... This is because the Treo 650's SOFTWARE sucks so bad
    Quote Originally Posted by crenshaw
    These results are based on the first quarter of 2005, when the Treo 650 first came out. Would be interesting to see the results after the second quarter.

I know a lot more folks buying Treo 650s than Blackberries...
    INCORRECT!

The Sprint PCS version came out last fall and the Sprint customer base is HUGE. Wait til the 2nd and 3rd quarter results come out! LOL

Dear PalmOne: Tick Tock
    Rim has the corp world sewed up. Here in the DC area the Blackberry to Treo ratio is like 20 to 1.

The Blackberry name plays a big part in the consumer market. 80% of the people I talk to have never heard of the Treo. Where as at least 60% have heard of Blackberries.

But the Sidekick seems to be "average joes" number 1 choice. With the right marketing the Treo could steal a good chunk of the Sidekicks market with ease.
    Quote Originally Posted by camartin
    Maybe it is because I have one,but when traveling on planes lately I see more 7100s than treos.also pocket day for the bb gives me a far better view of my day,week,month than anything I found on the treo.not all bbs are bricks.bb was built for security which is why corporations have embraced bes.my phone has been rock solid stable for 6 months since purchased.
    And there you have it folks: ROCK SOLID STABLE... for business.

In highly competitive business you WANT and NEED "ROCK SOLID STABILITY" unlike PalmOne fanboys who want something to **** with for hours on end... evidently.
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah
    Rim has the corp world sewed up. Here in the DC area the Blackberry to Treo ratio is like 20 to 1.

The Blackberry name plays a big part in the consumer market. 80% of the people I talk to have never heard of the Treo. Where as at least 60% have heard of Blackberries.

But the Sidekick seems to be "average joes" number 1 choice. With the right marketing the Treo could steal a good chunk of the Sidekicks market with ease.
    With the right marketing ANNNND... Rock Solid Stability... THAT is first.
    I'm pretty sure if we use our Treos only for phone calls and e-mails our Treos would have that "Rock Solid Stability" factor. For me I enjoy all that my Treo can do.. BB's can you do what my Treo can do?????
    Quote Originally Posted by docmaster
    With the right marketing ANNNND... Rock Solid Stability... THAT is first.
    My Treo is very stable, but still not as stable as my Blackberry was. I can count on one hand the amount of resets I've had in a month of owning my Treo. So no real stability complaints from me.

If palmone bundled a program to import movies, a 256mb SD card, and a built in IM program.

Then marketed a movie player, mp3 player, IM/SMS ready phone(with a qwerty board) towards consumers. The public would eat it up.

They seem to be stuck on trying to get the business market. But IMO there's a tech savy market of 20&30 somethings out there that would love this phone.. If they knew it existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah
    My Treo is very stable, but still not as stable as my Blackberry was. I can count on one hand the amount of resets...
    Your Treo 650 is no more "stable" than anyone else's friend... and it does not operate as advertised... period.
    I agree that more people would purchase a treo if they knew its capabilities. people at work always ask "what's that" when they see my treo. a funny thing is this guy at work swears that his side kick II is better than my t650, lol. I'm not part of corporate america but i'm very tech savy. I got really tired of buying a new phone every six months out of boredom. it was also nice to sell my ipaq. I also influenced my mom to purchase the t650 aslo and she's a retiree.
    The most unsung part of the Treo is push-mail functionality. If people knew that an app like Chatter, with true-push and realtime synch (including Exchange), it would make a huge difference.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast