1.    #1  

Why does everyone go toward these hacks and beta versions for firmware updates? There are already about 4 threads about problems with 1.23 and 1.21.

I've had my locked (for now) GSM for 3 weeks now and I've had zero problems. Gmail works fine with Versamail, phone and SMS are not a problem (cingular can have better service, but that's not the 650's fault), memory is fine.

Why would I go to "a guy-on-the-net who knows another guy-on-the-net" to get a major software upgrade to a very expensive piece of equipment, that can cause more problems and possibly void my warranty?

Why doesn't everyone wait for the official release from PalmOne?
    Cingular 680
    Well, a direct scenario would be two guys buys a Honda Civic (or Mustangs if you hate Hondas). You can either be Guy A who drives it "stock", put in 87 octane, and uses it "as is" and life goes on. Or you can be Guy B, the one who runs out and buy a car kit, engine upgrades, new wheels, and maybe a decal or two because he wants it to be diffferent. Case in point, it all depends on the user.
    As Sir Edmund Hilary so eloquently put it: "Because it was there."
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  4.    #4  
    OK, so it's a hot-rodding thing. I can dig that.

(and i know I'm sounding impatient) But does Palm not give out official updates on their site often? Is that another reason for the "hacks"?
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by NJPsycho

(and i know I'm sounding impatient) But does Palm not give out official updates on their site often? Is that another reason for the "hacks"?
    Exactly! The 1.08 update or whatever is the most recent firmware update for CDMA treos have been released a long while ago. We're still sitting here waiting for the GSM version. We too, would like fixes and a more stable treo.
    Treo 650 w/ TMO + T Zones.
    ^ hopeful for EDGE in NYC. <-- I think its paying off
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=88977
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=85140

http://startotal.net
    Actually I was really not interested in the "Beta" with fear that I would end up screwing up my Treo. I figure just wait for the real thing.
    But I was in a bind. I wanted to install "Tubes" new York and "Rough Guide" New York for a NYC trip I was taking. They're huge with lots of maps.
    I couldn't fit either one of them individually in the Treo. But after the update I was able to fit BOTH of them with some room to spare.
    We're talking about a 4 to 1 size difference in memory efficiency with these two programs... it must be the way the databases are structured. If there's anything to attest to the improvement in memory efficiency, these programs are a great example.

I only did the update with hopes I'd get the programs to fit, and they did, and only did it because so many people had good success.

I'm still on 1.21. I figure if the real thing is coming soon, I'll wait. I'm simply too paranoid to keep needlessly updating the firmware on my $600 phone. 1.21 is working very well for me except when I lose tower signal.. it seems I end up having to reset the phone with the hole in the back (warm reset doesn't even help) to get it back to working right. I noticed this going in and out of subways a lot in NY, eventually i just shut the phone off before going down to reduce this.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G

you've said what I'd been thinking.

if I were having issues with stability or volume, the risk and nuisance of doing the upgrade might have been worth the effort.

But when a newer, official FW release is only days away, what foreseeable advantage could make the risk and nuisance of doing that upgrade worth the effort -- particularly if your Treo is stable.

My first Treo froze after every call, despite having no applications or contacts installed.

Palm sent a replacement (after I gave them another $25) which has worked fine.

But I'm grateful for the pioneers willing to do the beta testing. Its their experiences that makes the journey much easier for the rest of us.

(to identify a true "pioneer" look for the scars -- and arrows sticking out their backs...)
    Last edited by BARYE; 05/06/2005 at 03:17 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)

Why does everyone go toward these hacks and beta versions for firmware updates? There are already about 4 threads about problems with 1.23 and 1.21.

I've had my locked (for now) GSM for 3 weeks now and I've had zero problems. Gmail works fine with Versamail, phone and SMS are not a problem (cingular can have better service, but that's not the 650's fault), memory is fine.

Why would I go to "a guy-on-the-net who knows another guy-on-the-net" to get a major software upgrade to a very expensive piece of equipment, that can cause more problems and possibly void my warranty?

Why doesn't everyone wait for the official release from PalmOne?
    I too will wait for Palm to release the official updates. Let others take chances with their phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The thing is, I don't want to have to install a beta and then install the official version. A hard reset is painful for me to deal with, especially with Chatter, because I'd have to set up all of my folders and settings again for IMAP, and that's a pain to do. I'd rather wait for an official release for something so major.
    A hard reset isn't that big of a deal - after the restore, Chatter and all your other apps will be back where you left them, configured as you left them.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    The answer to your question "Why so impatient?" has nothing to do with people wanting to hack their phones. Whether or not you install a beta a lot of us are impatient because our phone have so many $%!@%@#! problems! The PalmOne quality control of their software and maybe hardware is the worst I have dealt with with a mobile device. They rush stuff to market without adequate testing. I resolved to myself NEVER to buy another palm one device until it has been through at least one patch cycle. Verizon seems to agree with me on this. *END RANT*

Anyway that's why we are impatient...
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    A hard reset isn't that big of a deal - after the restore, Chatter and all your other apps will be back where you left them, configured as you left them.
    This surely was not true in my case. I had to re-do all of my folders in Chatter and it was a pain in the ****.
    Odd, I've not heard of anyone else having problems with Chatter. What backup/restore tool did you use? I guess it's possible that it didn't back up the Chatter files since they were open. I always shut down Chatter when backing up before any major upgrades, just to be on the safe side.