1.    #1  
    It seems that the 1.21 download that was being hosted at mac.com (as mentioned in this thread) has been taken down, and I can't seem to find reference to any other mirror. Could someone please point me towards an available copy, or email it to me at treofw@snikte.net? I want to fall back from 1.23 to 1.21 due to the Saved Preferences instability. I'll also be happy to put it up on my site alongside the 1.23 download.

Thanks!
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    http://www.palmdubai.net/PD_FW121B.zip

1. First make sure that your Treo is fully charged, and that your Treo is connected to both a power supply and your PC.

2. Remove your SIM card,

3. Perform a HotSync operation to backup your data,

4. Perform a Hard Reset,

5. HotSync your Treo with your PC you will be asked to select a user or create a new account, select New and enter a completely new user name, (please note: do not sync to the same old username unless the update is completed)

6. Unzip the file downloaded,

7. Install all the files using the palmOne Quick Install to the new username you created in step 5,

8. Sync your Treo and set tied Ďtil itís completed.

9. Once the HotSync operation is completed the Treo upgrade will start,

10. Set tied and do not interrupt the operation no matter what happen,

11. Your Treo will start; follow the on screen instruction Ďtil upgrade is completed,

12. Once upgrade is completed Treo configuration will start, complete the setup,

13. When itís all done; perform a Hard Reset,

14. Locate the Backup folder of the new username you created in Step 5 (C:\Program Files\palmOne\New_Name\Backup) and Rename it just incase,

15. Then perform a HotSync operation to restore your data, this time you can select you Old username to restore your personal data and applications,

16. Insert your SIM card and turn the Radio signal ON, your Treo might hang the first time or take very long time to find the operator signal,

17. Congrat you done.
    Last edited by SmithKA; 05/06/2005 at 08:16 AM.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Thanks! Can some kind soul do the same for v1.15? I think a "library" of recent firmware is a good idea especially as now there is no way for me to go back to Cingular Firmware. Thanks in advance.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks! I know what I'll be doing this evening.

ediamond: the 1.15 package is linked from post #16 in this thread.

When I get home tonight, I'll put both of these up on my site alongside 1.23.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    no thanks I will wait for Palmone to release better update method
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    I wish I could find employees that are half as enthusiastic, dedicated and that would put even a fraction of their time, attention and energy into their job as you all on treocentral put into this sinking pda ship called SS Treo 650.

I have watched, at a distance, in disbelief over the months since the first press releases about the Treo 650 started coming out... the promises of this and that... high resolution cameras, more memory, Bluetooth etc. etc...

Again and again I see the disappointed posts on this forum when Palm continues to miss deadlines and produce the incredibly short-sighted, convoluted, buggy software for this impressive hardware.

Maybe I missed this sentiment in the past, but for the first time I'm seeing admissions of disgust from experienced software developers over the past couple of weeks. These statements were made when someone asked "Why doesn't someone just design a custom program to do "X" to replace what PalmOne has?" I wish I could go back and find the one post in particular I'm thinking about that best emphasizes this... that basically slammed PalmOne as being next to impossible to work with.

Dedicated Palm OS fans, be honest with yourself... Having witnessed the incredible leap from the Treo 180/300 to the Treo 600, with it's common sense approach to menus and great programmable hard keys...

Did you expect this?... in the year 2005? Did you ever see an abortion like the Treo 650 coming? Did you expect to see a well informed forum filled with disappointment, disgust and disbelief?

Don't feel bad, I'm an optimist too and was really excited about the pending release, I had expected more... I didn't see it coming either.
    Doc, since you have sold your phone, what's the point? You were not happy with the T650. Just use something else. No problem there. I never had a T600, but I am very happy with my T650. Would I like some improvements? Sure. But the experts seem to agree that the T650 is the best smartphone out there.

Who's with me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    Doc, since you have sold your phone, what's the point? You were not happy with the T650. Just use something else. No problem there. I never had a T600, but I am very happy with my T650. Would I like some improvements? Sure. But the experts seem to agree that the T650 is the best smartphone out there.

Who's with me?
    Yeah, sorry... just a little bitter about all the waiting for BT.. then the letdown.

Going back to the 600.

Still have some small glimmer of hope for the few people at P1 that DO give a crap... guess I'll just stick to the crusade.
    Can someone re-post the 1.21 download for the SD method? I keep getting the "Dupplicated Partition" error when doing the HotSync method !!! Any idea as well?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by huydttran
    Can someone re-post the 1.21 download for the SD method? I keep getting the "Dupplicated Partition" error when doing the HotSync method !!! Any idea as well?
    If anyone finds it, please let me know and I'll gladly put it up on my site with the others.

huydttran: is your phone a locked Cingular unit? I seem to recall that someone suggested that the hotsync method "partition" problem only occured with locked devices.
    no...mine is an unlocked Cing unit.
    Well...went directly to the 1.23 via the SD method. Gained about 3.5 mb ... things are looking good.
    Please help...I followed the directions completely as above then it said "cannot upgrade" something about a partitioning error and I needed to use the SD installer...but it shows up as 1.21 firmware....anyone?
    Last edited by E-Cat1; 05/10/2005 at 12:37 PM.
    i get the same errors. Im gonna give 1.23 a try...
  15.    #15  
    The 1.21 SD method files are now available at ftp://ftp.snikte.net/Treo650_FW1.21_SDMethod.zip