Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Well, lately I really don't care too much if my calls go to voicemail so I'm making one of my main mailboxes qsync every 5 minutes the second important one qsyncs every 10 and the third one every 15. The spam folders qsync every 20 minutes. With this configuration sometimes my Treo service light goes red and I see the WAIT read message. Plus, now it seems like even if I delete something and quick synch, after an automated quick sync I get all those old messages back. I'm logging this issue and will report to Marc if it happens again.

Al
    WTF, 4 days without push email. This is getting ridiculous. WTF is AOL doing with the IMAP server. I contact them already and it seems like they have stop supporting it.

Al
    While this is not helpful, the following exchange I had with AOL Live Help is amusing. I was tired of being Mike, so decided to be Abe Lincoln.

AOLTechVMR has joined this session!
    Hello, Abe Lincoln. Welcome to Live Technical Support. My name is Ver.
    Mike Elmendorf stated the question or problem as: The IDLE command on AOL's IMAP server for open e-mail access has not been working for 5 days now. This makes it very difficult to get e-mail and is very aggravating. What is going on?. .
    Are you signed on with the same computer that you need assistance with?
    You say, Yeah
    AOLTechVMR says, I apologize for the inconvenience that this issue has caused you.
    AOLTechVMR says, Just to clarify Abe, I understand that you are not receiving your AOL mails through another e-mail client. Is that correct?
    You say, I can receive them.
    You say, But they do not push.
    You say, You have to go fetch them.
    You say, Previously it would push the e-mails to the device.
    You say, But now it doesn't because the IDLE command went offline.
    You say, (That's the main advantage of using an IMAP server, so it seems odd)
    You say, This happened a week or so ago, but it was fixed a day later.
    You say, And then it started about 5 days ago and has been down ever since.
    AOLTechVMR says, Have you gone to Keyword OPEN MAIL access for information on setting up another e-mail client to send and receive your AOL mails?
    You say, Ummm. NO.
    You say, Problem isn't with the client.
    You say, Problem is with AOL.
    You say, It was working fine for some time, and then stopped.
    You say, Many others are having the same problem.
    AOLTechVMR says, I understand Abe, to make sure that the client is properly setup, please go to Keyword OPEN MAIL ACCESS
    You say, Yes.
    You say, It is set up properly.
    AOLTechVMR says, Please double check on it.
    You say, Ok. I checked. It is set up properly. Ok, no, I didn't really, because I already knew.
    You say, Now what?
    You say, The same set up that was working fine no longer works.
    You say, And this is because the IDLE command is not working on AOL's IMAP server.
    You say, The software can detect that and automatically places the mailbox offline.
    AOLTechVMR says, Have you contacted the support for the other email client you are using?
    You say, Meaning it can get messages by going in and checking. With IDLE working, when a message arrives, it automatically pops out to the device.
    You say, Yes. They are aware. And they know it is an AOL problem.
    You say, In fact, every IMAP client that uses the IDLE command is having the same issue.
    You say, So it is not related to the client, my device, my setup, or anything other than a problem with AOL's server.
    AOLTechVMR says, Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) and Short for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
    (SMTP) are protocols for handling e-mail messages on a mail server. They are used "behind the scenes" by e-mail applications.
    AOLTechVMR says, These are the information being supported on AOL.
    You say, I am aware of that.
    You say, And the idle command is a function on the IMAP server that allows a mailbox to remain online and get messages as they are received.
    You say, As opposed to having to go and check for the message.
    You say, And, as I mentioned a few times, this had been working great until about a week ago, when it went down for a bit, came back for a few days, and has been gone for 5 days.
    You say, I'm getting the idea that maybe you aren't clear on what I am talking about here.
    AOLTechVMR says, To best assist you on this issue, please contact your other e-mail client support again
    to help you reset your settings.
    You say, Um.
    You say, NO.
    You say, That is not the problem.
    You say, The problem is with AOL's server.
    AOLTechVMR says, Rest assured that I will also escalate this issue to the correct department for proper investigation.
    You say, I am sure. Thank you.
    You are welcome. To thank you today, you are eligible to claim a free $25 restaurant gift card when you enroll in an entertainment discount program that can save you money on movies, music, dining and more.
    http://chat.inq.com/frontline/client...rframe/top.htm
    Please click on the Chat LIVE button to be connected to an agent who will explain the details on how you can
    claim your free gift card. Have a great day!
    AOLTechVMR says, Bye and take care :-)
    You say, Can I use it at Morton's?
    AOLTechVMR has left this session!
    The session has ended!
    lol!!! You've got to love those guys. I really wish one of us knew someone "important" at AOL to get this escalated.

Marc
    MikeElmendorf,

Great report of the issue. Do you mind if we let others use your words as a templete so we can better report the issue? I think a lot of people don't report the issue to AOL Help because they don't really know what to say or what the problem is exactly. Especially, when they start saying that they want to reset the setting in Internet Explorer or that we should contact ChatterEmail.

Thanks,

Al
    Mar,

That is a great idea. I know a lot of people from different organizations read TreoCentral so if anybody that knows somebody in AOL that can help this issue get fixed it would be great.

Thanks,

Al
    Sure. And I am also sure I can get to someone at AOL. I just didn't want to have to do that. I am going to go to Live Help again before I head out for the day, and will post anymore amusing exchanges.
    Not as much fun, but still amusing. This guy wasn't as obtuse as the last.

ME

Hello, Millard Fillmore. Welcome to Live Technical Support. My name is Gary.
    Mike Elmendorf stated the question or problem as: The IDLE command on AOL's IMAP server for open e-mail access has not been working for 5 days now. This makes it very difficult to get e-mail and is very aggravating. What is going on?. .
    You say, I am on my computer.
    You say, But the problem is not with my computer.
    TechLiveGISH says, I understand how something like this can really try your patience.
    You say, Amen.
    TechLiveGISH says, Could you please tell me have you configured your Outlook to send and receive AOL mails?
    You say, Not using Outlook, but it is configured correctly. It had been working for some time, but stopped working briefly a week ago, came back, and then went down again 5 days ago.
    You say, Problem is not with my configuration--everyone else is having the same problem.
    You say, Problem is with AOL's IMAP server's idle command being down.
    You say, Meaning that the only way to get e-mail is to have the software keep checking.
    You say, Previously, using IDLE, it would push out as soon as a new message arrived as the mailbox could be kept online.
    TechLiveGISH says, Thank you for the information.
    You say, You're welcome, Gary.
    TechLiveGISH says, I would suggest you re configure it and then check.
    You say, Yeah.
    You say, That's what the last guy suggested, too.
    You say, That doesn't work.
    You say, There is a problem with AOL's server, not my device or the software.
    TechLiveGISH says, On your behalf, I have submitted a problem report to the technical team for investigation. Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention.
    You say, Thank you.
    You say, Do they ever actually follow up on those?
    You say, To be clear, the problem is with the idle command.
    TechLiveGISH says, Yes we do.
    You say, AOL's IMAP server had supported it.
    You say, Which was great.
    You say, But now it is not working.
    You say, And let's just say, that's not so great.
    You say, In fact, it's bad.
    You say, And a real problem.
    TechLiveGISH says, I can understand your concern.
    You say, A lot of people are very upset about this.
    TechLiveGISH says, I sincerely apologize for it.
    You say, Thank you. I am sure you didn't cause the trouble! But it would be great if we could go ahead and get it fixed.
    You say, Well, Gary, thanks for your help.
    You say, I hope we can get this squared away in short order.
    TechLiveGISH says, You're welcome.
    TechLiveGISH says, Have a good day!
    You say, You too.
    It has been my pleasure assisting you.
    To thank you today, you are eligible to claim a free $25 restaurant gift card when you enroll in an entertainment discount program that can save you money on movies, music, dining and more.
    http://chat.inq.com/frontline/client...rframe/top.htm
    Please click the Chat LIVE button to be connected to an agent who will explain the details on how you can claim your free
    gift card. Have a great day!
    You say, Last guy never answered--can I use that certificate at Morton's?
    You say, Because if I can, I'm all in.
    You say, I could go for a good steak about now.
    You say, I guess not. Oh well--thanks.
    I have contacted two friends that know high-level people at AOL; they said they'd make an inquiry for me... We'll see!

Marc
    Marc,

Thanks a lot for doing that for all of us. Each of us need to keep reporting this. I'm going to report this issue again tonight and so on until they fix this.

Al
    I couldn't contact AOL Live Help yesterday, but I did today and this is what I was told:

AOLTechHJN has joined this session!
    Hello, Al. Welcome to Live Technical Support. My name is Nash.
    BeLion007 stated the question or problem as: The IDLE command on AOL's IMAP server for open e-mail access has not been working for 6 days now. This makes it very difficult to get e-mail and is very aggravating. What is going on?. ..
    You say, Yes
    AOLTechHJN says, Thank you for the information.
    AOLTechHJN says, I understand that you are having difficulty accessing your e-mails using AOL's IMAP server because the IDLE command is not working.
    You say, So you are aware of the issue? When is it going to be fixed?
    AOLTechHJN says, Let me check to see if there is a system problem. Please hold a moment.
    You say, OK
    AOLTechHJN says, I don't see any reports of a system problem at this time.
    AOLTechHJN says, Thank you for waiting. I appreciate your patience.
    AOLTechHJN says, To further assist you, can you tell me if you are using a third-party e-mail program that uses AOL's IMAP server when you are experiencing this problem?
    You say, well, the IDLE command on AOL's IMAP server for open e-mail access has not been working for 6
    days now. You say, Yes
    You say, Problem is with AOL.
    AOLTechHJN says, I understand.
    You say, It was working fine for some time, and then stopped.
    You say, Many others are having the same problem.
    AOLTechHJN says, Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention.
    AOLTechHJN says, On your behalf, I have submitted a problem report to the technical team for investigation. Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention.
    You say, You're welcome. Thanks
    AOLTechHJN says, You're welcome.
    AOLTechHJN says, In the future you may want to report this kind of problem by going to AOL Keyword: SYSTEM RESPONSE.
    AOLTechHJN says, Thank you for visiting AOL Live Help.
    AOLTechHJN has left this session!
    The session has ended!

I have never heard of this AOL Keyword: SYSTEM RESPONSE
    Maybe we can start reporting here too.

Al
    Anybody has any updates on this? It seems like nobody at AOL has done anything to fix this.

Just when everything felt like it was going great this has to happen.

Al
    Just checked, still having the same problem. Is this a problem or have they disabled this feature for good?

Michael
    We don't know what is going on. I think Mark and Mike were trying to get somebody at AOL take a look at this issue, but I haven't heard from them. Somebody at TC said that it was problably some technical issue and that it could not be that AOL disabled it. Other people including myself believe that AOL might have disabled it because they probably think it is an extra feature ($$).
    I think we need to contact somebody up in the chain of command. I don't know anybody though.

Al
    Is it just me or is AOL IDLE IMAP email working today with chatter??
    Mine seemed to hold on for 30 seconds or so but then threw me offline...

The next time the "blue envelope" stayed down in the corner but I did not pick up any mail til I did a "Qsync All".

Seems like something is different but it doesn't seem to be working for me. Just teasing...
    Last edited by deer8; 05/18/2005 at 12:38 PM.
    It is not working. Sometimes, it looks like it is, but it connects and disconnects every minute or so and finally goes OFFLINE.
    I'm getting a "Login Failed" from AOL the last couple days ( I sent log to Marc and it said "mailbox unavailable".). Anyone else having this problem with AOL (trying to qsync every 15 minutes).
    deer8, treolo - BTW, I hear that "next week" is the likely timeframe for an IDLE fix.

Marc
    I can't wait and I'm about to die here. Non-push users don't know what they are missing. Once you go Push mail there is no going back. Just like once you have DSL, Cable TV or a Treo, you can't live without it. May the force be with us..

Thanks a lot Marc for everything,

Al
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast